Locksmith

Featured Posts

10 minutes ago, reg said:

Problem with that is that you cannot use that door for egress as the bolts cannot by put in place from the outside.

Eh?

You close the door that has the shoot bolts. 
You reach behind it and shoot upper and lower bolts. 
You slam the other door shut. 

... you remember that you’ve left the keys on the boat...

Along with a pair of shoot bolts for the slide, that’s exactly the system I installed on WotEver after levering off the flimsy hasp that was on it when we bought her. 

Obviously this system doesn’t work for those slides that lift over the doors and lip over them at the top. 

Well, it works fine for the doors but you still have to secure the slide. 

• Greenie 1

11 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Eh?

You close the door that has the shoot bolts. 
You reach behind it and shoot upper and lower bolts. 
You slam the other door shut. 

... you remember that you’ve left the keys on the boat...

Along with a pair of shoot bolts for the slide, that’s exactly the system I installed on WotEver after levering off the flimsy hasp that was on it when we bought her. 

Obviously this system doesn’t work for those slides that lift over the doors and lip over them at the top. 

Well, it works fine for the doors but you still have to secure the slide. 

Absolutely totaly agree which is why I already removing my answer as you were posting.

Forgot my mantra of think it through before posting not whilst posting. Although I believe this mantra is not acceptable on some social media platforms.

I still prefer my garage door type locks as they can be used in conjunction with a sliding hatch. Personal preference.

Edited by reg

• 1 month later...
On 24/06/2020 at 17:50, Jen-in-Wellies said:

No. They are a proper key with lots of permutations and reasonably hard to pick. Some neighbours use them for their boat. Not like the ones you illustrated for internal doors.

Jen

Agree with you, they are good locks, with individual keys for each lock.well designed, useful video on uTube to show how to fit them.

On 24/06/2020 at 14:45, Terryb said:

Iv'e just fitted an Enfield type garage door bolt to my hatch. I have to say, it's the doggies danglers. Especially since now, you cant tell if It is locked or unlocked.

103881191_1611178625724274_8445876879918760880_n.jpg

104289829_966552310469110_2011065115391833160_n.jpg

If you could get these with a knob turn on one side, (the internal side), I think they would be ideal.

I can only find them with a keyed lock on both sides :( 

19 hours ago, Richard10002 said:

If you could get these with a knob turn on one side, (the internal side), I think they would be ideal.

I can only find them with a keyed lock on both sides :( 

Yes, the same key can be used both sides, they are basically designed for garage doors.

23 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

I take it you can't have a key in both sides at the same time

Not so far as I am aware, I have used these on standard framed ledged and braced doors successfully and had no problems inserting the key either side, although if the timber door is too thick you have to modify the fitting of the lock a bit.

21 hours ago, Richard10002 said:

I wondered about welding, or glueing, a key on the inside, but my guess is that you are right.

The problem is the lock mechanism is contained in a metal box held in place by two bolts (see original pics), the individual key takes up most of the thickness on this box and it would be difficult to fix a turnscrew onto the internal face of the lock. It should be easy to keep a key inserted internally if and when needed, but it would have to be removed to lock the door externally. 

Edited by LEO
spilling

• 2 weeks later...

When  I am inside I use a curb chain [former horsey person] with a D shackle [former salty sailor], these are in addition to locks, but they make a good intruder alert, and safe easy to remove from inside.

I have an Abus with hatch and hasp on the stern, impregnable, the front doors are the weakness, an internal bolt plus a yale nightlatch, plus chain will make life difficult for the scrots.

• 1 year later...
15 minutes ago, Authority924 said:

Never spend too much time to figure out a problem with the lock, if I can fix it in the next 5-10 minutes, well that's great, if not, I am calling the east london locksmith

Would they come and fix the locks on the Leeds- Liverpool canal? C&RT would love to know.

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Authority924 said:

Never spend too much time to figure out a problem with the lock, if I can fix it in the next 5-10 minutes, well that's great, if not, I am calling the east london locksmith

8 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Would they come and fix the locks on the Leeds- Liverpool canal? C&RT would love to know.

Why not? I think they can, as far as I know they are Locksmith on call and they are available to come at your place

Edited by Authority924
  • Haha 1
  • Horror 1

• 2 months later...

Not to necro this thread but anyone who has watched Lockpicking Lawyer on that YouTube will understand that nothing is even remotely secure.  All you can do is deter because if someone really wants to get into your boat, they will.  We should probably all concentrate more on the pithy insulting note we will leave for the burglars.

1 hour ago, The Gravy Boater said:

Not to necro this thread but anyone who has watched Lockpicking Lawyer on that YouTube will understand that nothing is even remotely secure.  All you can do is deter because if someone really wants to get into your boat, they will.  We should probably all concentrate more on the pithy insulting note we will leave for the burglars.

"Locksport" is a whole load more difficult than the LPL makes it look! I know having wasted several hundred hours learning how to pick even the most basic locks. A lot of it is luck. On a given lock I might crack it is 20 seconds. Then close it and spend several weeks trying to do it again. Or I might do it in an hour. Or 20 seconds again.

I doubt many boat burglars rely on lock picking skills, a cordless angle grinder is far quicker and certain.

• Greenie 1

On 27/07/2022 at 19:06, MtB said:

"Locksport" is a whole load more difficult than the LPL makes it look! I know having wasted several hundred hours learning how to pick even the most basic locks. A lot of it is luck. On a given lock I might crack it is 20 seconds. Then close it and spend several weeks trying to do it again. Or I might do it in an hour. Or 20 seconds again.

I doubt many boat burglars rely on lock picking skills, a cordless angle grinder is far quicker and certain.

We all need a hobby ;)