Birmingham mooring for 48+ hours (probably only 72 hours)?

manicpb

Featured Posts

I want to moor in Birmingham for 3 nights in order to have my lad overnight and get him back (via trains and buses), but most city centre visitor moorings are 48 hour. I have no argument with the restrictions, it stops hogging of prime moorings, but in this circumstance I'm just after the extra 24 hours...

...any suggestions?

There’s one 14 day mooring at Sheepcote Street visitor mooring. It’s on the Symphony Court side at the Old Turn Junction end pretty much under the foot bridge. It’s usually taken by folk who know it’s there but things may not be so busy at the moment.

Personally if I were in your shoes I’d moor for 48 hours and then decide whether to move or stay depending on how busy it was. No point moving if no one requires the spot you’re occupying. It’s perfectly safe to moor beyond St Vincent Street bridge or past Holliday Street wharf on the W&B if the 48 hour moorings are full though.

JP

Correction - it seems to be 14 days on both sides. Never actually stayed for more than one night myself anyway.

Edited by Captain Pegg
  • Greenie 1

On the main line opposite  the roundhouse, and each end on the side opposite the Areana are 14 day (or is it 7, but more than 2 day at least). By salvage turn each side of the services is also 14 day but it’s a bit of a wind tunnel there.

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, Detling said:

Cambrian wharf very convenient for brum centre, two fingers are visitor and need BW key to access, not well marked though.

I’ve always felt comfortable at Cambrian Wharf. 
Gets the sun all day, and it’s less windy than other places. 
Will be quite there with the Flapper closed. Too quite. There’d always be someone drinking on the balcony watching what’s going on. 
I’ve tied to the railings under the balcony when the pontoons have been full. 
You have a shower, toilet, Elsan and bins close by too. 

• Greenie 1

Everything on the mainline west of Sheepcote Street (e.g. by the Roundhouse) is 14 day, including the recently added moorings rings beyond St Vincent Street.  Cambrian Wharf is 14 day in the 'basin' itself but not the online moorings by the sani station.  Holliday Wharf and south of Granville Street are also 14 day. If showers/toilets/water etc is a priority, the services at Holliday Wharf are a lot nicer than by Cambrian Wharf.

Having said all of that, Brum is pretty quiet for moored boats right now so I can't see anyone at CRT getting their knickers in a twist wherever you moor.  There's a boat on the 14 day moorings by the Roundhouse which hasn't moved in about a year now, so at 24 hour overstay is unlikely to even register...

• Greenie 1

Thanks all for the responses.

I've currently only moored in fairly rural areas and very few visitor moorings, so have no experience of mooring restrictions. By the sounds of it you can stretch the rules if it's not busy and taking the Mickey.

Once again thanks!