Much needed kick up the *rse needed?

NB DW

Featured Posts

16 minutes ago, pete.i said:

Every single person on this forum will inevitably say "go for it" or words to that effect, except me. I have had three boats so far. None have been liveaboard. I wouldn't give up my bricks and mortar for all the money in the world. It has been "nice" owning my boats and it has been fun to get away occasionally to pootle up and down the canal. That soon gets mind numbingly boring eventually. Okay I will admit that my plan to "sail the system" never came to fruition mainly because of speed. It would take me 3 hours to get to the end of the canal and three hours to get back a journey I could do in a car in 15 minutes. My second boat was motor cruiser on a trailer that I intended to trailer to the places I wanted to be and launch, pootle and put it back on the trailer. Yeah right that went well . My life is way too short to waste it taking all that time to look at a few ducks and the same ole same ole water. I did find my satisfaction in making the boat be something that I liked rather than what it was when I bought it and that has been my theme with all my boats. Having said that I can do more or less the same thing with a vehicle or even the bits of a vehicle without having to worry about holes under the water that I cannot see and that might bite me in the backside at any time.

As I say I would NEVER consider living on a boat. Over the 12 or so years that I have had boats I have seen the system decline. I have seen AND experienced the wrath of the likes of fishermen, walkers one of who even took a pot shot at me with an air gun, and a few other things that have finally made me say that once my present boat is gone, and I only part own this one, I don't want to EVER own another boat.

You mention the convenience of be able to go to your house to do your laundry etc. There is a lot to be said for that. There is a lot to be said to have, almost, trouble free gas and electricity without having to think about where the next volt or the next joule of warmth and warm water is going to come from. There is a lot to be said about not having to make up the stove when it goes out on a very cold and snowy morning. There is a lot to be said about not having think about where I am going to dispose of my next crap. There is a lot to be said about getting into a nice hot shower, in my case, or a nice hot bath without having to worry whether there will be enough water left to have a cup of tea.

There are an awful of "there is a lot to be said of" when owning a boat. I'm not saying don't do it BUT life living aboard is not easy and much more to the point there is nobody on this forum, ESPECIALLY, who will admit that life on board can be b***dy hard. There are a lot who do live aboard though but think long and hard as to whether you want the ongoing expenses of keeping a boat on the water and the extreme hardships that you will, inevitably, have to endure at some point. IT AINT ALL ROSES in spite of what this lot will tell you.

I largely agree with your "reality injection" and your post sums up my feelings about boating.

Much as I enjoy pootling along the cut and "fettlin" my boat,I don't want to leave bricks and mortar.

However,we are all different and I know people at my mooring who livaboard and are as happy as pigs in ----.

Vive la Difference,

34 minutes ago, pete.i said:

There are an awful of "there is a lot to be said of" when owning a boat. I'm not saying don't do it BUT life living aboard is not easy and much more to the point there is nobody on this forum, ESPECIALLY, who will admit that life on board can be b***dy hard. There are a lot who do live aboard though but think long and hard as to whether you want the ongoing expenses of keeping a boat on the water and the extreme hardships that you will, inevitably, have to endure at some point. IT AINT ALL ROSES in spite of what this lot will tell you.

A lot of truths in that post, the 'problem' is that very, very few people will take advice, or listen to the experience of others and the only experience that matters is theirs, and, until they have that experience they will want to 'find it out'.

I've advised, even 'told', my boys not to do something and explained why, but does it make any difference ? NO. until they experience it themselves it 'doesn't exist', or 'never happens'.

The time to take risks is when you are young and have time to recover from the problem, both financially and physically.

Waiting until you retire gives you no chance or 'recovery' when it goes all pear-shaped.

My Sister in Law & Husband retired, sold up in the UK and went to Bulgaria, as houses and cost of living was cheap. Now as real old age and having spent much of their capital  catches up with them they are looking at returning - but whilst house prices in Bulgaria have remained low, in the UK in the last 15 years house prices have increased tremedously (the average house price has increased by over £100,000).

They can no longer afford to return and are literally stuck there.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

13 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

A lot of truths in that post, the 'problem' is that very, very few people will take advice, or listen to the experience of others and the only experience that matters is theirs, and, until they have that experience they will want to 'find it out'.

I've advised, even 'told', my boys not to do something and explained why, but does it make any difference ? NO. until they experience it themselves it 'doesn't exist', or 'never happens'.

The time to take risks is when you are young and have time to recover from the problem, both financially and physically.

Waiting until you retire gives you no chance or 'recovery' when it goes all pear-shaped.

My Sister in Law & Husband retired, sold up in the UK and went to Bulgaria, as houses and cost of living was cheap. Now as real old age and having spent much of their capital  catches up with them they are looking at returning - but whilst house prices in Bulgaria have remained low, in the UK in the last 15 years house prices have increased tremedously (the average house price has increased by over £100,000).

They could buy a boat.???

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

My brother did similar in 2008, got a large redundancy package and went over there buying 5 properties as he thought they might be joining the EU soon.

Still got the properties, half the village population has either died or up sticks and left Bulgaria so property now worth less.

He does some work for Brits over there, as locals are so unreliable...but hes not getting any younger...

1 hour ago, pete.i said:

Every single person on this forum will inevitably say "go for it" or words to that effect, except me. I have had three boats so far. None have been liveaboard. I wouldn't give up my bricks and mortar for all the money in the world. It has been "nice" owning my boats and it has been fun to get away occasionally to pootle up and down the canal. That soon gets mind numbingly boring eventually. Okay I will admit that my plan to "sail the system" never came to fruition mainly because of speed. It would take me 3 hours to get to the end of the canal and three hours to get back a journey I could do in a car in 15 minutes. My second boat was motor cruiser on a trailer that I intended to trailer to the places I wanted to be and launch, pootle and put it back on the trailer. Yeah right that went well . My life is way too short to waste it taking all that time to look at a few ducks and the same ole same ole water. I did find my satisfaction in making the boat be something that I liked rather than what it was when I bought it and that has been my theme with all my boats. Having said that I can do more or less the same thing with a vehicle or even the bits of a vehicle without having to worry about holes under the water that I cannot see and that might bite me in the backside at any time.

As I say I would NEVER consider living on a boat. Over the 12 or so years that I have had boats I have seen the system decline. I have seen AND experienced the wrath of the likes of fishermen, walkers one of who even took a pot shot at me with an air gun, and a few other things that have finally made me say that once my present boat is gone, and I only part own this one, I don't want to EVER own another boat.

You mention the convenience of be able to go to your house to do your laundry etc. There is a lot to be said for that. There is a lot to be said to have, almost, trouble free gas and electricity without having to think about where the next volt or the next joule of warmth and warm water is going to come from. There is a lot to be said about not having to make up the stove when it goes out on a very cold and snowy morning. There is a lot to be said about not having think about where I am going to dispose of my next crap. There is a lot to be said about getting into a nice hot shower, in my case, or a nice hot bath without having to worry whether there will be enough water left to have a cup of tea.

Reading this just made me feel sorry for you.  It reads like you just don't like boating, which makes your history of boat ownership puzzling.

I'm still waiting for one of these "extreme hardships" to come along.

Moving onto a boat was probably the best decision I ever made. 

Also, high on that list was getting a fully automatic washing machine on my boat.

There is simply nothing to compare with mooring up on a quiet and beautiful bit of canal.  Relaxing outside while the sun goes down with a lovely tipple.  Then waking the next morning to a hazy sunrise with the mist swirling along the water surface.  I know all boaters get that experience, but liveaboards get it more often than anyone else.  It makes all those greasy afternoons down the engine hole worth it.  And if you buy well, those will be few and far between anyway.

Edited by doratheexplorer
  • Greenie 2

To the OP.

I think what you did initially with your boating,was probably your best option.Keep your bricks and mortar and have a cheaper boat.

You don't have to spend all your hard earned on a boat,there are (or soon will be ) plenty of boats on the market.

The boat you sold sounded ideal,and of course there are grp cruisers (my favourites) which for less than £10K you will have a wide choice.

Once crewed on Cygnet,an Owl class 25ft steel narrowboat and thought it a delightful little boat,with quite enough space for weeks aboard.

Hope you get sorted.

3 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

Reading this just made me feel sorry for you.  It reads like you just don't like boating, which makes your history of boat ownership puzzling.

Also, high on that list was getting a fully automatic washing machine on my boat.

There is simply nothing to compare with mooring up on a quiet and beautiful bit of canal.  Relaxing outside while the sun goes down with a lovely tipple.  Then waking the next morning to a hazy sunrise with the mist swirling along the water surface.  I know all boaters get that experience, but liveaboards get it more often than anyone else.  It makes all those greasy afternoons down the engine hole worth it.  And if you buy well, those will be few and far between anyway.

We are all different,and reading your post living on your boat obviously suits you and makes you happy.

But again,what suits one person doesn't suit another.

Your observation of the beauty of your surroundings does you credit,not everyone will see their surroundings with your eyes.

29 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

I would tell the OP to go for it, and indeed I will! But I can give you a hardship that changed my mind about having a boat as my only home.

In May 2018 I was very fit, totally recovered from serious illness in 2012: a small lump appeared on my scalp. 

By September 2018 it was the size half a golf ball and was confirmed as cancer - within a few weeks I had an operation to remove a tumour from my skull, superficially I was still well, I caught the bus into Bath and walked two miles from the centre to RUH to have the OP (I could have done the same to get home in theory, but friends insisted on collecting me!)

Post operation infection - three days later my eyelids were so swollen I could barely see and I felt like death warmed up. Thankfully I was in centrally heated lodgings not on the boat. There is no way I could have put coal on a stove or lifted a gas cylinder. That was the moment I decided a boat could never be my only home, I'd have been in deep deep trouble and probably had to throw myself on the charity of others.

Get a boat, get two! I will soon be cruising in Juno and looking for another narrow boat, but I personally will not make myself so vulnerable again, there will be a land base I can retreat to when the chips are down. 

I intend to spend a lot of time on boats, but I won't put myself in the position of having nowhere else to go.

(The above is nothing to do with financial security which is where the OP started)

8 minutes ago, magpie patrick said:

I would tell the OP to go for it, and indeed I will! But I can give you a hardship that changed my mind about having a boat as my only home.

In May 2018 I was very fit, totally recovered from serious illness in 2012: a small lump appeared on my scalp. 

By September 2018 it was the size half a golf ball and was confirmed as cancer - within a few weeks I had an operation to remove a tumour from my skull, superficially I was still well, I caught the bus into Bath and walked two miles from the centre to RUH to have the OP (I could have done the same to get home in theory, but friends insisted on collecting me!)

Post operation infection - three days later my eyelids were so swollen I could barely see and I felt like death warmed up. Thankfully I was in centrally heated lodgings not on the boat. There is no way I could have put coal on a stove or lifted a gas cylinder. That was the moment I decided a boat could never be my only home, I'd have been in deep deep trouble and probably had to throw myself on the charity of others.

Get a boat, get two! I will soon be cruising in Juno and looking for another narrow boat, but I personally will not make myself so vulnerable again, there will be a land base I can retreat to when the chips are down. 

I intend to spend a lot of time on boats, but I won't put myself in the position of having nowhere else to go.

(The above is nothing to do with financial security which is where the OP started)

Sorry to hear that Patrick.

If I found myself in that situation, I would stay with family or friends.  I realise that's not an option for everyone.

• Love 1

12 hours ago, NB DW said:

Hello all.

I thought I'd post an update six months on from my original message - it feels like a long time ago since I started this thread and I expect most people have forgotten what it is all about and my situation.  I'm still in my mid-30s, single and no dependants, so no change there!

But other things have changed a little since my last post.  A long story short is that I sold my home in November.  I'm due to exchange and complete by the end of this month.  Having decided to shelve the liveaboard plan in the middle of last year for the reasons given, I instead planned to sell my home in order to buy another slightly larger home which needs doing up.  After months of looking at properties online, and a few in person, I never really got excited or fired up at anything I saw or even the idea of it.  To me, that's not a good sign when you're about to take out a larger mortgage and even more so when it's a home that's being bought; not exactly an insignificant purchase and not one which shouldn't generate much emotion or feeling, I don't reckon, at least.

With everything that's going on in the world, who can say whether house prices will drop, flatline or continue to increase.  So perhaps now isn't an ideal time to buy.  I think we're at least twelve months away from anything that resembles what we'd call normality in the world.

Over Christmas I was allowed a visit with my mum who's currently sectioned in a hospital due to complications with early onset of dementia, largely due to not eating and drinking, having been diagnosed at the age of 56.  I've been reminded again that perhaps I shouldn't be hanging about and dithering over making a big decision.  I'm due to get the results of the test taken to see whether I've inherited the genes which cause early onset, by the end of the month but that's another story.

Lastly, I was fortunate enough to get a promotion at work which kicked in during December and all's well there.

The idea of buying a larger boat to live on was and is something that's continued to nag at me.  I've continued to weigh the pros and cons of selling up to liveaboard, financially and otherwise, doing sums and maths on what things might look like financially if I were to do it.  I appreciate that not everything is about money and many of the pros and cons can't be measured by numbers and are intangible.  But massive worry and fear of coming off the property ladder has been one of the biggest blockers to be doing it.  I've even talked myself out of buying a larger boat on the basis a boat might be worth scrap value in ten years depending on what happens to diesel.

The sale of the house means I'd have £60k to buy a boat.  And enough set aside to cover a survey and some remedial work (assuming it's nothing too serious!).  I'd also have zero personal debt, no mortgage, and own my car etc outright.  Plus I'd be left with around £25k invested in stock and share funds / SIPP.  This is absolutely not meant to be some sort of an attempt at boasting or a brag, but I'd be fortunate enough to be able to bank/invest £2-3k per month should I choose to liveaboard - I only mention this as it's helped justify to myself my decision.

So, I've decided to go for it.  I'm buying a boat.  My plans are to liveboard.  No half measures, no lodgers or pulling out of my home's sale and getting a cheap BTL property to let out.  The idea is to do it for an absolute minimum of twelve months, taking in all the seasons, to get a full idea of what it's like.  I've chosen not to retain a property deliberately, in so not allowing myself a 'get out' or the ability to 'nip home' etc perhaps at a time when it's cold or lonely or whatever, a soft option which probably undermine what it's all about.

With what I'm very fortunate enough to bank, my thoughts are that if I were to choose to go back to dry land then I'd be no worse off even if house prices did rise, and I sold the boat twelve months from now.  Don't get me wrong, that's not my aim and I certaintly won't be circling days on a calendar.

If I'm still on it in ten years and diesel's dead I'm sure there'll be a feasible alternative by then in terms of ICE replacement even if it means putting my hand in my pocket.

So that's that!  Decision made!

The only problem is that due to lockdown nothing's coming to market and even that which does I'm not allowed to view.  So I'm sure there'll be a load of pent up demand again.  The people who I've sold my house to have bought it as a buy to let, so I'm renting it back from them on a rolling monthly contract until I find a boat which has saved me having to move out.

Thanks again for your good wishes and advice.

You are allowed to view places to move to - doesn't seem to say that it has to be on dry land!

The decision is made, don't hassle the man.....

The only caveat I would have, is that if it were me: I would go for an older boat, but a good boat, or even a classic boat, which has been cherished, not a  newer production line boat at £60K. One person does not need a 60 ft boat, I bought a 57ft trad, but a better layout and finish, there were a few smaller and smarter boats for sale, but I was not able to view them, and was buying in a hurry.

After a year (presumably not in a marina), of boating, OP will know if this boating business is fun, or best left to the grumpy old gits on here. 

I am warmer than in a house, and my decortive efforts have made it more 'mine', more cosy. I think a wider boat would have been better, but that is 'cos l've ben locked down for a long time, boating on broad canals, was not The Plan. You have to do a lot of things yourself , there is no other option.

I am more relaxed than I was in a house, the boating is a minor part of my life, I like living in the countryside, not in a housing estate, that is the main thing for me.

Edited by LadyG

8 minutes ago, LadyG said:

The decision is made, don't hassle the man.....

The only caveat I would have, is that if it were me: I would go for an older boat, but a good boat, or even a classic boat, which has been cherished, not a  newer production line boat say £60K. One person does not need a 60 ft boat, I bought a 57ft trad, but a better layout and finish, there were a few smaller and smarter boats for sale, but I was not able to view them, and was buying in a hurry.

After a year (presumably not in a marina), of boating, OP will know if this boating business is fun, or best left to the grumpy old gits on here. 

I am warmer than in a house, and my i

Decortive efforts have made it more 'mine', more cosy. I think a wider boat would have been better, but that is 'cos l've ben locked down for a long time, boating on broad canals, was not The Plan.

I am more relaxed than I was in a house, the boatng is a minor part of my life, I like living in the countryside, not in a housing estate, that is the main thing for me.

I like most of what you have said, apart from "One person does not need a 60 ft boat"  it's not something you can say with certainty especially if you have as much 'stuff' as I do for instance. Before any say that stuff isn't important, it is to me. It is all tidily packed away (most of the time!) and the builder said he had never made as many doors for a boat before. 

14 minutes ago, Chagall said:

I like most of what you have said, apart from "One person does not need a 60 ft boat"  it's not something you can say with certainty especially if you have as much 'stuff' as I do for instance. Before any say that stuff isn't important, it is to me. It is all tidily packed away (most of the time!) and the builder said he had never made as many doors for a boat before. 

I also found "one person does not need a 60 ft boat" when followed by "I bought a 57 ft trad".   Surely 3 ft doesn't make that much difference.

• Greenie 1

Thanks very much for the input everyone.  Appreciated.

Reading the replies has made doubt set in again and I don't mean that to sound critical of the advice given.  It's caused me to have a wobble. 

As said before, I've been concerned about giving up bricks and mortar but in not doing this I'd not be able to afford the boat.  My house is sold and with the £60k equity I've got in it I couldn't get a BTL mortgage (hefty deposit needed) and have enough left for the boat.

I think I could get back on the ladder should I want to in a few years, assuming I got a reasonable return on the boat, plus what I can bank and invest meanwhile.  I reckon £60-80k is doable in 3-4 years.

I've definitely no illusions over life being easy, quite the opposite, which is why I've been procrastinating over things.  For three months I spent six nights a week on a 25ft cruiser stern Aintree Beetle with only a 100 litre water tank etc.  I'm not mechinically minded but I'm willing to learn.  And when things break I'm fortunate enough to have the funds to sort it, without meaning to sound crass.  I've never lit a stove - the Beetle had blown air heating and the Eberspacher pump was far too noisy/had an irritating click, click, click to leave running overnight, so the temperature of the boat was regularly 8 degrees and damn cold in the morning.  In January there was frost on the inside of the windows.  To me, if I could put up with that then I reckon I'm fairly robust - maybe I'd find waking up to temperatures in double digits pure luxury if a stove's been left running!  I'm definitely a long way removed from some of the vapid "I JUST SOLD MY HOUSE AND BOUGHT A BOAT!!!!  YOUTUBE!!!" crowd who appear clueless.  I'm very much a newbie when it comes to boats but seeing some of these videos and the evident lack of research or understanding of what they've gotten into is unreal.

I've no emotional attachment to my current home and maybe that's because I see it as a house rather than a home.  This probably born out of having moved and lived across countless houses and towns/cities in the last ten years, only being settled in one place in the last four years permanently.

I've tried the leisure boat route before.  My thoughts were it's too expensive to have for the use I'd get out of it and I couldn't justify it to myself.  I reckoned on living aboard not only because I liked the idea but also because the cost was then justifiable - living aboard was no more expensive than having it for leisure use.

A 50ft boat is a decent enough size for what I'd need and £50-60k should get me something very decent.  I'm not interested in white painted/modern interiors.  Something a bit more traditional like T+G would be lovely.  And yes, the boat would be kept in a marina with decent facilities and then moved on to the cut regularly.  I'd be based in Nantwich so I wouldn't be stuck on the same stretch seeing the same sights - I can go north or south on the Shroppie, or up the Llangollen, or across the Middlewich to the T+M.  I had an end of farm mooring before and didn't cruise that much.  I just enjoyed the open views and seeing boats pass me, and the activity on the tow path opposite.  It was far more social than I've found living in a house (albeit it's a new-ish build estate and I don't much like it).

The doubt or perhaps the reality of maybe a duff decision has set back in now.

One horrible thought seems to be a quote I read somewhere once..."they all move back to land eventually". 

11 hours ago, Jerra said:

11 hours ago, Jerra said:

I also found "one person does not need a 60 ft boat" when followed by "I bought a 57 ft trad".   Surely 3 ft doesn't make that much difference.

I got the impression that OP seemed determined to spend £60K on his boat, the bigger the better, only he will know how much space is needed for storage, and there will be a big difference in storagecapacity between boats, mine is quite 'small' for a 57fter, this is due to having a conventional layout with two double beds (one is a diner), given time and other factors. I could have viewed dozens of boats and found one more exactly to my requirements, but sometimes one has to make a decision and get on with it, OP may find himself in that position.

I spent a lot of time looking  online at boats, YouTube, appolo duck, and never really considered a wide boat, not a modern Collingwood wide beam, but something with more 'boaty' character. 

Re the 60 foot v 57 ft length, I understood that the 57ft is easier in locks, and as a single hander, easier and safer is a major factor. 

A trad must give you more cabin, but a cruiser or semi trad is better if friends are coming with you. A reverse layout certainly appeals to me, but again, you usually have to compromise. 

Edited by LadyG

11 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

There are not many 'buried at sea' (on the canals), so yes, we all move back to land eventually

Normally in a wooden box 7foot x 21/2foot not quite canal boat shaped but near enough ⛴️?

13 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

There are not many 'buried at sea' (on the canals), so yes, we all move back to land eventually

Float off down the cut in this

Home | Crazy Coffins

Gallery | Crazy Coffins

I suppose one day me boating, it will have to stop
By then I’ll know I’m past me prime
They’ll carry me up the Junction if they have to carry me fly
And by then I’ll know I’ve had me time
Wrap me in a canvas, put me behind the mast
Give me a clean road, won’t we travel fast
With the black crepe blowing in the wind this trip will be me last
I’ll have finished moving up the cuts
With the black crepe blowing in the wind this trip will be me last
I’ll have finished moving up the cuts

Boat coffin.jpg

Edited by Ray T

1 minute ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Get on with it man!    Don't spend £60K, you can get a fair 50 ft boat for £30K.   Living aboard is not like leisure boating unless you sit in a marina paying through the nose most of the year.

Maybe he doesn't want a 'fair' boat, maybe he doesn't want to do the work that comes with a 'fair' boat, maybe he wants a 'nice' boat to live in.

I'm not looking to spend money for the sake of it and max out my budget.  I'm fairly open to layout and shell type, I wouldn't rule anything out until I've seen it.

I don't want a project boat or a do-er upper, I want something that's ready to go.  For £50K I should get a very decent 50(ish)ft boat, I'd hope.  Just wish something would come to the market.

I'm able to view boats if they're going to be a primary residence.  Brokers are accepting this.

My head's still spinning over what to do and I was up til 4am thinking about it.

Just now, NB DW said:

I don't want a project boat or a do-er upper, I want something that's ready to go.  For £50K I should get a very decent 50(ish)ft boat, I'd hope.  Just wish something would come to the market.

I thought you had said earlier that you didn't want a 'do-er-upper'.

£30k ish 'at todays prices' is likely to 'require work' of some sort.

I agree that £50k should get you a tidy, decent boat.

5 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I thought you had said earlier that you didn't want a 'do-er-upper'.

£30k ish 'at todays prices' is likely to 'require work' of some sort.

I agree that £50k should get you a tidy, decent boat.

I'm a bit confused - that's exactly what I said:

"I don't want a project boat or a do-er upper, I want something that's ready to go"

• Greenie 2
  • Happy 1