Featured Posts

Just because a boat isnt displaying a licence does not mean its not licensed.

Just so you know,

Good rant though, worthy of 9/10 I would say.

Edited by The Happy Nomad

13 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Just because a boat isnt displaying a licence does not mean its not licensed.

With no name and no number how can you tell that it has a licence?  ;)

• Greenie 1

If one judges a boat by its appearance, one is on dangerous ground.

By far the rudest person we met on the waterways last year was the one who came hurling round the bend near the winding hole below Napton locks, speeding past a line of moored boats. He had to put the boat hard into reverse to avoid crashing into the back of our boat (we were about to moor up at the time) and yelled at me and swore at Mrs. Athy. His boat was clearly marked with a name and registration number. You find good people on bedraggled-looking boats and wallies on smart ones.

21 minutes ago, Loddon said:

With no name and no number how can you tell that it has a licence?  ;)

You can't. I was just making the general point about displaying licences. 

" Again so many showing no license"

That is not a rant, but a justified statement which more boaters should endorse.

If I have an unpleasant experience with a boater  who shows no name, number or licence I photograph the boat and report it to C&RT picture and location attached in the hope that there is still a staff member available to go out and find it.

More of us should do the same.

7 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

That is not a rant, but a justified statement which more boaters should endorse.

If I have an unpleasant experience with a boater  who shows no name, number or licence I photograph the boat and report it to C&RT picture and location attached in the hope that there is still a staff member available to go out and find it.

More of us should do the same.

And if you have an unpleasant experience with somebody on a shiny boat?

Personally I've had more of them than with anybody on a boat with faded paint and a bit of stuff on the roof.

1 minute ago, The Happy Nomad said:

And if you have an unpleasant experience with somebody on a shiny boat?

Personally I've had more of them than anybody on a boat with faded paint and a bit of stuff on the roof.

You are misquoting me.

I made no reference to a boat being shiny or otherwise, the criteria is whether the boat can be identified, not the boat condition nor the race, colour or creed of the steerer.

The manners of the steerer may significantly influence my actions however.

Oh and for the record if anybody marched up to me saying 'They weren't here to clear up after me' because I'd left a paddle up I think I probably would have reacted in exactly the same way.

3 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

You are misquoting me.

I made no reference to a boat being shiny or otherwise, the criteria is whether the boat can be identified, not the boat condition nor the race, colour or creed of the steerer.

The manners of the steerer may significantly influence my actions however.

OK then. What if the boat can't be identified but they are nice to you?

Surely the point is the lack of boat identification not the manner of the boater?

15 minutes ago, Athy said:

I am not sure I recognise that term.

Really? Most of us do.

Crap on the towpath,  hanging in the hedge, oily scum in the water, rusty motorbike,  half rabid dog on a blue rope,  and the latest one- some sort of home made tarpaulin shelter with ropes stretched to the nearest trees at head height. 

• Unimpressed 1

32 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Oh and for the record if anybody marched up to me saying 'They weren't here to clear up after me' because I'd left a paddle up I think I probably would have reacted in exactly the same way.

OK then. What if the boat can't be identified but they are nice to you?

Surely the point is the lack of boat identification not the manner of the boater?

I have to repeat,,,,,,,,,,,,,The manners of the steerer may significantly influence my actions however.

8 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

I have to repeat,,,,,,,,,,,,,The manners of the steerer may significantly influence my actions however.

Great. Just as long as you aren't being discriminatory.

?

4 hours ago, Athy said:

If one judges a boat by its appearance, one is on dangerous ground.

By far the rudest person we met on the waterways last year was the one who came hurling round the bend near the winding hole below Napton locks, speeding past a line of moored boats. He had to put the boat hard into reverse to avoid crashing into the back of our boat (we were about to moor up at the time) and yelled at me and swore at Mrs. Athy. His boat was clearly marked with a name and registration number. You find good people on bedraggled-looking boats and wallies on smart ones.

Wasn't steered by a certain ex-journalist who found fame and notoriety on social media was it?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, cuthound said:

Wasn't steered by a certain ex-journalist who found fame and notoriety on social media was it?

Tee-hee.

No, it was a share boat, though the steerer was probably from an adjacent part of the country.

4 hours ago, noddyboater said:

Really? Most of us do.

Crap on the towpath,  hanging in the hedge, oily scum in the water, rusty motorbike,  half rabid dog on a blue rope,  and the latest one- some sort of home made tarpaulin shelter with ropes stretched to the nearest trees at head height. 

Have you perhaps considered that it is YOUR attitude and demeanor that causes the problem?