Blacking removed for survey

Featured Posts

I have sold my boat subject to survey though one thing I am concerned about is that the boat yard will be pressure washing off all the existing blacking in preparation for the survey.

if the buyer changes their mind for any reason I will be left without any blacking and will have to foot the bill.

Is this normal? I was under the impression surveyors would normally scrape off in the areas they wish to check.

Thanks 

Rich

If your blacking comes off with pressure washing then it needed re-doing anyway.

Surely they are just cleaning the Hull, and the surveyor will scrape his (200 ?) test pieces off anyway.

Its a tricky subject and the process for 'Lumpy-water boat sales is well known but seems to be never discussed in the Inland waterways.

I'd be pretty miffed if I had recently had my boat blacked, a surveyor came and scraped off a couple of hundred patches and just left them, then the buyer changes his mind and pulls out of the purchase.

It is tricky, in that if the Surveyor dabs some bitumen on his 'scrapes' and then the boat is immediately dropped back in the water the bitumen will just 'float off'.

The 'coastal norm' being that if the buyer decides not to proceed he shall be responsible for the repair (restitution) of anything removed or damaged during his survey. Funds being taken from his deposit to cover the costs.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

Thanks, just phoned the brokerage who told me that a couple years ago a regulation changed whereby they’re now required to strip off all the blacking so a thorough inspection can be done. Is this the case? 

In all fairness she is due re-blacking later in the year though I wasn’t expecting to pay for it. 

Edited by RichM

3 minutes ago, RichM said:

Thanks, just phoned the brokerage who told me that a couple years ago a regulation changed whereby they’re now required to strip off all the blacking so a thorough inspection can be done. Is this the case? 

I've not bought or sold a boat in the last couple of years, but it doesn't quite 'ring true' to me.

If that was the case, why would surveyors be buying those horrendously expensive thickness meters that can 'see' thru coatings ?

Would the marina happen to have a time slot available where they could fix the boat in for blacking for the new owner ?

Edited by Alan de Enfield

11 minutes ago, RichM said:

Absolute Bollox!! Who is the brokerage?

Ask them to point you to the regulation....... It would have been all over here like a rash if it were true......

• Greenie 1

8 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Wrong posting

12 minutes ago, RichM said:

In all fairness she is due re-blacking later in the year though I wasn’t expecting to pay for it. 

Regulation????? Its up to you the buyer and the surveyor what happens to your boat

2 hours ago, RichM said:

1. Pressure washing should only remove weed and any loose material. It will never strip off the blacking if it has been applied and dried properly last time.

2. There is NO regulation at all, they have made this up and I would be very unhappy to have them continue work on it or sell it for me.

• Greenie 1

Thanks all. Having dug a little deeper following the advice given on here, I understand they did not strip off all the blacking. They did not exactly make this clear and the brokerage obviously conjured up some story but that's another matter. Sounds like they wanted me to commit to having her re-blacked, though I understand the buyer has had this done.

I understand the boat had a good hull survey with only a few pits to report that needed some attention, but nothing major. Will be handing over to the new buyer in the week. End of an era. Will miss boating but won't miss the maintenance that goes with it!

Edited by RichM

23 minutes ago, RichM said:

, I understand they did not strip off all the blacking. They did not exactly make this clear and the brokerage obviously conjured up some story but that's another matter. Sounds like they wanted me to commit to having her re-blacked

Unfortunately such 'goings on' are not uncommon in 'the industry'

On 15/06/2020 at 12:30, Alan de Enfield said:

Would the marina happen to have a time slot available where they could fix the boat in for blacking for the new owner ?