Featured Posts

3 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

Really? Seems very unjust!

Yes it is unfair.  Unfortunately I upgraded mine to gold at the start of the year as we were planning to do Gt. Ouse and Thames.  Of course so far this year the boat has just sat in a marina, at additional cost (we were due to leave a winter mooring at the end of March).  At least I am still alive though!

2 hours ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Presumably the marina could make it a condition. CRT keep saying they have to be displayed even though they check by boat number. But not evety boat shows that either.

Compared to the number of decent boats and boaters though, how big a problem is it really? You get the odd tosser in all walks of life so we're bound to have a few.

Guess it depends upon which part of the network you frequent. 

2 hours ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Its already a requirement in ??? most marinas AND a condition of the mooring terms and conditions that a boat is licenced, insured and has a valid BSS. (In those marinas not exempted from boats needing a licence).

We have always had to provide evidence before we were allowed to take up our mooring and on renewal.

I fear you're missing the point. The requirement would be to have a valid licence in order to receive services.  In car terms I've read that since the abolution of tax discs the loss of revenue has exeeded the cost of providing a disc by a factor of 20. Some years ago in the Republic of Ireland you not only had to display a tax disc but also proof of insurance. Why don't CRT go the whole hog and require display of licence, insurance and BSS.? ?? 

1 minute ago, Slim said:

I fear you're missing the point. The requirement would be to have a valid licence in order to receive services.  In car terms I've read that since the abolution of tax discs the loss of revenue has exeeded the cost of providing a disc by a factor of 20. Some years ago in the Republic of Ireland you not only had to display a tax disc but also proof of insurance. Why don't CRT go the whole hog and require display of licence, insurance and BSS.? ?? 

No its a condition of being allowed to moor AND be able to access services.

I've not missed any point at all.

1 hour ago, Goliath said:

Must admit, I’m one of the can’t be arsed to display a license.
Haven’t got a printer

and lose them when sent 

and legal or not, I don’t think CRT are particularly arsed about it either 

Classic.

Haven’t got a printer

and lose them when sent 

I don't have a printer either but once a year can be "arsed" to find someone who has, print them off, put them up and get on with my boating.

• Greenie 2
  • Love 1

Just now, rgreg said:

I don't have a printer either but once a year can be "arsed" to find someone who has, print them off, put them up and get on with my boating.

Ok, 

cheers, I’ll send you a copy and you can print one off for me, if you can be arsed to find someone to do it. 

I really don’t see why it irks anyone that a license is not on display. 
I am licensed 

I am insured

I have   all the bla de bla

My index no. is on show for anyone to check if they are that way inclined. 

I tend to look at scenery when boating rather than checking licenses. 

I used to print them off and even laminate them but they’d slide down behind the porthole. And I was kind of glad, I only have small portholes and they block the light. 

10 minutes ago, Slim said:

Classic.

Is that good ?

I got a feeling you don’t approve. ☹️

• Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, Goliath said:

Ok, 

cheers, I’ll send you a copy and you can print one off for me, if you can be arsed to find someone to do it. 

I am licensed 

I am insured

I have   all the bla de bla

My index no. is on show for anyone to check if they are that way inclined. 

I tend to look at scenery when boating rather than checking licenses. 

I used to print them off and even laminate them but they’d slide down behind the porthole. And I was kind of glad, I only have small portholes and they block the light. 

But you'd lose it wouldn't you? I do it because CRT ask me to; when they don't I won't.  It's really not a big deal.

20 minutes ago, rgreg said:

We've had ours printed by the C&RT office in Newark 2018 & at a library in Ormskirk last year.

• Greenie 1

Just now, ditchcrawler said:

But I doubt free loaders would want to pay for a marina mooring

Probably true. But I was addressing the suggestion that marinas should enforce licence compliance.

23 minutes ago, Goliath said:

It doesn't irk me until the same people start yelping about T&Cs "CRT can't do that it is changing the law" as if they follow the law.

It seems to me a good number of boaters are hypocrites squealing about CRT "changing the law" when they don't like it but accept the same actions when they agree with things.

They need to make their minds up they shouldn't have it both ways (nearly said can't but clearly they are).

9 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:

That is not a rant, but a justified statement which more boaters should endorse.

If I have an unpleasant experience with a boater  who shows no name, number or licence I photograph the boat and report it to C&RT picture and location attached in the hope that there is still a staff member available to go out and find it.

More of us should do the same.

I understand where you're coming from here but normally most encounters are brief, sometimes people are just having a bad day and react badly, ok a stand up shouting match, physical abuse fair enough but not a minor exchange of robust opinions 

12 minutes ago, Jerra said:

It doesn't irk me until the same people start yelping about T&Cs "CRT can't do that it is changing the law" as if they follow the law.

It seems to me a good number of boaters are hypocrites squealing about CRT "changing the law" when they don't like it but accept the same actions when they agree with things.

They need to make their minds up they shouldn't have it both ways (nearly said can't but clearly they are).

Just normal human behaviour, like motorists who never keep to speed limits ranting about cyclists on the pavement!  Everyone tends to do what they consider good practice, no-one thinks about what's legal until the metaphorical baton clunks you on the side of the head. If they made hypocrisy illegal everyone would be in jail.

• Greenie 1

11 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Just normal human behaviour, like motorists who never keep to speed limits ranting about cyclists on the pavement!  Everyone tends to do what they consider good practice, no-one thinks about what's legal until the metaphorical baton clunks you on the side of the head. If they made hypocrisy illegal everyone would be in jail.

Hang on here, we’re on about a license displayed in the window. 
A piece of paper. 
Not a two ton machine racing down the highway splatting folk. 

Am I really much of a law breaker for not displaying a license? 
I should be commended for saving the planet

I’ve gone paperless

And the worlds more aesthetically pleasing for having less signage. 

• Greenie 1

Hang on here, we’re on about a license displayed in the window. 
A piece of paper. 
Not a two ton machine racing down the highway splatting folk. 

Am I really much of a law breaker for not displaying a license? 
I should be commended for saving the planet

I’ve gone paperless

And the worlds more aesthetically pleasing for having less signage. 

Whilst on your public confessional, are there any more legal obligations you wish to justify ignoring?

Edited by mark99

17 minutes ago, mark99 said:

Whilst on your public confessional, are there any more legal obligations you wish to justify ignoring?

No. That’s likely to be my only. 

I need to try harder. 

I can’t even say I’ve broken the lock up rules. 

I don’t even owe any library books 

nope, nowt else to confess

Edited by Goliath
Grammar

5 hours ago, Athy said:

I thought that they no longer did: I had to ask them specially to  post my licence discs/squares/whatever last year.

Late August/ early September?

I attended a meeting in 2015 where Richard Parry said that the paper licences would be obsolete within the next 12 months and nobody would have to display them any more.

4 hours ago, Goliath said:

Haven’t got a printer

and lose them when sent 

Strangely enough, neither can I, there is only one boat named as ours is, and we are quite distinctive!!

4 hours ago, Jerra said:

I thought there was a law which said licences must be displayed?   If this is correct surely CRT can't alter that.

EDIT  to add many complain loud and long when they think CRT are overriding the law but somehow never complain when this law is overridden.

Might have known you would come along citing law and order stuff.

20200613_223150.jpg

I really must get rid of that, didnt really realise that it was that bad, makes the boat look shabby if the JerraTowpathLicenceSpotters come around.

Edited by matty40s
  • Greenie 1

32 minutes ago, Goliath said:

No. That’s likely to be my only. 

I need to try harder. 

I can’t even say I’ve broken the lock up rules. 

I don’t even owe any library books 

nope, nowt else to confess

To my eternal shame, I have a Kingsley Amis book that is due back in Cardiff Library in November 1974. I daren't go back, the fine would bankrupt me. 

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, matty40s said:

I attended a meeting in 2015 where Richard Parry said that the paper licences would be obsolete within the next 12 months and nobody would have to display them any more.

20200613_223150.jpg

Thanks - so I did remember correctly. It looks as if the plan was announced, then rescinded.

20 hours ago, Athy said:

But it is impracticable because boats no longer need to display their licence "discs".

As far as I know when I renewed mine just a few weeks back it was stated display on BOTH sides. And today gone past 3 boats with no number name or license on Trent & Mersey. 

Liking the chat on this subject, and another thought came to mind make boat license part of marina mooring charges I know this makes them a tax collector but they do that for vat already so nothing new there then. just a thought.

regards to all