NB Whitefield is back!

MrsM

Featured Posts

Just now, Alway Swilby said:

The original Fernwood owners retired round about 2012/13 ish and I believe they sold the company then. The Fernwood that went into administration "a while back" wasn't the Fernwood that built NB Whitefield.

Thank you, wasn't sure.

1 minute ago, zenataomm said:

To sum it up ...

£125K for an 8 year old boat which has halved its value during that time.

I don't think so.

Well its 12 years old by most peoples reckoning.

But you are correct about the halving of value.

I reckon it will sell for about 90k

I like the interior. It isn’t mandatory to have a dismal dark coffin-like interior such as one finds on oak lined boats, reminiscent of a bygone age that never actually existed. I dislike all-electric cooking though.

Joystick steering seems a bit daft but hey, airbus has fly by wire and you don’t mind travelling in one of those! 

Yes the outside is a little odd but I’ve seen a lot worse on the cut.

We saw the boat languishing at Aston Marina a few years ago. The red looked pretty faded so either it’s had a repaint or they are old photos.

Five TVs is precisely 5 more than I have at home since binning mine a few years ago. Had no urge to get one in lockdown.

The boat's not to my taste, or budget lol, but all that fangled 12 year old gadgetry starts to wear and fail. Look at all the electronic wizardry in modern cars and how things fail, expensively, as they get older. Motors, sensors etc etc.

Joystick steering, just why? It could be done with ropes and handlebars but that makes as much sense as joystick when this type of boat has been proven over two centuries to work well with direct tiller.

Sleek med cruiser looking inside, stylish, great for Monaco summers, but how does it fare being hammered through a bad winter alongside boggy towpaths? The craftsmanship in it though does look to have originally been excellent.

So, a quirky looking 12 year old boat, assuming good hull and engine, very attractive and quality interior if to your taste. 12 year old tech and complicated gadgets that are prob dated in spec.

What's it worth to the one buyer it needs to find? I can't see it being six figures.

11 hours ago, dmr said:

link copied from a recent thread on this forum:

https://narrowboats.apolloduck.co.uk/boat/narrow-boats-tugs/610116

I don't totally like the interior, but compared to Whitfield it is very very desirable, why would anybody buy Whitefield when they could have this (and for much less money too)?.

................Dave

Because there is actually some living space on Whitefield? 

The description starts off by saying it is a very well-known boat on the system.  True, but for all the wrong reasons!

I'd be surprised if those photos are current.  And as for that cratch & cover ...

Some newbie with more money than sense might buy it, but I can't see it getting anywhere near six figures.  If it does sell, bet it stays in a marina and used as a show-off asset.

• Greenie 1

6 minutes ago, dor said:

.  If it does sell, bet it stays in a marina and used as a show-off asset.

I was thinking along similar lines. Luxurious inside but impracticable to cruise, it might attract potential static liveaboard buyers. The trouble is, I doubt whether many such buyers have £100,000 + to thrash out.

The quality of the fit out really is top notch <if you like that style>. Unfortunately the whole package is just not right/fit for purpose in the bits that matter.

Imagine people watching the TV at home about canal boats and thinking "let's get one and get away from it all - this one's great, it's got 5 tellies so we can go on it and watch other people getting away from it all".  ;) 

Edited by mark99
  • Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Athy said:

I was thinking along similar lines. Luxurious inside but impracticable to cruise, it might attract potential static liveaboard buyers. The trouble is, I doubt whether many such buyers have £100,000 + to thrash out.

And if they did have that sort of money for a non cruising boat they would want a wide beam instead.

4 hours ago, mark99 said:

The quality of the fit out really is top notch <if you like that style>. Unfortunately the whole package is just not right/fit for purpose in the bits that matter.

Imagine people watching the TV at home about canal boats and thinking "let's get one and get away from it all - this one's great, it's got 5 tellies so we can go on it and watch other people getting away from it all".  ;) 

When we lived in a house we had one tellie, and one day we realised that we had only turned it on twice in the past three years, so when we went looking for a boat having 5 tellies was not one of our requirements ?.

................Dave

5 minutes ago, dmr said:

one day we realised that we had only turned it on twice in the past three years,

................Dave

For some people, that could have been because they'd turned it off only once.

On 19/06/2020 at 15:05, dmr said:

When we lived in a house we had one tellie, and one day we realised that we had only turned it on twice in the past three years, so when we went looking for a boat having 5 tellies was not one of our requirements ?.

................Dave

At a marina, a while ago.

Man had arrived at their boat prior to his lady.

On ladies arrival man,

"Dear I've forgotten the television,"

Lady: "What do you mean you've forgotten the TV."

Man: "Exactly what I said."

Lady " god how am I going to manage 2 weeks without a television."

At this juncture I felt it better to go below.

Edited by Ray T
  • Haha 1

On 18/06/2020 at 18:01, MrsM said:

Brilliant!! Hubby and I were just having the old cassette v pump-out discussion last night. He's pump-out and I'm cassette. As a bowel cancer survivor this is a subject that is close to my heart! ? #sharingtoomuchtoosoon

Having had rectal cancer I can heartily recommend a waterless toilet (some call it composting).  So much more convenient and less hassle (also less cost) than the two other methods you mention ?

For all those who like to promote their own personal choice unless you have had bowel or rectal cancer I shall totally ignore any of your responses ?. If it helps I have had both pump out and cassette.

4 minutes ago, Dartagnan said:

For all those who like to promote their own personal choice unless you have had bowel or rectal cancer I shall totally ignore any of your responses ?. If it helps I have had both pump out and cassette.

I have not suffered with either of those Cancers, but am wondering what is the difference in sitting on a 'bucket' with sawdust in the bottom, and sitting on a bucket with water in the bottom.

Maybe there is one and I am missing something, but at present I cannot see any benefit to either system.

2 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I have not suffered with either of those Cancers, but am wondering what is the difference in sitting on a 'bucket' with sawdust in the bottom, and sitting on a bucket with water in the bottom.

Maybe there is one and I am missing something, but at present I cannot see any benefit to either system.

I was just about to post much the same question. SWMBO has had anal cancer and her only concern is that a loo is available at short notice; whether it's a bucket of sawdust, a briefcase or a large tank is completely immaterial to her.

24 minutes ago, WotEver said:

I was just about to post much the same question. SWMBO has had anal cancer and her only concern is that a loo is available at short notice; whether it's a bucket of sawdust, a briefcase or a large tank is completely immaterial to her.

And that is what is so very wonderful about having a means of transport with your own private facilities! When I was first recovering we bought a secondhand motorhome off eBay so we could travel all over Europe with our (now grown-up) kids. It was just amazing and took away all the fear of being caught out away from a loo. I don't think there would be much of an advantage between the different types in my personal case; it's rather that I'm very used to emptying a cassette loo and haven't used a pump-out before. There is something cowardly comforting about familiar systems and I am determined to be able to manage and maintain as much as I can on the boat myself. Saying that I don't doubt that I would quickly master the pump-out system. Can't quite get my head around composting loos ATM but again that is probably down to my inexperience and ignorance. 

• Greenie 1

11 minutes ago, MrsM said:

Can't quite get my head around composting loos ATM but again that is probably down to my inexperience and ignorance. 

No... it's simply that you're practical and sensible ;)

• Greenie 1