Brummagem Brumtugs

Esox

Featured Posts

2 hours ago, rovingrom said:

Quite possibly the same mould?  All I know about the 3 boats in my Brummagem photos is that the hulls were Rugby Boatbuilders - quite distinctive at both bow and stern.  Did you see my photo of LORNA II, a sponsored boat in the mid-1970's Brummagem fleet, and most definitely a Teddesley build:

Hi Colin. It's been recorded before on this forum that LAD, LADY and LASS had Rugby Boatbuilders hulls and Teddesley cabins.

https://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?/topic/17283-hire-boats-gas-steet-basin-in-early-1960s/&do=findComment&comment=1473432

26 minutes ago, John Brightley said:

Hi Colin. It's been recorded before on this forum that LAD, LADY and LASS had Rugby Boatbuilders hulls and Teddesley cabins.

https://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?/topic/17283-hire-boats-gas-steet-basin-in-early-1960s/&do=findComment&comment=1473432

Thanks John - I stand corrected!  Feels like I'm going round in circles - a bit like going round and round the Oozell's Street Loop to catch as many glimpses of Sherborne Street Wharf as possible....  ;)

• Greenie 1

That bought back memories! I spent countless hours in the double dock with Lord knows how many boats over the years. The middle walkway was always the worst to work on, just ply boards on scaffolding. Invariably a bulky boatfitter would stomp along, often carrying something heavy. I can compensate for slight movements of the boat when I’m painting but if the surface I’m working on starts moving, I’m buggered! A grunted apology was the usual reply.

20 minutes ago, dave moore said:

That bought back memories! I spent countless hours in the double dock with Lord knows how many boats over the years. The middle walkway was always the worst to work on, just ply boards on scaffolding. Invariably a bulky boatfitter would stomp along, often carrying something heavy. I can compensate for slight movements of the boat when I’m painting but if the surface I’m working on starts moving, I’m buggered! A grunted apology was the usual reply.

Followed by a loud "splash"...? 

• Greenie 1

I know it's not a BrumTug post but as this is the most current Brummagem thread here, I'll post my full stock of 1976 Brummagem trip boat pics (4).  The EUPHRATES PACKET is the one with the angled roof and skylights - steerer is Malcolm Wigley, now (I believe) living in New Zealand.  BRUMMAGEM FLY is ex GUCCC COROLLA. 
Apols for the poor quality - they are scanned from slides that are becoming very pink with age! :)

TripBF 20med.jpg

TripBF 21med.jpg

TripEP 16med.jpg

TripEP 19med.jpg

• Greenie 1

On 14/06/2020 at 06:13, Scholar Gypsy said:

A bit of a long shot, I assume this is a different QUERCUS to that owned by Pat Barton, who sadly died last year. I have fond memories of meeting her (and her boat) as part of the Jubilee Pageant in 2012, I am sure I can find a photo, and there was an article about the boat in one of the waterway magazines not too long ago.  https://www.waterways.org.uk/lichfield/news/2019_news

Pat Barton's Quercus from 2013

Q.JPG

Edited by Tim Lewis
  • Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Tim Lewis said:

On 14/06/2020 at 06:13, Scholar Gypsy said:
A bit of a long shot, I assume this is a different QUERCUS to that owned by Pat Barton, who sadly died last year. 

Pat Barton's Quercus from 2013

Thanks to you both for posting.  It looks however like Pat Barton's boat was not a BrumTug.  It's missing the distinctive bow/prow "snout" that most (but not all) BrumTugs had (see my photo of Brumtug CITY OF BIRMINGHAM below).  However also the curvy cut-out sides to the cabin front end are unlike any of the other BrumTugs and totally different to the design visible in the photo posted by RS2012 taken from the 1988 Hoseason's brochure of BrumTug QUERCUS / QUERQUS (name changed over the years!).

P1013343med.jpg

Querqus.jpg

• Greenie 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all. Not specifically a Brumtug question but hopefully someone can advise. We’re considering buying a 61ft 1990 Brummagem and just wondered what people’s thoughts are on the build quality of their boats. Obviously dependent on how she’s been maintained over the years but are we looking at a fairly solid boat if it’s been looked after properly?

• 3 weeks later...
On 17/07/2020 at 10:13, Jessie86 said:

Hi all. Not specifically a Brumtug question but hopefully someone can advise. We’re considering buying a 61ft 1990 Brummagem and just wondered what people’s thoughts are on the build quality of their boats. Obviously dependent on how she’s been maintained over the years but are we looking at a fairly solid boat if it’s been looked after properly?

1990 is a while ago in the realm of steel hulls immersed long-term in water, especially in marinas with lots of other boats plugged into the mains.  Even well-built hulls made from quality steel can be pretty rusty after 30 years.  Brummagem used hulls/shells built by Colecraft (usually good quality steel), Malcolm Pearson (again good quality), and other builders.  They also fabricated some hulls and shells themselves.  Brummagem employed a substantial team of engineers, fitters, carpenters, painters, etc., for boat fitting out.  Many were excellent.  Many of their boats served in the Brummagem and Alvechurch hire fleets, marketed through Hoseasons through the 1980's and early 1990's.  Hire boats are usually solid but relatively simple builds, lacking in luxury and refinement.  In the early 1990's Brummagem were bought out by Alvechurch Boat Centre and all Brummagem activities ceased.  I would suggest that the original build quality of a 1990's boat is less relevant 30 years on.  It's now all about how the boat has been maintained and modified in those 30 years.  Just get a full professional survey (not just hull) and make an offer accordingly.

• 5 months later...

I remember Valley Cruises ran a Brumtug for maybe five years from around 1989.  I think this was called Nene Valley.

I thought this was perhaps ex Brummagem's hirefleet and maybe the one that then went on to Saisons as "Asti", as they were not around until maybe late 90s or so

Also, does anyone else remember that "Golden Hind" (photo earlier in thread), the height of luxury at the time was stolen in either 1990 or 1991, but she was found

Dan

Yes, I remember the theft, though details are sketchy now. Once recovered, the boat was put in a wet dock behind the offices and effectively sealed off to allow forensic investigation. When new, I added the livery. Julian and Barrie Stanton will be able to put flesh on these meagre bones.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 13/06/2020 at 12:15, rovingrom said:

As it happens I can tell you almost exactly where Ibis is now!  She is on Apollo Duck currently for sale, having recently been extensively restored, refitted and repainted.  Location shows only as "Oxfordshire". Along with Esox above, I am the founder of the new Facebook "BrumTug" group (https://www.facebook.com/groups/2333300103642367). 2 days ago I posted a copy of the sale advert to the group but the owner/seller asked me to remove it (no idea why), which I have now done.  I will just post the advert photo here. If anyone is interested and can't find the advert on Apollo Duck (try a search for "Brummagen" with an "N") let me know and I'll direct you.

IBIS cds.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
On 03/04/2021 at 20:36, Martin Etheridge said:

Hi all,

I’ve just signed up to canal world.

I noticed a post back last year asking about locating Brumtug Ibis. 

I’m pleased to say we bought her in August and she now lives on the River Wey near Guildford 

Regards 

Martin

Hi Martin,
I've only just seen your post from 03 April - welcome to Canal World and the wonderful world of Brum Tugs!  It's really helpful to know you are the new owner of IBIS and to know she's on the River Wey.  There should be a couple of other Brum Tugs on the Wey and we at the BrumTug Group on Facebook would be immensely grateful to hear if you find them.  As far as I know they are:
1. TROS YR AFON: Originally BEAVER (1) and later ASTI. 71376 and possibly still in original 32ft form with long covered hold.
2. NUTHATCH: Originally BEAVER (2) 47299 but extended to 41ft and relicensed as 45879. Possibly still has long covered hold.

We have very few photos of IBIS - apart from a recent photo and another posted on the Duck by the previous owner (Sean?), we have only the 2 below.  The photo showing IBIS in black (courtesy Joy Arnold) was a very low res pic (12.7 KB) from the time before the cabin was extended.  You can see that the name panel from the original all-black colour scheme has been retained, with the pale grey/green painted around it!  In the Farmers Bridge photo, IBIS can just be seen behind Brum Tug No.2 EPOREDIA.  This is an early photo and even then it seems that IBIS was painted black or battleship grey.

If you are a Facebook user, please come and find us at "BrumTug" - you will be made most welcome!
742678090_BT2EPOREDIAwithIBISQbehindingrey.jpg.cba67c245f3b8ee7dea8f3a5699c4eb1.jpg1695973774_fromJoyArnoldM.jpg.cdba97da62273309486edc605d8c8853.jpg
Colin

• Greenie 1

6 minutes ago, Athy said:

I remember an 'Asti' which operated as a day-hire boat from the chandlery at Whilton Marina, probably about 1999. Would that be the same boat?

Yes Athy,

Brum Tug BEAVER (the first of two Brum Tug Beavers!) served in the Brummagem hire fleet from new (1984/5) until around 1989 when it was sold to Saisons (owned by Chris Gosling and Richard Saillet) based at Whilton Locks, who used it as a day boat in their small but eclectic fleet.  As far as we know it was renamed TROS YR AFON around 2012 and went to the River Wey where we assume it remains, although we've had no reports in the last 9 years.....

The photos below are courtesy http://nbrumpus.cut-net.co.uk/ and Mike Stevens. 
There are 2 YouTube videos of ASTI at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gpg4ZMUxBPM and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSZ_W9neMTM&t=46s

Colin

Beaver i.jpg

Rumpus web ASTI.jpg

• Greenie 1

54 minutes ago, rovingrom said:

Brum Tug BEAVER (the first of two Brum Tug Beavers!) served in the Brummagem hire fleet from new (1984/5) until around 1989 when it was sold to Saisons (owned by Chris Gosling and Richard Saillet) based at Whilton Locks, who used it as a day boat in their small but eclectic fleet. 

Richard Saillet featured in a number of threads on the forum a few years ago, culminating in this one:

I must have got the story wrong. The chap and his wife at Whilton Chandlery when Asti first arrived were an older couple and most respectable. I think they retired not long afterwards. Maybe they were just agents for Asti (which was joined after a while by another, longer boat - Merlot?) rather than the owners.