Buying a narrow boat

Steve Lee

Featured Posts

Every brokerage or boatyard. You will here horror stories on here about certain brokerages which have to be dismissed even if they are true. Facts are that ALL brokerages get some good boats. Some brokerages also have some bloody crap boats but if you discount any specific brokerage you may well miss a damn good boat. Also look on Apollo Duck. Remember a broker acts much like an estate agent in that thye dont own the boat they are just admin staff and advertising sharks. Some good, some bad. Some brokerages also own some of the boats and thats a whole different kettle of fish.

12 minutes ago, Steve Lee said:

Which boat yards/brokers would people recommend for buying a used narrow boat? Between 30k and 50k, I live in the Sheffield area, anywhere within 100miles radius. Thank you. Steve 

I can understand why you would want to limit the radius BUT its a very long term purchase and a lot of money - most yards will collect you from stations even now - better to travel for another hour to find the right boat - IMHO Rugby Boat Sales are the best in the business by a country mile - also a trip to the "golden triangle" (Calcutt/Braunston/ABNB/Rugby/Whilton/Tollhouse) will pay dividends.

Boat delivery by water or overland is much more common in these times and pretty competitive - use Shiply.

Edited by Halsey
  • Greenie 2

1 hour ago, Steve Lee said:

Which boat yards/brokers would people recommend for buying a used narrow boat? Between 30k and 50k, I live in the Sheffield area, anywhere within 100miles radius. Thank you. Steve 

What are your requirements Steve - just being nosey!

Sign up to all the brokers mailing lists so you get to see straight away when a new boat is listed. Even if it seems out of your range you might decide its worth the effort to go and view one that catches your eye. 

I bought mine from Rugby Boats after receiving an email from them about a new listing. Arranged a viewing for 9am the next day. A 3 hour train journey there, put in an offer, 3 hour journey back, home in time for tea and off to do a night shift. 

24 minutes ago, robtheplod said:

What are your requirements Steve - just being nosey!

Cruiser max 55', preferably reverse layout, s/s water tank,quality Wood burner,min 3 leisure batteries,cassette toilet, cratch cover,pram hood,solar panels,galvanic isolator. Been blacked,everything serviced and a survey in the last month. Not too fussy then!

But I live in the real world and it would be nice to get some of these. 

• Greenie 1

3 minutes ago, Steve Lee said:

Cruiser max 55', preferably reverse layout, s/s water tank,quality Wood burner,min 3 leisure batteries,cassette toilet, cratch cover,pram hood,solar panels,galvanic isolator. Been blacked,everything serviced and a survey in the last month. Not too fussy then!

arrange your own survey - one that a broker shows you is not worth the paper its writ on. It means spending around a grand for any boat you are seriously thinking about, but unless you have the experience and knowledge to check it yourself, well worth the money.

• Greenie 2

2 hours ago, Steve Lee said:

Which boat yards/brokers would people recommend for buying a used narrow boat?

The one that's selling the boat that leaps out at you.

12 minutes ago, Steve Lee said:

Cruiser max 55', preferably reverse layout, s/s water tank,quality Wood burner,min 3 leisure batteries,cassette toilet, cratch cover,pram hood,solar panels,galvanic isolator. Been blacked,everything serviced and a survey in the last month.

And then you'll spot a boat that just has some undefinable 'something' that jumps out at you, even though it hasn't got half the things you thought you really wanted.

• Greenie 3

So basically you are looking for the same boat as 90% of the buyers out there!

You will need to travel and be on your game - ready to go with funds in place and able to respond at a moment's notice.

Typically good ones fitting that bill sell the same day they are listed - get yourself on emailing lists and be prepared to prove to the broker that you factually have the funds in place - not " my Mums going to lend me the money"

Bear in mind this will generally be the most stressful time of your new "journey" try to enjoy it.

my boat ticks nearly every requirement.  It's not for sale though! :D

• Greenie 1

15 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

In Morocco I was offered 10 camels for SWMBO, I said I couldn't accept anything less than 12, he came up to 11 but at that stage the negotiations broke down.

I wouldn’t have accepted an odd number either. Was swmbo aware of the negotiations?

On 17/06/2020 at 10:02, Steve Lee said:

Cruiser max 55', preferably reverse layout, s/s water tank,quality Wood burner,min 3 leisure batteries,cassette toilet, cratch cover,pram hood,solar panels,galvanic isolator. Been blacked,everything serviced and a survey in the last month.

That's what we thought when we looked for our first nb. Saw our perfect match and offered straight away. A 63', normal layout (hence using the cratch as a conservatory) and a pump out. You will have a better chance of your perfect match is you are flexible.