De rusting near batteries

Featured Posts

Currently in process of painting my boat and de rusting everything, have just got to the engine bay, have been using a wire wool  brush / flap disks for the rest of the boat to get rid of the worst bits of rust but this means there is some potential for sparks. 
I assume any sparks near the batteries is a bad idea so was planning on taking out the batteries. 
first does this whole process seem sensible? Secondly if we were to take out batteries, is it the same process as car batteries - taking off negative first? 
thanks. 

9BC4E0C9-1310-41F1-A741-03D6D35CFE02.jpeg

Edited by Kismet

There is only a risk with sparks near batteries if the batteries have been generating hydrogen as a result of charging and the hydrogen has not been able to disperse. 

I would be more concerned about flying metallic dust/swarf and I would cover them for the duration of the grinding, with any charging turned off.

Edited by system 4-50

4 minutes ago, system 4-50 said:

There is only a risk with sparks near batteries if the batteries have been generating hydrogen as a result of charging and the hydrogen has not been able to disperse. 

What 'e said ^^^^^.

12 minutes ago, Kismet said:

was planning on taking out the batteries. 
first does this whole process seem sensible? Secondly if we were to take out batteries, is it the same process as car barriers - taking off negative first? 

A good idea. Any acid spillage from the batts over the years will mean corrosion under them. Same process as a car. Disconnect negative first, so touching the positive terminal and hull side accidentally when removing the positive leads won't let current flow. I wrap the spanner in insulating tape away from the jaws so if I accidentally drop it there is no risk of it bridging the terminals. Worst case, shorting a battery with a spanner will first weld the spanner to the terminals, heat up the spanner so you can't touch it, then explode the battery! ??

Jen