Anyone know what this is? Electrolux

Featured Posts

Currently sanding down my boat to paint, there’s this metal plaque on the side of the boat, ‘Electrolux refrigerator’ two of the screws are rusted and heads have fallen off so would need to drill out to see what’s behind it.
Before doing this does anyone know what it is? Just a plaque or something more important. On the inside of the boat it is where the oven is placed... 

23939D1C-23D6-4551-8FC4-295EC76CF5A5.jpeg

Not to be left out, its the exhaust for an Electrolux gas fridge.

It is not watertight. If it is below 10" from the water line and you no longer have a gas fridge connected to it, I would advise getting it sealed off next time you black.

I have the same but an aluminium one, I have kept it as it helps ventilate the present electric fridge a bit.

TD'

7 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

I wonder where the magic 10" comes from, not 12 " or 8"?

It’s a nice, neat 250mm :P

Edited by WotEver
Got me mm mixed up...

11 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

It from the BSS rules.

Not for a private boat, don't get that one going again along with ventilation. As for the measurement I wonder if there is actually any science behind it, or that just looks like a nice number.

17 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Not for a private boat, don't get that one going again along with ventilation. As for the measurement I wonder if there is actually any science behind it, or that just looks like a nice number.

I didn't say it was for a private boat, I simply said that its source was the BSS.

It is an 'advisory' for private boats.

To reduce the risk of your boat sinking if it keels over or is excessively weighed down, it's a good idea for privately owned boats to only have openings which are at a height of at least 250mm (10ins) above the waterline. Where openings are necessary below this level this risk can be reduced by ensuring that these openings are permanently and securely connected to ducts or pipes, which are watertight up to that level.

Self-draining cockpits may not be able to meet the 250mm (10ins) recommendation but, for privately owned boats, it's a good idea to stop water getting into other parts of the hull by incorporating non-return valves in the drains and/or having bulkheads or cills up to a height of 150mm (6ins).

A weed hatch, if not properly secured, can allow water into the bilges of a boat, which could ultimately cause it to sink. It's advisable for privately owned boats to have a secure and watertight weed hatch which reaches to at least 150mm (6ins) above the waterline, when the boat is loaded up as normal. [10.3]

10b.gif

When the BSS was introduced, anyone with a gas fridge,which most of us had, had to chop a hole in the boat and install these. The cover stuck out and meant you got stuck in narrow locks. Mine got knocked off after about two days and the BSS was amended shortly after so we didn't need them any more, we just had an unnecessary hole in the boat.  A typically stupid bit off BSSdom, to be followed by many,many more.

A shame gas fridges are no longer the 'norm' on boats, or rather 3 way gas/mains/240 V - more flexibility.

Am I correct in remembering they didn't always used to be vented outside???  The internal volume of the boat being deemed adequate to dissipate the venting gases (Inc. CO)

1 hour ago, The Happy Nomad said:

A shame gas fridges are no longer the 'norm' on boats, or rather 3 way gas/mains/240 V - more flexibility.

Am I correct in remembering they didn't always used to be vented outside???  The internal volume of the boat being deemed adequate to dissipate the venting gases (Inc. CO)

Not sure about not needing external venting. The one on our first shareboat (built in 1992 and probably the last generation of boats fitted with a gas fridge) had a balanced flue exiting through the roof.

I have the small Electrolux 122, gas-12v fridge, Still working well. Bought it s/h about 20 years ago. Its old operation leaflet said, no need for it to exhaust to the outside, although it doesn't mention boats and might have been refering to caravans of the time.