Useless CRT staff

Featured Posts

21 hours ago, Pennine said:

Have you got the lock numbers the wrong way round? Lock 1 is the top lock with the long pound below it, lock12 is bottom lock. I was 7th in line going down, and as far as I know, everyone going both ways managed to get through succesfully. Although last passage was 1.00pm, there was no-one at lock 12 stopping boats going up.

You certainly would not want multiple boats in the shorter pounds. IIRC, the pound above the bottom lock is the one crossed by a former railway bridge and has a very shallow offside area as it is on a bend. All too easy to ground boats that are hovering.

I've had similar disagreements with volockies at Atherstone, when descending, I refused to leave lock 3 until the boat in lock 4 was up and ready to change over. Filling a small pound is lunacy. I have adopted the same stance on the Stratford when 2 boats coming up were beached, and descending, I refused to come out of the lock until I could pass the rising boat and get in the lock.  Some people are unable/incapable  to think further than their front button.

2 minutes ago, The Welsh Cruiser said:

I don't know about Ryanair but he does smack of someone who's been employed by a public body for many years, and has learned to hate those who pay his wages.

A few years ago there was a story of a leaked e-mail, or memo, or something, in which a senior Ryanbod referred to their customers as "The enemy". I don't know if that's actually true, but it is noticeable that over the last two years Ryanair has made a conscious effort to become furrier. This chap must have left before then!

• 2 weeks later...
On 19/06/2020 at 10:40, Athy said:

A few years ago there was a story of a leaked e-mail, or memo, or something, in which a senior Ryanbod referred to their customers as "The enemy". I don't know if that's actually true, but it is noticeable that over the last two years Ryanair has made a conscious effort to become furrier. This chap must have left before then!

My understanding is that Ryanair refer to its customers as 'self-loading cargo'...

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, WotEver said:

My understanding is that Ryanair refer to its customers as 'self-loading cargo'...

One of the plus points of the whole conference industry stopping dead this year is that I haven’t been subjected to a Ryanair flight.....small mercies and all that....

On 18/06/2020 at 13:23, ditchcrawler said:

The ones on the L&L at Wigan are the best bunch I have come across working ahead and taking care

I wholeheartedly agree. I wrote to CRTSaying that one volly in particular was brilliant. I got a reply, a nice reply saying Im not the first to it.

On 18/06/2020 at 13:23, ditchcrawler said:

The ones on the L&L at Wigan are the best bunch I have come across working ahead and taking care

That's because there are quite a few keen boaters on the volunteer team at Wigan, and they have helped train the rest how to do it safely and well.

6 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

I wholeheartedly agree. I wrote to CRTSaying that one volly in particular was brilliant. I got a reply, a nice reply saying Im not the first to it.

Peter?  He's one of the above ... can't half talk though. :D

1 hour ago, Nightwatch said:

Yes Peter. Interesting chap though. He went outof his way when i dropped my one and only handcuff key in the cut at one of the two locks at the end of the

... Leigh Branch of the L&L. (The Bridgewater finishes at Leigh Bridge.  I'm sure you are thinking of Poolstock Locks)

Yeah, he would.  Nice bloke and a good friend.  He banged on the side of the boat this morning to say hello as it happens.

Edited by TheBiscuits
spellink

2 hours ago, Nightwatch said:

We had two help us down the Hatton flight on Monday morning and they were excellent,  one worked the paddles and gates with my other half while his colleague walked down to the next lock and set it ready with the gate open, we got through in under two and a half hours, I was impressed.

51 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

... Leigh Branch of the L&L. (The Bridgewater finishes at Leigh Bridge.  I'm sure you are thinking of Poolstock Locks)

Yeah, he would.  Nice bloke and a good friend.  He banged on the side of the boat this morning to say hello as it happens.

I understand the CRT chap has gone from the flight, is that right

1 hour ago, TheBiscuits said:

Yes Poolstock Locks.

6 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

I understand the CRT chap has gone from the flight, is that right

Which one?  Peter's mate Joe was seasonal staff but none of them were taken on again before the lockdown.

Big Paul is still there - he unlocked the flight for us when we used the "window" to escape down Wigan last month.

Are you thinking of Sid on Stanley Locks and the Liverpool Link?  He got moved on to other duties last year sometime.

12 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

Which one?  Peter's mate Joe was seasonal staff but none of them were taken on again before the lockdown.

Big Paul is still there - he unlocked the flight for us when we used the "window" to escape down Wigan last month.

Are you thinking of Sid on Stanley Locks and the Liverpool Link?  He got moved on to other duties last year sometime.

I can't remember his name but he did introduce himself to me, Ex boater, but went ashore because of his wife's health if I remember correctly, full of apologies for not helping us up the flight but he had to go to a CRT meeting, I think it was the rebranding last time round. Seemed a right nice guy.

We will be going through Poolstock locks some time next week and I seem to remember that they are only open for certain hours. is this still the case and does anyone know what the open hours are? 

Haggis

13 hours ago, Rickent said:

We had two help us down the Hatton flight on Monday morning and they were excellent,  one worked the paddles and gates with my other half while his colleague walked down to the next lock and set it ready with the gate open, we got through in under two and a half hours, I was impressed.

.....you stopped for lunch then

?

5 minutes ago, haggis said:

We will be going through Poolstock locks some time next week and I seem to remember that they are only open for certain hours. is this still the case and does anyone know what the open hours are? 

Haggis

Open at 8.00am and closed at 4.00pm