Widebeam in the North

Dean71

Featured Posts

Hi Everyone,

We are in the process of selling up and finally going for our dream Widebeam. Couple of questions and advice please,

1. We are looking at a 70 by 12 Widebeam. We know there's restrictions on where you can go but is it really a big issue? It would be good to hear from anyone with a similar size boat and how you far you go.

2. Residential Moorings - how difficult are they to get? We've been told not to buy until we have one. We have young family in the East Midlands and so would want to be there for a few years. The plan is to move it south on the first blacking in a few years.

Many thanks,

Dean & Sue

14 minutes ago, Dean71 said:

Hi Everyone,

We are in the process of selling up and finally going for our dream Widebeam. Couple of questions and advice please,

1. We are looking at a 70 by 12 Widebeam. We know there's restrictions on where you can go but is it really a big issue? It would be good to hear from anyone with a similar size boat and how you far you go.

2. Residential Moorings - how difficult are they to get? We've been told not to buy until we have one. We have young family in the East Midlands and so would want to be there for a few years. The plan is to move it south on the first blacking in a few years.

Many thanks,

Dean & Sue

If you are looking to be based around Nottingham you will not be able to 'head inland' and further than (roughly) Burton on Trent. You could only head out thru Nottingham and onto the River Trent, down the Trent to Yorkshire, but then you'd start being restricted on some of the canals due to length,

You could not go from Nottingham South by water, you'd have to arrange to get it lifted out and onto a truck to get past the narrow sections that close off the North from the South.

With a 70 x 12 you can only use the 'blue' routes on the map.

Nottingham is just above the centre (where 2 blue lines cross)

Where there is a gap between the blue lines you cannot go with a boat that size.

CAM00436.jpg

CAM00437.jpg

Edited by Alan de Enfield

The main canals you can't do at that size are any of the narrow ones (obviously!), the Leeds and Liverpool (Wigan to Leeds), the Calder and Hebble, and the Huddersfield Broad.

You would technically be able to do the Rochdale, but you can't get there in a boat that size unless you crane it in somewhere.

This will force you to stay on the Eastern network, which might not be a problem for you but you need cranes and a lorry to do the only cross Pennine route you would fit on.

• Greenie 1

I agree. You won't have much fun on a 70 x 12ft boat unless you're on some of the bigger rivers. It's too big for the southern broadbeam canals.

My boat is 57 X 12ft and it's manageable because it's relatively short and turns very easily 

Edited by blackrose
  • Greenie 2

10 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Unfortunately that doesn't show the length restrictions, the Stanfords Crusing Map I photographed actually shows locks that are 70+ feet long x 14 feet wide.

Green waterways are with locks less than 70 feet, so whilst they will take the beam, they will not take both the beam and the length.

Various tables on the chart eg :

CAM00439.jpg

Edited by Alan de Enfield

Just now, blackrose said:

My boat is 57 X 12ft and it's manageable because it's relatively short.

I'd say that's about perfect for the Northern canal network if you want a widebeam.

Maybe a couple of feet shorter if you don't like getting wet descending leaky locks 

• Greenie 2

1 minute ago, blackrose said:

I agree. You won't have much fun on a 70 x 12ft boat unless you're on some of the bigger rivers. It's too big for the southern broadbeam canals.

My boat is 57 X 12ft and it's manageable because it's relatively short.

Yes very true, I wouodnt go bigger than yours. My widebeam was only fifty by ten six and was more than ample for the two of us. We looked at max 57 but the right boat came at the right price as a fifty footer. 70 by 12 is just asking for problems.

29 minutes ago, dmr said:

Too wide for the best narrow canals, too long for the best wide canals, otherwise a really good idea.

...............Dave

Same here 57 x 12 is biggest practical boat on the northern canals and if you want to go up the Lancaster then its 10 foot wide I am afraid 

At 60 X 10 you still won't do the Calder and Hebble, so can't do any of the Pennine rings.  The L&L will be your only through route, but you can go over the Rochdale, turn round and come back again.

57 X 10 would let you do the C&H.  The 57ft myth only applies to narrowboats I'm afraid!

• Greenie 1

Bring that down to just under 57 foot and you will have a viable Northern wide canal boat. Its possible 12 foot might be viable but others will have to confirm that as i'm a narrowboat person.

57 x 6'10" and you can go anywhere.

................Dave

3 minutes ago, dmr said:

And tow another one if you need the extra space?

It is possible to get a 60ft narrowboat through the C&H but it's very tight and you can't share with anything over 45ft in some of the locks.  Not recommended for novices.

One boat towing another boat? that's a daft idea, next you'll be suggesting pulling them along with horses.

...............Dave (on a liveaboard boat that is Moving again)

1 hour ago, dmr said:

Except Brandon Lock on the Little Ouse which is only about 40 ft long.

You can't pass through Teddington Skiff Lock either, but that doesn't really matter since there are two larger ones alongside.

55 minutes ago, dmr said:

One boat towing another boat? that's a daft idea

Since being blessed with BobBiscuit I have occasionally suggested a 34 ft motor and butty with a drawbar hitch to save setting cross straps and two side bars for breasting up.   It's one 70 ft rig in narrow locks and a short fatty in broad locks ...

I think it's genius, but MrsBiscuit doesn't.

Just now, TheBiscuits said:

Since being blessed with BobBiscuit I have occasionally suggested a 34 ft motor and butty with a drawbar hitch to save setting cross straps and two side bars for breasting up.   It's one 70 ft rig in narrow locks and a short fatty in broad locks ...

I think it's genius, but MrsBiscuit doesn't.

Or, a 'front trailer'

You can have another 12 foot, add a couple of bedrooms and you have a spare room when visitors come, when on your own just take the 'Mother Ship'

Victoria plum 2.jpg

Victoria Plum 3.jpg