OT: anyone know what these are?

WotEver

Featured Posts

They’re lights of some kind.

At a guess I’d say they’re about 500mm diameter at the bottom. I can’t get at them at present to measure more accurately.

60B9C44D-39E2-4485-8A15-E47EFC6C1C0E.jpeg.3e172ebb43244e0a8d7df00d8ca1b0ab.jpeg56BE457E-9DBA-43D8-93CC-61A68BE8A978.jpeg.e694eb94a2c9623adcb8ef1e5bbb0201.jpegFirst image is a general one, second image is looking straight up into one.

Anyone recognise them?

1 minute ago, TheBiscuits said:

They look like brooders heat lamps for chickens/ ducks etc, but they would normally have an IR heat bulb in them.

Size overall and enormous heatsink vanes is what makes me think this.

Yep, I was also just about to say that they reminded me of those lamps to keep chicks warm but with the heat aspect missing.

Roger

11 minutes ago, Albion said:

Yep, I was also just about to say that they reminded me of those lamps to keep chicks warm but with the heat aspect missing.

Roger

We have a number of 'heat lamps' that we use on chicks and lambs etc, but I have never seen one with glass in it.

They are simply a reflective shade with an infra red bulb.

3 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

We have a number of 'heat lamps' that we use on chicks and lambs etc, but I have never seen one with glass in it.

I have never used/seen a brooder lamp with glass apart from the bulb.

5 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Yeah, that’s why I used the word ‘reminded’ as I am no expert on chick raising but have seen lamps similar to that shape used in that sort of application. 
Roger

19 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Yeah, I'd say it dates from the 50s or 60s.

There used to be a reason for not letting poultry peck at the bulb, maybe the bulbs were fragile.

Most of the new ones are a cone of galvanised steel with a tough bulb in them, but the ones pictured look like some my Uncle had on the farm when I was a kid.

1 minute ago, TheBiscuits said:

Yeah, I'd say it dates from the 50s or 60s.

There used to be a reason for not letting poultry peck at the bulb, maybe the bulbs were fragile.

Most of the new ones are a cone of galvanised steel with a tough bulb in them, but the ones pictured look like some my Uncle had on the farm when I was a kid.

Possibly, but the lights should be suspended high enough that they couldn't peck it - normally about 2 feet high is the 'right height' and the bulb produces a cone of warmth / light.

Too low and the heat burns them and you cannot get many chicks into the cone of warmth, too high and there is insufficient warmth. As the chicks get 'stronger' you raise the height to start to wean them off the heater.

You must have had very 'posh' lights (or used standard light shades with IR bulbs) - in the 60's (and still today) our lights didn't have any glass.

12 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

You must have had very 'posh' lights

Pinched from the church hall would be more likely than posh lights!  Farmers eh ... :D

It's possible they were repurposed from something else, I just remember them being like that.  The back of the lamp is huge though, so it must serve some other purpose than just a bulb holder.

I'm not sure your air freshener theory is quite right though.

Edited by TheBiscuits
spellink

1 hour ago, TheBiscuits said:

They look like brooders heat lamps for chickens/ ducks etc, but they would normally have an IR heat bulb in them.

Size overall and enormous heatsink vanes is what makes me think this.

I thought the same but they’re much too high - about 20ft in the air. 

36 minutes ago, andy3196 said:

it does, it looks identical. So maybe we’ve got the make if not the model and/or purpose. 

They’re disconnected but located in what used to be a cow shed. I asked the farmer if they were ‘cow warmers’ which got a laugh. He replied “No, they’re skip fillers unless they have value” 

Just now, WotEver said:

it does, it looks identical. So maybe we’ve got the make if not the model and/or purpose. 

They’re disconnected but located in what used to be a cow shed. I asked the farmer if they were ‘cow warmers’ which got a laugh. He replied “No, they’re skip fillers unless they have value” 

Drew will pay about £100 each - they are his speciality,

2 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Drew will pay about £100 each - they are his speciality,

I’ll let the farmer know... or I’ll remove them and sell them myself ;)

5 minutes ago, WotEver said:

The thing about lights suspended from chains is you can trivially adjust the height if there is enough cable. :)

I'm glad they are in a cowshed though, it proves I'm not totally insane with the agricultural link!

1 hour ago, Jerra said:

I have never used/seen a brooder lamp with glass apart from the bulb.

I think the holophane glass in the front probably acts as a fresnel lens.

I’ve just been given the authority to sell them so if Drew PMs me (what’s his username here?) we can sort summat out. 

Thanks all :)

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Rather than a 'heat sink' I think the ball on the top looks like one of those air freshener things that you put a smelly disc in, It may be a standard '70's light fitting but the heat from the light may be used to disperse the smell ?

That ball on the top is around a foot or more in diameter. I suspect it’s ballast for the lamp or something similar. 

Edited by WotEver

1 minute ago, WotEver said:

That ball on the top is around a foot or more in diameter. I suspect it’s ballast for the lamp or something similar. 

Yes I think it is, I was only joking about the air-freshener.

I believe they are part of the 'gallery' that attaches the light to the chain.

2 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Yeah, I was wondering if they were designed for mercury vapour lamps originally.

They are probably worth more cleaned up and rewired, probably with one of those fancy LED filament bulbs of an appropriate size.  Do you know anyone who likes faffing about with wires? ;)

7 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Do you know anyone who likes faffing about with wires? ;)

Funny you should mention that...

Sadly we’re shifting premises within the farm where we’re located so I’m somewhat busy at present. If Drew (or anyone else) wants them then all I need is an offer :)

31 minutes ago, Chewbacka said:

We used to have that style of lamp in a factory I worked at.  In their day they were considered very efficient with a reasonable colour output, from memory they were a mercury discharge lamp with a big ballast above.  All gone now and replaced. 

Cheers, I suspected that the top bit was a ballast for a discharge lamp. :)