Useless CRT staff

Featured Posts

2 hours ago, Machpoint005 said:

I thought ALL airlines used that term?

Yep. SLF (Self loading freight)

I worked in aviation for 50 years and much preferred my 20+ years with cargo aircraft when I didn't have to deal with passengers.

15 minutes ago, dixi188 said:

I worked in aviation for 50 years and much preferred my 20+ years with cargo aircraft when I didn't have to deal with passengers.

Inflammable Material? On a plane?

3 hours ago, haggis said:

We will be going through Poolstock locks some time next week and I seem to remember that they are only open for certain hours. is this still the case and does anyone know what the open hours are? 

Haggis

8am till 4pm.

This also applies to the other locks below Wigan as far as Crooke.

58 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

8am till 4pm.

This also applies to the other locks below Wigan as far as Crooke.

Thank you. That is helpful. We are booked to visit Liverpool.

Haggis 

Last year I was going down the staircase locks at Stourport basin out onto the River Severn. I was a bit nervous having never been on the Severn before and was worried about the boat being sucked out of the lock onto the river before I'd had chance to climb down the ladder and get on board. As i was pondering the issue, a really nice chap who was a volo (not at Stourport) was walking past and asked if I'd like some help. He helped me down the locks even though it started to rain and he didn't have a coat. He ended up getting soaked and being late to meet his wife,  what a top bloke, I couldn't thank him enough. 

Edited by jeddlad
Spelling
  • Greenie 3

3 hours ago, Rickent said:

Someone knows his Stiff Little Fingers.?

Ah! Now I understand, had me foxed for a while.

Inflammable Material? On a plane?

Yes lots. up to 62.900 ltrs of jet fuel on the last aircraft I was Flight Engineer on.

We used to carry a lot of "Dangerous Goods" that was prohibited on passenger aircraft. Radio Active isotopes for X-ray machines and cancer treatment was one of the most common items.  Max 200 Rems. (load it down the back).

On 02/07/2020 at 14:29, dixi188 said:

Myself also 50 years as a engineer, on cargo no fishing out of the loo the following items iv'e had to get out:

1. trousers!

2. wine glass (broken) from J class

3. Beer tin Y class

4. Dentures

5. Bracelet

6. Pampers

The only issue I had with cargo flights was carrying armoured cars/4x4's they smashed up the floor rollers and the ball matts with the weight a Merc car topped the scales at 4 tons for a African president.

Happy days lol my years at laker airways were the best fun.

On 17/06/2020 at 16:49, doratheexplorer said:

Not even slightly surprising.  I remember the lockie at Torksey turning the lock against me 3 times in succession while I was waiting to go up.  He knew I was down there waiting to go up (I'd spoken with him the previous afternoon).  In the end I borrowed a VHF radio off another boat moored there to ask why he wasn't letting me up.  He had no explanation and behaved like he was doing me a favour by allowing me to come through.  Arse.

Have to say I find this completely believable  I have had in the past problems at Torksey, my mates Richard and Simon had the lock gates closed on them at Keadby and had to spend hours hung on outside. The lock keepers explanation that we would not both fit in was laughable as we had both locked out together the week before! Some keepers are brilliant some leave a lot to be desired

2 hours ago, peterboat said:

Have to say I find this completely believable  I have had in the past problems at Torksey, my mates Richard and Simon had the lock gates closed on them at Keadby and had to spend hours hung on outside. The lock keepers explanation that we would not both fit in was laughable as we had both locked out together the week before! Some keepers are brilliant some leave a lot to be desired

I take it a report was made to the Trust?

That is just pure childish in the extreme.

4 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

I take it a report was made to the Trust?

That is just pure childish in the extreme.

Yes it was and it was followed up by the trust, the keeper doesn't work at Keadby anymore 

• Greenie 2