Widebeam in the North

Dean71

Featured Posts

24 minutes ago, Duck-n-Dive said:

David Lowe has a few of these he might be selling if you fancy a project...

IMAG1229.jpg

I like hopper barges etc, so that's a sad sight.  Those particular ones are BACAT barges.

What river is that please?

1 hour ago, NB Esk said:

I like hopper barges etc, so that's a sad sight.  Those particular ones are BACAT barges.

Trent - I've seen them in the weir stream next to Newark Nether lock, but I think they are/have also been moored at Hazleford

3 hours ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Elf and safety alert!!!

Wot no life jackets - not even on the little ones?

2 hours ago, David Mack said:

Does that workboat have MCA approval to carry more than 12 passengers?

(Not sure whether in that arrangement the 12 passenger limit applies to each boat individually or to the combination).

1 hour ago, rustynewbery said:

I was only thinking that, it's 12 max without MCA - Mr Smelly will know innit

I would like to point out I took that photo, so it's not me steering with loose kids with no lifejackets.  The pictures MrsBiscuit took on the trip I took out don't let you see the boats, just my backside ...

The workboat has only got 12 passengers onboard, the ones wearing automatic lifejackets and ANT shirts are crew shepherding the public.

The workboat had an exploding Lister issue that morning while out on a trip, hence the tug.

I asked them if they needed @RLWP's number and they admitted they have him on speed dial as it isn't the first one that they have blown up.

2 hours ago, rustynewbery said:

I was only thinking that, it's 12 max without MCA - Mr Smelly will know innit

Indeed but nowt to do wiv me guv. There are many regs now. For instance at present I have two mca licences, my third is expired. I have one for twin screws and passenger capacity of 250. The area you can use the particular boat is also noted in the licence such as for one of mine river Trent Nottingham to Goole humber. My old narrowboat one now expired was for max 48 passengers. So for instance if you have tier 2 Thames licence you would have to do a familiarisation test to prove boat knowledge and river knowledge should you want to work Nottingham. Entering and using Trent locks would be tested and passing under Trent bridge which can be fun with a big flow on and with air draught. 

2 hours ago, NB Esk said:

It is on the Trent at Newark, by lock 14.  They are a lot better now than they have been

IMAG1217.jpg

Is suppose that is just a Before-After shot in reverse ☺️

Edited by Duck-n-Dive
  • Greenie 2

3 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

I see you've been practicing with mooring lines as well as a paintbrush! :D

She's looking very smart.

Some people's memories are far too good.  I'll be practicing my joinery skills too, that wheelbox top will be getting replaced by something wooden and original looking.

Thanks, she was starting to look very shabby, quite an effort but worth it.

4 hours ago, NB Esk said:

We used to have some of those in Rotherham at eastwood dont know what happened to them

22 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

I'd say that's about perfect for the Northern canal network if you want a widebeam.

Maybe a couple of feet shorter if you don't like getting wet descending leaky locks 

I might come oop North one day. I think I can cross the wash and up the R Witham to the Trent. I could do it as soon as I want as my job is field based and I work from home most of the time. Just need to find a nice mooring. If anyone knows of any send me a pm please.

• Greenie 1

7 minutes ago, blackrose said:

I might come oop North one day. I think I can cross the wash and up the R Witham to the Trent. I could do it as soon as I want as my job is field based and I work from home most of the time. Just need to find a nice mooring. If anyone knows of any send me a pm please.

Any preferences for location / facilities / transport / whatever?

1 hour ago, NB Esk said:

Some people's memories are far too good.  I'll be practicing my joinery skills too, that wheelbox top will be getting replaced by something wooden and original looking.

Thanks, she was starting to look very shabby, quite an effort but worth it.

My buddy has spent the lockdown doing much painting and tityvating to his old boat " Waylon " its looking very smart now.

1 hour ago, Scholar Gypsy said:

That's very neat. Are the black boards with hooks on for (reversible?) navigation lights ?

Yes, not reversible but they do swivel outward to bring the nav lights into view.  Here's a pic of the port light.

IMG_0804.JPG

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Just one example :

Some of these boat crusties like give the impression that they're a key part of waterways culture. They talk about their way of life and "the liveaboard community" like they're a representative sample. They don't represent me and I don't accept their premise that there's any prejudice. The waterways are overcrowded and we're all expected to comply with the same rules. Anyway, it's a very one-sided video. No interviews with the boaters who don't support them.

That pedal powered boat could never hope to comply with any continuous cruising rules. If she can't control her boat in a gentle breeze it sort of makes the point that the boat needs an engine, although nobody is going to bother wasting their money installing an engine on that boat. I certainly wouldn't fancy taking it onto a river! 

Edited by blackrose
  • Greenie 3

1 hour ago, blackrose said:

Some of these boat crusties like give the impression that they're a key part of waterways culture. They talk about their way of life and "the liveaboard community" like they're a representative sample. They don't represent me and I don't accept their premise that there's any prejudice. The waterways are overcrowded and we're all expected to comply with the same rules. Anyway, it's a very one-sided video. No interviews with the boaters who don't support them.

That pedal powered boat could never hope to comply with any continuous cruising rules. If she can't control her boat in a gentle breeze it sort of makes the point that the boat needs an engine, although nobody is going to bother wasting their money installing an engine on that boat. I certainly wouldn't fancy taking it onto a river! 

Its an old one, I watched it years ago. Complete nonsense as you say.

13 hours ago, blackrose said:

I've lived on a string of moorings that were largely 'crusties'. 

Most of them had no idea how to handle a boat (or moor a boat). We were forever fixing things for them and dealing with problems when the river flooded. Heck, I was having to help them out before I moved onto a boat.

Was very glad to move away to another mooring. 

8 hours ago, Alastair said:

I've lived on a string of moorings that were largely 'crusties'. 

Most of them had no idea how to handle a boat (or moor a boat). We were forever fixing things for them and dealing with problems when the river flooded. Heck, I was having to help them out before I moved onto a boat.

Was very glad to move away to another mooring. 

I have just clocked 72, does that make me a crusty

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1