Brummagem Brumtugs

Esox

Featured Posts

Brummagem also had a couple of centre cockpit 35ft in their hire fleet. These offered a 4 berth boat with relatively private sleeping quarters in a small boat, and weather protection with a roof and canopy. 

One of them is moored at Stourport Basin.

We have a brum tug.  She's called Theodora now but was Kingswood Lady in times past.  60'  12ft open deck in the bow.  Reverse mounted engine with  belt drive to the prop shaft.

Here is a copy of the discussion had on CWDF.

Looking at the photograph of your boat, although a little small, and your statement that it was built by Colecraft in 1983 would I be correct in thinking it was completed by Brummagem Boats, Sherborne Street Wharf, Birmingham as a 60' 'Brum Tug' ?

I lived at, and operated camping boats from Sherborne Street Wharf from 1980 to 1985 and your boat looks familiar !

Pete Harrison

Our knowledge of the origins of Theodora are sketchy in the extreme and based on comments in the survey done by the last but one owner. Apparently the brass builder's plaque was left lying about in the boat so it might not even belong to Theodora.

I have a feeling that the steelwork is genuine Colecraft because she has been identified as such by two apparently knowledgeable gongoozlers who volunteered the suggestion unsolicited. We would be delighted if you can tell us any more about her origins or suggest where we might look for more information.

Many thanks for contacting us.

Is your B.W.B. Index Number 70695 ? If this is your boat it was registered in 1984 as KINGSWOOD LADY, and also issued with a house boat certificate (B.W.B. records - not Jim Shead's website).

The boat I remember was about 60', part converted with a steel cabin and was a house boat at Kingswood Junction (about a length up from the junction bridge although I do not recall its name as it was in red oxide). One identifying feature of 'Brum Tugs' was a traditional style rear to the cabin with the engine placed beneath the rear deck driving the propellor via 'V' belts or a chain. This gave full standing height all the way through the cabin. The 30' 'Brum Tugs' also had a flat prow so that a button fender would sit neatly on the fore end, but this may not have been the case with the one off 60' version.

I am sure this should establish whether we are talking about the same boat or not !

Regards.

On the nail, Pete!

All you say is correct, right down to the license number. We have a triple v belt drive and the engine (BMC 1.5) is mounted in reverse so we have a left handed prop. The stern is of a traditional shape but is larger in area than a true trad. having the engine mounted this way around means that there is a bit more full height cabin space because the engine can sit further back and the gear box and belt drive fit under the back steps. She is 60' to the ends of the fixed metalwork i.e. excluding the fenders and the rudder.

You say that she was "part converted". From what?

We are at Camden tonight and on the way down from Paddington one of the water buses passed us. The steerer said that he recognised the style and that she was a Rugby boat. Is she a Colecraft build?

Waiting with eager anticipation!

Nick

"I love it when a plan comes together". My true interest is in 'historic' narrow boats so this is an interesting, if not rather nostalgic tangent for me to be heading off on.

I am pleased I have added something to the history of your boat and I can confirm that the bare hull was built by Colecraft at their Long Itchington factory (near Royal Leamington Spa, Warwickshire) and fitted out by Brummagem Boats, Sherborne Street Wharf, Brimingham. I recall the fore end of your boat as being slightly different to the other 'Brum Tugs', perhaps built a little more substantially due to its extra weight (the 30' 'Brum Tugs' were a little flimsy, but they all still survive !). I suppose its shape is not dis-similar to a Rugby Boatbuilders built boat of the 1970's, but it is definately not one.

When I said part converted I meant the cabin went part way down the hold, equally part unconverted. Your boat was a completely new build and did not incorporate any parts of any other boat. I think the B.M.C. 1500 is probably the original engine.

I did not work for Brummagem Boats (well maybe helping prepare hire boats for beer money from time to time) but I did live at their wharf from 1980 to 1985, working for another company as a camping boat steerer. A freind of mine purchased the first 'Brum Tug', TRELEASE and I have always had a soft spot for these boats since. I have seen TRELEASE (although now renamed) on a number of occassions tied at Denham Deep Lock, near Uxbridge.

Comments from a conversation that I had with Barry Stanton in September 2013

Built for Brummagem Boats by Colecraft? And with Typical Colecraft bow rather than a BB bow which had a flat plate for a button.

Engine room: typical BB layout

Stern fender typical BB

Possibly stretched (extra thick plate fitted randomly to starboard hold space.

Bought as liveaboard moored at Kingswood Junction

BB used to build boats with about 12' open bow space and cloths

Hope this helps.

Picture to follow.

23 hours ago, rovingrom said:

So rustynewbery and Sea Dog - can you tell us any more?  Do you know the boat or it's present location, or do you have other connections with it?  Do you know if it has/had a traditional back cabin?  Sea Dog - did you hire Quercus or own it?  What are those fond memories??

Quercus had beautiful new pea green paint job, a very nice back cabin, a little kitchenette galley and head/shower forward of that (no engine room in a short little Brumtug - twas hidden back aft with chain drive (iirc) to the shaft) and she had a saloon up front which I think only a very few of them did. We didn't really use the saloon, preferring to  live in the back cabin with the little solid fuel (Epping?) stove: 2 Adults, a 4 year old, a 3 month old and a labrador. 

We hired her from Sherborne Street Wharf, gave a cheery wave to a bunch of glue sniffers under the first bridge we came to, passed a dead dog floating belly up looking like a sea mine and moored in the dark at the top of Factory Locks in Tipton.  Thereafter, we did the Black Country Museum for the first time I think, definitely Netherton Tunnel and had a Cow Pie at the little lucky pub when over-nighting in Windmill End. We explored Bumble Hole with no problem - never had anything round the prop the whole trip actually, so I don't know whether she even had a weedhatch!  We went down Delph Locks, but thereafter I can't recall much until the dog fell umpty three feet off the bottom gate of the bottom lock of the Wolverhampton 21 and never even flinched!  We hung a right at Horseley Fields Junction on the the Wednesbury, where things were a bit iffy with floating mattresses and the like, eventually to return to base down Ryders Green Locks. 

It was all very enjoyable and thoroughly interesting, with much of the now cleared industry either still going or standing silent.  Folk then were friendly and welcoming - pretty much as we find them in the same areas now.  I keep meeting boaters who think of the BCN and Birmingham in particular as Bandit Country because of the many tales told on social media it seems.  Having no such preconceptions back then, I have no idea whether we should have been scared... so we weren't and found no reason to be.  We simply moored when we were done for the day with no real concept of where we were. 

It goes without saying we were smitten by the canals, narrowboats and not least the BCN, and we hired a boat every year my military service allowed me to after that - although it would be another 30 years 'til we could afford to buy and maintain our own boat.  So, those little Brumtugs have a lot to answer for as far as I'm concerned - all of it good though!

So, there's my Quercus experience, which I hope covers your query.  Good luck in your quest and do keep us informed of your progress.  

8 hours ago, Theo said:

We have a brum tug.  She's called Theodora now but was Kingswood Lady in times past.  60'  12ft open deck in the bow.  Reverse mounted engine with  belt drive to the prop shaft.

Here is a copy of the discussion had on CWDF.

Thank you for the update Theo!  I have just finished compiling v1 of the BrumTug fleet list (with much help from Pete Harrison) and am about to post it to the Facebook group we have recently set up for BrumTug supporters.  The group is called (you'll never guess?!) "BrumTug" and the link is: https://www.facebook.com/groups/2333300103642367
Your update arrived just in time and I have added the extra details to the list.
On Pete's advice, which we agree with 100%, NB THEODORA (formerly KINGSWOOD LADY) is most definitely regarded as a genuine BrumTug. She has most of the characteristics of the other BrumTugs with the exception of being twice the length and not having the "snout" bow with the characteristic flat, diamond-shaped plate to seat a button fender.
The photo is great!
Colin.

This afternoon I was discussing with a neighbouring moorer my forthcoming holiday plans involving four of us in a 35’ boat when he remarked that his family hired Quercus for five on more than one occasion. It was most definitely the BrumTug he was talking about too.

JP

On 13/06/2020 at 15:16, Tim Lewis said:

The pub building (and sign) are still extant so there is hope yet ?  From 2019

Tim, you are not by any chance the Tim whose e-mail address started with "timtsll2" and is (or was) owner of BrumTug DOVETAIL (73318) are you??

1 hour ago, Sea Dog said:

Quercus had beautiful new pea green paint job, a very nice back cabin, a little kitchenette galley and head/shower forward of that (no engine room in a short little Brumtug - twas hidden back aft with chain drive (iirc) to the shaft) and she had a saloon up front which I think only a very few of them did. We didn't really use the saloon, preferring to  live in the back cabin with the little solid fuel (Epping?) stove: 2 Adults, a 4 year old, a 3 month old and a labrador. 

We hired her from Sherborne Street Wharf,......

Well Sea Dog, what you are describing is most definitely a BrumTug, however QUERCUS (or QUERQUS) remains a mystery to us.  It does not appear in any of our existing BrumTug fleet details, nor is there any record on the CanalPlan listings that corresponds.  Is there any chance you could remember what year you hired it, and how long it was (the boat, not the trip!)??  You don't by any chance have any photos do you, especially one showing a BWB licence number??? :)

22 minutes ago, Captain Pegg said:

This afternoon I was discussing with a neighbouring moorer my forthcoming holiday plans involving four of us in a 35’ boat when he remarked that his family hired Quercus for five on more than one occasion. It was most definitely the BrumTug he was talking about too.

The boat described above by Sea Dog is clearly a BrumTug by the name of QUERCUS (or QUERQUS) but it's identity remains a mystery.  Could you ask your friendly neighbour whether the QUERCUS he remembers hiring was longer or shorter than 35', where they hired from, and what year/s?  Any photos, especially showing a BWB licence number would be incredibly helpful! :)

2 hours ago, Loddon said:

I will just throw this in here

Loddon was built by Malcolm Pearson who also built Shells for Brummagem boats

Including Brumtug No3 in 1982

http://malcolmpearson.co.uk/index.php?id=3

Thanks Julian.  The same details were provided by a new member on our Facebook "BrumTug" page yesterday, such that we have been able to identify BRUM TUG No.3 and list it on our BrumTug fleet list.  In later years this boat was renamed MOSELEY SHOALS (after a place in Birmingham) and SHANID.

1 minute ago, rovingrom said:

The boat described above by Sea Dog is clearly a BrumTug by the name of QUERCUS (or QUERQUS) but it's identity remains a mystery.  Could you ask your friendly neighbour whether the QUERCUS he remembers hiring was longer or shorter than 35', where they hired from, and what year/s?  Any photos, especially showing a BWB licence number would be incredibly helpful! :)

I’d already intended to do that having read your comments above. I’ll see what he knows but I have no doubt he was referring to a BrumTug, he described the interior without me prompting.

I can recall a BrumTug being sold from Chirk Marina c.2015 and also passing one moored somewhere near Stockton three or four years ago. I note that’s near you so maybe that was yours?

JP

I believe it was Quercus with a C (as in the latin for Oak) and I don't think there's any doubt that she was one of Brummagem's little Brumtugs being hired from Sherborne Street in the 80s.  Have you tried the search facility here, as there have been other threads discussing Brumtugs in the past with info not covered so far here.  I think I recall Quercus having been renamed and perhaps on the Wey.  Mind you, she could also be razorblades... :(

33 minutes ago, RS2021 said:

1378640396_Brum1.jpg.da06f8ede5342dcb8cde2895694df7f6.jpg

Brum 2.jpg

Brum 3.jpg

My first ever boat holiday was on Britannic ?

Tim

1 hour ago, rovingrom said:

Tim, you are not by any chance the Tim whose e-mail address started with "timtsll2" and is (or was) owner of BrumTug DOVETAIL (73318) are you??

Sorry No

2 hours ago, Tim Lewis said:

My first ever boat holiday was on Britannic ?

Tim

Sorry No

Tim - I forgive you for not being the other Tim because you are a complete star for finding and posting those excerpts from the Brum Boats hire brochures from 1985 etc!!!! THANK YOU so much! :)

[Edit - Now I see it wasn't you who posted the brochures but RS2021.  I forgive you anyway, for anything for which you should be forgiven!]

Edited by rovingrom

3 hours ago, RS2021 said:

[Brum Boats and Hoseasons Hire brochures]

WOW - THANK YOU so much for posting those excerpts from the Brum Boats hire brochures from 1985 etc!!!!  :)

I do have a further request though and this relates to the confusion about BrumTug QUERCUS / QUERQUS.  Back in November 2019 Dave Moore wrote:
"I remember Quercus well, I wrote it around then. All of the notice boards at the yard had it spelt Querqus and that was how I laid it out. Director Alan Green dropped into the paint dock and queried my spelling, before I put paint on so disaster was avoided".

However the 3rd of your brochure photos shows a "QUERQUS".....  Could you enlarge the photo of "QUERQUS" (photo below) to see how the name is written on the cabin side?  Or just tell me how it's written if you can't enlarge it?

Querqus.jpg

Edited by rovingrom

3 hours ago, Rob-M said:

Hi Rob, Thanks for linking this discussion back to Dave Moore's November 2019 post!  Especially interesting in the light of RS2021's post above showing BB hire fleet listings in the 1988 Hoseasons (?) brochure, in which the boat name is quoted as "QUERQUS" with 2 Q's!!  I imagine the details had gone to print before Alan Green and Dave Moore corrected the sign writing on the boat itself.....

In case you hadn't guessed, I'm Colin from HWBG :)

5 hours ago, Captain Pegg said:

I’d already intended to do that having read your comments above. I’ll see what he knows but I have no doubt he was referring to a BrumTug, he described the interior without me prompting.

I can recall a BrumTug being sold from Chirk Marina c.2015 and also passing one moored somewhere near Stockton three or four years ago. I note that’s near you so maybe that was yours?

Thanks JP! Through Sunday afternoon and evening I received a lot of information about QUERCUS / QUERQUS as you will see above, and accept that the boat is/was definitely a BrumTug.  However we still don't have a BWB / CRT licence number for the boat and this would be very helpful even if expired.

You're right that I am not far from Stockton, however I don't have a BrumTug myself, just an endearment for them.  My boat is a 70ft Colecraft full trad (back cabin and mid-engine) - perhaps a bit like a BrumTug on steroids?? ;)

After 2 days of solid work I have succeeded in producing Version 1 of my BrumTug Register and Fleet List.  It is available for consultation in the Files Section of our Facebook "BrumTug" Group page at https://www.facebook.com/groups/2333300103642367

You do have to join the group to access the file.  I work in Open Office but have also saved the file in MS Excel.  I don't see a way to attach it in this Forum, but would be happy to e-mail it to anyone who is interested and who cannot (or does not wish to) access our Facebook page!

I would like to thank everyone who has posted information and commented on this subject over the last few days.  The list I have produced is for discussion and correction, for the benefit of BrumTug owners and anyone interested in them.  Please get in touch here or on the FB group.

[Photo of ESOX in case anyone has forgotten what a BrumTug looks like!]

ESOX horiz.jpg

Edited by rovingrom

5 hours ago, rovingrom said:

Hi Rob, Thanks for linking this discussion back to Dave Moore's November 2019 post!  Especially interesting in the light of RS2021's post above showing BB hire fleet listings in the 1988 Hoseasons (?) brochure, in which the boat name is quoted as "QUERQUS" with 2 Q's!!  I imagine the details had gone to print before Alan Green and Dave Moore corrected the sign writing on the boat itself.....

In case you hadn't guessed, I'm Colin from HWBG :)

I hadn't made the link to HWBG.

6 hours ago, rovingrom said:

I do have a further request though and this relates to the confusion about BrumTug QUERCUS / QUERQUS.

I had to reduce the quality of the picture to get it below the file size limit for the forum. However, the original is still not 100% clear. But... I've looked closely at it and a later picture in an Alvechurch brochure and there is very clearly a squiggle below the second Q  - something a C definitely does not have. So I'm 98% certain its 2Qs - QUERQUS.

For info the first of my pictures is from the Brum Boats 1995 'brochure' - really just a photo copy from Hoseasons plus a price list. I included it so you could see the Brum Tugs in the fleet at the time. The second picture is from Hoseasons 1996 brochure. I included this to show that one of the new extended Brum Tugs went all the way to Canada for the Expo show. Surely the narrowboat with the greatest mileage! I think the name of that boat was 'City of Birmingham'. The final picture is Hoseasons 1998 Brochure with Querqus.

Is there any chance you could put your complete list on here to see as I'm not on Facebook.

Edited by RS2021
Typos