Drama on the good boat Nightwatch.

Featured Posts

9 minutes ago, Keeping Up said:

Our holding tank is stainless steel, but as the material was too thin to take a thread for the bolts they made a thick collar for them to screw into. Unfortunately they used mild steel for the collar which then rotted away so one day when the crew member sat on the loo it fell right through into the tank; in that moment she discovered new meanings to both the phrases "dump through" and then "getting your own back"

Did she immediately go for a short, sharp shower?  :giggles:

13 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:

I've found that most of the leaks from dump through bowls is due to the bottom seal and the special brass bolts rotting away due to urine.

Usually the top of the tank is the first to go due to this leakage.

If you do change the tank, consider putting a pump out on both sides of the boat, saves a lot of winding.

I have had two boats with pumpout fitting centre roof. No back bending and it doesnt matter which side you park on.

2 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

I have had two boats with pumpout fitting centre roof. No back bending and it doesnt matter which side you park on.

Yes both of our share boats had roof pumpout fittings.

It doesn't matter if it is offset to one side. The hose always reached.

I don't know why this isn't universal, eliminates the need to wind or balance on the offside gunwale with a fully stretched hose and risk falling in.

4 minutes ago, cuthound said:

I don't know why this isn't universal, eliminates the need to wind or balance on the offside gunwale with a fully stretched hose and risk falling in.

I think its because on a very very odd occasion at a yard with a useless pump it can be hard to pull the crap uphill and as the pipe usualy runs between two bulkheads can lose four invhes of cabin length??

• Greenie 2

1 hour ago, mrsmelly said:

I think its because on a very very odd occasion at a yard with a useless pump it can be hard to pull the crap uphill and as the pipe usualy runs between two bulkheads can lose four invhes of cabin length??

In 22 years of shareboating, across virtually all of the system, I never found a yard that couldn't pump us out effectively. Our hoses were hidden in the backs of wardrobes or cupboards.

2 hours ago, cuthound said:

Was it a rigid pipe up to the roof

4 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Was it a rigid pipe up to the roof

Mine isnt its plastic replaceable on this boat.

1 hour ago, cuthound said:

In 22 years of shareboating, across virtually all of the system, I never found a yard that couldn't pump us out effectively. Our hoses were hidden in the backs of wardrobes or cupboards.

Mine runs up behind a bulkhead. The patheic pump now at Lower Heyford cannot do my bog, I have to use Aynho on the rare occasion I pump it out and arent cruising.

Update and conclusion. Panic? Me? Never! Well a little bit.

Bought all new seals for the Sealand Traveler. Got the seals yesterday but wasn’t feeling too well. Got up this morning and away we went.

The only bit we didn’t replace was the vacuum breaker. All seemed well. Lots of cleaning of the normally inaccessible bits.

All seems well now on the good boat Nightwatch. Until the next issue.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Nightwatch said:

Update and conclusion. Panic? Me? Never! Well a little bit.

Bought all new seals for the Sealand Traveler. Got the seals yesterday but wasn’t feeling too well. Got up this morning and away we went.

The only bit we didn’t replace was the vacuum breaker. All seemed well. Lots of cleaning of the normally inaccessible bits.

All seems well now on the good boat Nightwatch. Until the next issue.

I have had 2 return springs fail on the ball

33 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

I have had 2 return springs fail on the ball

Replaced the Ball, came with new Screws and spring.

Anyone know what the Vacuum breaker does? I know it breaks vacuum. What vacuum?

Edited by Nightwatch

8 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

Replaced the Ball, came with new Screws and spring.

Anyone know what the Vacuum breaker does? I know it breaks vacuum. What vacuum?

Stops any syphon effect drawing water from your domestic system with the water pump turned off. If it did contaminated water might flow back into the domestic system.

• Greenie 2

11 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

Stops any syphon effect drawing water from your domestic system with the water pump turned off. If it did contaminated water might flow back into the domestic system.

Thanks tony. Important bit of kit then.

• 3 months later...

Since all of the above we have experienced continued issues with our toilet. The bowl stopped retaining water.

Following discussions with Midland Chandlers, and Leesan at Fenny Compton and taking the loo apart at least four times, we still had the same issue.

Anyway, I grasped the nettle and once again dismantled the toilet. Cleaned all bits and reassembled. I think, this has happened before, but it now retains water in the loo, but when you sit on it you can hear the water discharging into the tank. The only thing we can think is that with weight on the pedestal it is distorting the seals allowing the water to drop through.

Any ideas please. Even thought of a new one. But ours must be 29 years old and the new ones are white, ours is ivory(ish). Not an issue, but the quality is no where near as good. And seals don’t cost £400+.

4 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

Since all of the above we have experienced continued issues with our toilet. The bowl stopped retaining water.

Following discussions with Midland Chandlers, and Leesan at Fenny Compton and taking the loo apart at least four times, we still had the same issue.

Anyway, I grasped the nettle and once again dismantled the toilet. Cleaned all bits and reassembled. I think, this has happened before, but it now retains water in the loo, but when you sit on it you can hear the water discharging into the tank. The only thing we can think is that with weight on the pedestal it is distorting the seals allowing the water to drop through.

Any ideas please. Even thought of a new one. But ours must be 29 years old and the new ones are white, ours is ivory(ish). Not an issue, but the quality is no where near as good. And seals don’t cost £400+.

Porta bog ?

Did you clean up and apply a smear of silicon grease to the mating surfaces of the two half clamps and the toilet pedestal & pan so they do not jamb when you tighten the clamp. I think the clamp screw has a hexagon end for a reason - so you  can get it tighter than with a screwdriver.  I would also apply a smear of grease over all the faces of the two rubber "seals" so they can  slip a little if they want to. Have you got the two "seals" the correct way up and in the correct position i.e. not transposed.

1 hour ago, Tony Brooks said:

Did you clean up and apply a smear of silicon grease to the mating surfaces of the two half clamps and the toilet pedestal & pan so they do not jamb when you tighten the clamp. I think the clamp screw has a hexagon end for a reason - so you  can get it tighter than with a screwdriver.  I would also apply a smear of grease over all the faces of the two rubber "seals" so they can  slip a little if they want to. Have you got the two "seals" the correct way up and in the correct position i.e. not transposed.

Not used any grease of any form. All surfaces cleaned. Tightened the clamp (jubilee clip, very large) with a small spanner. The seals are in the correct positions. I am baffled to be honest, but that’s not a difficult Thing to do.

Edited by Nightwatch

Not used any grease of any form. All surfaces cleaned. Tightened the clamp (jubilee clip, very large) with a small spanner. The seals are in the correct positions. I am baffled to be honest, but that’s not a difficult Thing to do.

Try lightly greasing the two half clamp inner faces. I would use plumber's silicon grease because the seals maybe rubber degrade with ordinary grease or Vaseline. The V shaped inner surfaces of those camps pull the two halves together so is anything, such as a lack of lubricant, prevents them fully seating you may well get the symptoms you describe.

Its similar thinking to lightly greasing gaskets before fitting them.

Edited by Tony Brooks
  • Happy 1