I'm struggling to figure out how it took so long to get from Leeds to Castleford

Featured Posts

4 hours ago, NB Caelmiri said:

This map is pretty interesting. I can picture it exactly but didn't realise at some point where the mooring pontoons are now between the hotel and candle house (I think it's called? the round building) would have carried on to somewhere. I wonder where that somewhere lead to! Does anyone know? Between 38 and 44. I was also wondering about the offshoot next to 48. Is this map suggesting that it carried on somewhere else?

I keep looking at it when I'm in Leeds and assumed it might have been some kind of dry dock. It's an offshoot with a lock that goes nowhere. If the CRT had its wits about it, they could almost have it as a dry dock now but I suspect given its location and as Granary Wharf is a privately owned public space, there's no chance the owners would allow dirty boats to be painted and maintained there.

2 hours ago, The Happy Nomad said:

The offshot between 38 and 44 lead to a lock now disused. It allowed boats access to the Aire. The lock was allegedly still there under the railway last time we passed that way but no access by the public was allowed.

The arm between plots 38 and 44 on the map is the connection to the lock to the River Aire. If you look at the railway viaduct you can see that this section is built with rivetted iron beams over the old canal line (with mock brick arches built as part of the modern facing wall below), whereas the rest of the viaduct is proper brick arches. The old canal line below the railway is now used for parking for Candle House and the Hilton Hotel. There is nothing to stop you wandering in there (but you might get spotted on security cameras). 

On the OS map below you can just see where the other end of the link came out into the river. It is still visible from the path on the opposite side of the river.

The basin closest to River Lock is a dry dock. It has a bottom hinged gate which lies flat on the bed when open, which can occasionally be seen when the pound is dry. The dock just to the west of it may also be a dry dock, as it has gates - Pluto will know!

Capture.PNG.ed5cd44e2adfdd9dbfbed3f1c56f7b69.PNG

Edited by David Mack

View from Google Maps showing the railway bridge over the former canal link to the Aire, and the modern infill wall below it.

Capture.PNG.39c11dd177cf9ad35c04da09615c05a5.PNG

And the River end of the link, seen from the north bank of the river, Candle House and the Hilton Hotel visible in the background.

Capture.PNG.f4ee51a6de5c2cd489b89307bff663b3.PNG

51 minutes ago, David Mack said:

View from Google Maps showing the railway bridge over the former canal link to the Aire, and the modern infill wall below it.

Capture.PNG.39c11dd177cf9ad35c04da09615c05a5.PNG

And the River end of the link, seen from the north bank of the river, Candle House and the Hilton Hotel visible in the background.

Capture.PNG.f4ee51a6de5c2cd489b89307bff663b3.PNG

I've got some exploring to do when I'm back in Leeds. Thanks David! Put a few things into context there!