Featured Posts

6 hours ago, Oddjob said:

The CRT states "it's hard for us because if we take the boat away we then make them homeless which we can't do" I would like to put forward the idea that no marina or fuel boat can supply non license holders, if they do they catch a large fine. For marina owners if a boat is in their marina and it's not showing a license if they have a hard standing they MUST take the boat out of the water and put in their yard, if they don't have a hard standing the boat is padlocked to the jetty and can not be moved for ANY reason fuel, pump out nothing until a license is displayed, again large fine for non compliance.

Everyone seems to have overlooked this but I think that is brilliant!! Requiring the marina to do all that work for free might be a bit much, but they would think twice before allowing someone in.

6 minutes ago, Kudzucraft said:

Everyone seems to have overlooked this but I think that is brilliant!! Requiring the marina to do all that work for free might be a bit much, but they would think twice before allowing someone in.

Its already a requirement in ??? most marinas AND a condition of the mooring terms and conditions that a boat is licenced, insured and has a valid BSS. (In those marinas not exempted from boats needing a licence).

We have always had to provide evidence before we were allowed to take up our mooring and on renewal.

Edited by The Happy Nomad

43 minutes ago, Kudzucraft said:

But it is impracticable because boats no longer need to display their licence "discs".

1 minute ago, Athy said:

But it is impracticable because boats no longer need to display their licence "discs".

Presumably the marina could make it a condition. CRT keep saying they have to be displayed even though they check by boat number. But not evety boat shows that either.

Compared to the number of decent boats and boaters though, how big a problem is it really? You get the odd tosser in all walks of life so we're bound to have a few.

2 hours ago, Athy said:

Tee-hee.

No, it was a share boat, though the steerer was probably from an adjacent part of the country.

I wonder if it was the same share boat we followed over the Oxford summit last year?

Couldn't be bothered to tell boats passing in the other direction that there was another boat, us, not far behind.

5 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

CRT keep saying they have to be displayed

I thought that they no longer did: I had to ask them specially to  post my licence discs/squares/whatever last year.

1 minute ago, Victor Vectis said:

I wonder if it was the same share boat we followed over the Oxford summit last year?

Couldn't be bothered to tell boats passing in the other direction that there was another boat, us, not far behind.

Late August/ early September?

7 minutes ago, Athy said:

I thought that they no longer did: I had to ask them specially to  post my licence discs/squares/whatever last year.

Late August/ early September?

I think you are expected to print them off now, but if you cannot you have to ask for them to be posted if for any reason you cannot.

I believe they also still expect them to be displayed.

From the CRT website.

I’ve lost my licence discs, what should I do?

Although we can tell from the boat index number whether a boat is licenced, it’s still a legal requirement to display them along with your boat name and index number. If you bought your licence online, you can log into your account and print another set. If your index plates are temporarily obscured for any reason (eg. under covers during winter) you can also print temporary plates to display.

Edited by The Happy Nomad

20 minutes ago, Athy said:

Legislation does require that boats, must have their name, number and license, displayed.

C&RT did try to do away with paper licences, but fell foul of the legislation, and had to bactrack.

Bod

• Greenie 1

21 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Compared to the number of decent boats and boaters though, how big a problem is it really? You get the odd tosser in all walks of life so we're bound to have a few.

There are a few posting on here ;)

25 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

I think you are expected to print them off now, but if you cannot you have to ask for them to be posted if for any reason you cannot.

I believe they also still expect them to be displayed.

From the CRT website.

I’ve lost my licence discs, what should I do?

Although we can tell from the boat index number whether a boat is licenced, it’s still a legal requirement to display them along with your boat name and index number. If you bought your licence online, you can log into your account and print another set. If your index plates are temporarily obscured for any reason (eg. under covers during winter) you can also print temporary plates to display.

Thanks. Interesting that CART call them "discs" even though they are square. I blame the maths teachers.

I renew our licence by post, hence I expect to receive the squares in the same way. I've done so since we first licensed a boat (1998 I think).

Edited by Athy

10 minutes ago, Goliath said:

Must admit, I’m one of the can’t be arsed to display a license.
Haven’t got a printer

and lose them when sent 

and legal or not, I don’t think CRT are particularly arsed about it either 

Given the DVLA managed to switch to a system that scrapped paper licences for millions of vehicles it shouldnt be beyond the wit of man for CRT to do so.

I think the reality is they couldnt really care less, as long of course there is an index number on display for them to check.

They use photo recognition.

I know because our covers hide the modern number thing we painted on.

I asked if it was an issue once and the licence checker said no.

We have those tin plate things they give you, and I think the British waterways staff   threw them under the engine  bilge back when it was a Company boat.

1 hour ago, Athy said:

I thought there was a law which said licences must be displayed?   If this is correct surely CRT can't alter that.

EDIT  to add many complain loud and long when they think CRT are overriding the law but somehow never complain when this law is overridden.

Edited by Jerra

3 minutes ago, Jerra said:

I thought there was a law which said licences must be displayed?   If this is correct surely CRT can't alter that.

Marking of vessels
5. (1) Every vessel on any canal shall have exhibited on the outside
thereof so as to be clearly legible at all times at a distance of
twenty yards
(i) her name and such index mark and number (if any) as the
Board shall have assigned to the vessel
(ii) her port of registration or the name of her owner, and
(iii) (after such plates, marks, or other indications as are
mentioned in paragraph (2) of this Bye-law shall have been
shown on the vessel in accordance with the said paragraph) the
said plates, marks or other indications.
(2) The owner of every vessel on any canal shall on receipt of
reasonable notice in writing in that behalf from an authorised
officer take such vessel unladen to such place on the canal as
shall be indicated in the notice and there permit such vessel to be
measured weighed or otherwise examined and to be affixed,
inscribed or otherwise shown thereto or thereon such gauge
plates, draught marks or other indications (whether newly or by
way of substitution for existing indications) as the Board shall
require for ascertainment of the weight of cargo from time to time
carried by the vessel.
(3) The requirements of paragraph (1) (ii) and (iii) and (2) of this
Bye-law shall not apply to pleasure boats or any vessel of the
Board.

6 minutes ago, Jerra said:

There a hell of a lot of laws on the statute books that aren't enforced for on reason or another. This is just another one that is no longer relevant but not worth parliamentary time to change. 

1 minute ago, Arthur Marshall said:

There a hell of a lot of laws on the statute books that aren't enforced for on reason or another. This is just another one that is no longer relevant but not worth parliamentary time to change. 

I still find the hypocrisy of boaters, who squeal blue murder at CRT in (their view) trying to change the law, but accept them making changes when they agree with the change, more than a little strange.

• Greenie 2

10 minutes ago, Jerra said:

EDIT  to add many complain loud and long when they think CRT are overriding the law but somehow never complain when this law is overridden.

Yes it is in one of that waterways acts that the licence must be displayed, so unless CRT want to push another act through then it is a legal requirement, CRT do not have the power to say that they don't need to be displayed, even though they just use the index number.  But everyone knows that, just some want to think differently.  Can't see the big deal personally.  Some of the manned locks do check the actual licence though, so I don't know how you get on there if you don't bother, I guess you just show them it on your phone.

5 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

My license on display is out of date. We all got a months extension. I’ve bought my new one but I don’t have a printer. Will print off a copy when I’m next in town with access to a shop with printer. 

Not everyone did, you got nothing if you have a gold licence.