Why can't I get any ensusiasim for cruising plan this year

tagulablue

Featured Posts

33 minutes ago, Duck-n-Dive said:

I had loads of advice telling me that 57'6 is the longest boat that could do the Huddersfield, and the Salterhebble, but I had no problems at all at 59'3".

Same here 60 foot and with both fenders down still got through 

43 minutes ago, peterboat said:

Same here 60 foot and with both fenders down still got through 

My boat is 57ft and descending Salterhebble required some very careful manoeuvring to avoid being swamped by the top gate leakage. The last time I was down was two years ago so perhaps they are not so leaky now.

3 hours ago, dmr said:

Are you sure?  I have read somewhere that one or two are strictly 70foot.  We still dream of doing the HNC but we are a fraction over 6'11" at the back which I think  means we can't.

Anyway we also have no enthusiasm for cruising this year, whats the point in going cruising if the pubs are shut? Going to find a quiet place to hide for the rest of the year and continue with the lock down maintenance frenzy.

...............Dave

When I came down off the HNC (west side) the other week I thought of you. The canal is so shallow in places I don’t think your deep drafted boat would make it. Yet more gravel has washed from the towpath in to the water, particularly by bridge holes and lock landings making it really difficult to get to the bank. 
A real shame, it’s a favourite canal of mine but I think it’ll be awhile before I make a trek up there again. 

A lot of new cyclepath washed into the Rochdale too. They've just dredged where its gone right across the canal but have left the stuff where its near the bank so there are now whole new lengths where a boat can't get to the bank, makes me cross. However I would likely not want to moor there anyway as the cycleway comes right to the canal edge, I really want a metre of grass so I can step off the boat without getting runover....rant over.

I think the tunnel is the big issue for us, I believe they fitted some sort of cable along the edge a while ago???? and this reduced the tunnel width to strictly 6'10" ?

I still get tempted to get a second "Northern" Boat but find maintaining one is enough work.

I get the impression that CRT are very slowly sorting the HNC so water might get better in the future.

.................Dave

10 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

Boating is funny. My two least favourite canals that I will probably never bother with again are the Ashby and the Llangollen, both massively overrated. It takes all kinds innitt.

For me it's the Caldon canal I don't like.

• Greenie 1

17 hours ago, dmr said:

Are you sure?  I have read somewhere that one or two are strictly 70foot.  We still dream of doing the HNC but we are a fraction over 6'11" at the back which I think  means we can't.

Anyway we also have no enthusiasm for cruising this year, whats the point in going cruising if the pubs are shut? Going to find a quiet place to hide for the rest of the year and continue with the lock down maintenance frenzy.

...............Dave

Locks 1E,and 9E have rather tight entrances (HNC) when you are in they are a bit wider.I am a bit reluctant to plan longish trips for fear of having to leave my little boat in some godforsaken place because of stoppages.

The closed pubs are a bit of a bummer too.It was very pleasant to have a couple of days on the boat to visit nearby pubs.

The Red Rooster,the Colliers Arms,the Barge and Barrel on the Calder and Hebble,the Pear Tree at Mirfield,and the Bridge on the HNC.

The pity is,pubs will be closed (some perhaps permanently) for some considerable time as social distancing is impossible in a pub.

I am like the OP getting a bit jaded with boating,and wonder if it is time to sell up and buy a Harley.

I would probably get more use from it!

4 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

. . .  and your favourite is . . . ?

At the moment the Maccy

:)

16 hours ago, Goliath said:

When I came down off the HNC (west side) the other week I thought of you. The canal is so shallow in places I don’t think your deep drafted boat would make it. Yet more gravel has washed from the towpath in to the water, particularly by bridge holes and lock landings making it really difficult to get to the bank. 
A real shame, it’s a favourite canal of mine but I think it’ll be awhile before I make a trek up there again. 

Hi Glenn,

Where are you at the moment?

3 hours ago, Mad Harold said:

Locks 1E,and 9E have rather tight entrances (HNC) when you are in they are a bit wider.I am a bit reluctant to plan longish trips for fear of having to leave my little boat in some godforsaken place because of stoppages.

The closed pubs are a bit of a bummer too.It was very pleasant to have a couple of days on the boat to visit nearby pubs.

The Red Rooster,the Colliers Arms,the Barge and Barrel on the Calder and Hebble,the Pear Tree at Mirfield,and the Bridge on the HNC.

The pity is,pubs will be closed (some perhaps permanently) for some considerable time as social distancing is impossible in a pub.

I am like the OP getting a bit jaded with boating,and wonder if it is time to sell up and buy a Harley.

I would probably get more use from it!

As we are 71 foot the C&H is out of bounds so the pubs could only be visited if they are within easy walking distance of the train.  From what I have read and heard the Red Rooster is by far the best but has sadly gone.

These are difficult times and a big threat to the waterways, if too many boaters give up then that's more boats available for the "cheap housing" people and more reason for CRT to focus on cycling. I am currently right outside the Golden Lion in Todmorden, its converted itself into a rather eccentric shop so at least you can still go in, and even buy a bottle of beer to take outside onto the wharf.

.................Dave

19 minutes ago, dmr said:

As we are 71 foot the C&H is out of bounds so the pubs could only be visited if they are within easy walking distance of the train.  From what I have read and heard the Red Rooster is by far the best but has sadly gone.

These are difficult times and a big threat to the waterways, if too many boaters give up then that's more boats available for the "cheap housing" people and more reason for CRT to focus on cycling. I am currently right outside the Golden Lion in Todmorden, its converted itself into a rather eccentric shop so at least you can still go in, and even buy a bottle of beer to take outside onto the wharf.

.................Dave

Apparently the guy from the red rooster as taken on the barge pub in brighouse. Some work going on to open up when allowed. ?

• Happy 1

I think when it comes to favourite canals its often down to who you've met on your travels and that is why the rochdale is probably my favourite.  The most overated in my opinion are the Asby, the caldon and the llangollen... nothing wrong with them just didn't quite live up to what i expected. I used to own a travel business and i used to worry about clients fullfilling life long dreams...they very rarely  lived up to what they imagined

• Greenie 1

35 minutes ago, dmr said:

So why do you spend so much time in the North? ?

there’s parts of the North I’ve still to visit. 
My aim was to get to York this year and on to Ripon. 
But it’s becoming very tricky to get anywhere owing to water issues 

And the Figure of 3 locks are out too. 

but the beers cheaper up north

and the scenery is stunning

and people are very friendly
and it’s very North of the South

and .... I might stay ?

I always promote the BCN whenever opportunity arises. I meet too many people who’d rather skirt around the BCN
If anyone has any interest in canals and the history of canals then the BCN is the  starting point.
And it’s got plenty of pretty scenery. 

And the BCN is a hundred miles worth of canals 

Edited by Goliath