Drama on the good boat Nightwatch.

Featured Posts

Hello. It seems our intention to change from pump out to cassette Is being forced to happen sooner rather than later. Just discovered ‘fluid’ under the bed where the holding tank lives. Therefore we must have a hole(s).

We are in the Banbury area. Anyone any recommendations of someone to price up the transformation? Can travel of course.

• Sad 1
  • Horror 1

22 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

He’s a fan of pump outs I believe. Well, he bought a boat with one!!?

Do you have an integral steel tank? .....................praying you say no!!

6 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Do you have an integral steel tank? .....................praying you say no!!

I would love to say no!. But, I don’t know. I’d need to strip down the bed to have a shufty. Perhaps someone may know what Dave Clarke Hull builder used to Fit in the early nineties.

Need to look forward to sleeping in the saloon for a few days I reckon.

8 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

I would love to say no!. But, I don’t know. I’d need to strip down the bed to have a shufty. Perhaps someone may know what Dave Clarke Hull builder used to Fit in the early nineties.

Need to look forward to sleeping in the saloon for a few days I reckon.

So it could be integral steel ( worst case ) it could be free standing mild steel that plenty of people used in including hire fleets to this day.I could be freestanding stainless steel or indeed plastic??? I can come and look if ya want old sport. I have removed each kind over the years but got fed up and have left this one in lol. I just use a proper boat toilet as there is plenty of room in my bathroom for both. Fitting the cassette is a doddle especialy if there is an easy bulkhead to mount it against for retreival of the cassette? Do you absolutely need the tank space as storage? if not we can likely empty it and leave it in place and still fit a proper boat toilet?

Just now, haggis said:

It couldn't just be condensation, could it? said she hopefully! 

haggis

Such a nice Lady thinking like that ?

Ir could well only be a leak from a pipe or somett anyway????? do not despair ?

• Greenie 2

Let’s hope I get all this correct.

its definitely a steel tank. I’ve seen the top of it years ago. No idea if it’s an integral (welded to the hull) tank. I have two JRTs, even though small couldn’t get under the bed to leave deposits. Unlike MrSmelly we have a stupid small bathroom.

Looking online, the depth of the thetford cassette loos, is amazingly deep. (That is front to back). Having removed the tank and the corresponding box over it that the toilet head sits on, it will take up a hellofalot of floor space.

So, being an open minded sort of chap, I’m now swaying towards replacing existing tank with a lovely sparkly clean new one. Not my preference, but................ This decision may tempt MrSmelly to rescind his offer of help as it goes against the grain. This of course depends on getting the old one out successfully.

As a standby, we have a Porta Potti 365. We could bring that into permanent use, but I can’t see if you can purchase additional ‘collection’ tanks. Mind you the whole unit is cheaper than a back up tank for a Thetford C200!!

Anyway, I think tomorrow will see me burrowing under the bad space with screwdriver, torch and wacking big hammer to ascertain welded in or not. (I might add, I won’t be hammering the tank. Too dodgy). 
 I have written to the hull builder (Dave Clarke) yeah! I know, please don’t I know them all, to ask if they know how they installed the tanks in the day. Fingers crossed for good news.

• Greenie 1

41 minutes ago, stagedamager said:

Sorry  we are no where near you at the moment! 

Is your toilet a dump through or macerator, we have some stainless dump through tanks sat doing nothing if you need a cheaper one?

Thank you.

Dump through. Once I’ve gained access I’ll get me ruler out and let you know the size we might need. Like the sound of S/S. Get Margaret to polish it as she rolls up her sleeping bag every morning.

1 hour ago, Nightwatch said:

Let’s hope I get all this correct.

its definitely a steel tank. I’ve seen the top of it years ago. No idea if it’s an integral (welded to the hull) tank. I have two JRTs, even though small couldn’t get under the bed to leave deposits. Unlike MrSmelly we have a stupid small bathroom.

Looking online, the depth of the thetford cassette loos, is amazingly deep. (That is front to back). Having removed the tank and the corresponding box over it that the toilet head sits on, it will take up a hellofalot of floor space.

So, being an open minded sort of chap, I’m now swaying towards replacing existing tank with a lovely sparkly clean new one. Not my preference, but................ This decision may tempt MrSmelly to rescind his offer of help as it goes against the grain. This of course depends on getting the old one out successfully.

As a standby, we have a Porta Potti 365. We could bring that into permanent use, but I can’t see if you can purchase additional ‘collection’ tanks. Mind you the whole unit is cheaper than a back up tank for a Thetford C200!!

Anyway, I think tomorrow will see me burrowing under the bad space with screwdriver, torch and wacking big hammer to ascertain welded in or not. (I might add, I won’t be hammering the tank. Too dodgy). 
 I have written to the hull builder (Dave Clarke) yeah! I know, please don’t I know them all, to ask if they know how they installed the tanks in the day. Fingers crossed for good news.

Thetford dont supply spare holding tanks for the 365 unfortunately. I guess your best bet would eBay and dispose of the top half. Or as you suggest buy a whole new one and do the same.

1 hour ago, Nightwatch said:

Have you considered replacing it with a waterless toilet ?

47 minutes ago, roland elsdon said:

There is a self pump out thingy machine at Fenny Compton, by that new  leisure boatyard thing they built a few years ago. Other than that it’s the new hole in the ground at Cropredy but don’t know if they are open. Guess they must have a machine.

Cropredy Marina's pumpout is operative at the moment.. Used it last week ,self service as a moorer and if push comes to shove I have a spare token. I'm on the boat tomorrow 10 ish to 4 ish   Just above there Richard at the slipway above Broadmoor lock might be able to help on the cutting out / welding front 

2 hours ago, Slim said:

Cropredy Marina's pumpout is operative at the moment.. Used it last week ,self service as a moorer and if push comes to shove I have a spare token. I'm on the boat tomorrow 10 ish to 4 ish   Just above there Richard at the slipway above Broadmoor lock might be able to help on the cutting out / welding front 

Thank you. I know Richard. Has done work in here before.  

14 hours ago, Slim said:

Just above there Richard at the slipway above Broadmoor lock might be able to help on the cutting out / welding front 

Welsh Richard has done various work on our boat over a number of years and has always done a good job for not too much money.

Telephone number 07790 843865.

39 minutes ago, Athy said:

Welsh Richard has done various work on our boat over a number of years and has always done a good job for not too much money.

Telephone number 07790 843865.

Thank you a Mike. Seems we have a tired loo tank. It isn’t integral which is a bonus. We may go down the road of replacement with new rather than change. Our bath room is pokey to say the least. If I had a cat I would be able to swing it. (I am aware of what the ‘cat’ is in this instance. I’m not cruel to felines.)