Chesterfield Canal an Eyesore

Alan de Enfield

Featured Posts

Tony McManus was left horrified after seeing piles of litter dumped in the water of the canal near Packet House Bridge yesterday, Wednesday, June 10.

The doting dad, who works as a teacher, says the situation is exactly the same at the next bridge along at Carolgate.

And he is now calling on the authorities to come down hard on those responsible.

Rod Auton, of the Chesterfield Canal Trust, says coronavirus has affected its ability to keep on top of keeping the canal clean.

And with lockdown still in place, he isn’t sure when the problem can be addressed.

He said: “The Canal is owned by the Canal & River Trust. Like many organisations, they are pretty stretched at present with some of their staff furloughed.

“Volunteers from the Chesterfield Canal Trust usually do several clean ups each year using our tripboat Seth Ellis and our old working boat Python.

“In fact, Python was moored at Retford doing a clean-up when the lockdown came and it had to be moved away.

“We are only now restarting some activities, but social distancing rules make it difficult.

https://www.lincolnshirelive.co.uk/news/local-news/fury-litter-retford-chesterfield-canal-4216378

Litter can be seen dumped in Chesterfield Canal near Packet House Bridge in Retford

Surely the lock-down should have prevented people from travelling to the canal to dump bags of rubbish in it.

I wonder what his being a "doting dad"  has got to do with the story.

2 hours ago, Athy said:

I wonder what his being a "doting dad"  has got to do with the story.

Almost as much as pouting, gorgeous, mother of three < insert name of choice > who appears regularly in the red tops.

Edited by Victor Vectis
Oops, spelin.

1 hour ago, matty40s said:

Looks like the Walsall to me.

Or the canal through Rochdale immediately after a clean up. Some of the locals still seem to think it is the municipal tip. Had other locals apologising to us for the state of the canal as we went through (very slowly, with frequent visits to the weed hatch!).

2 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

It's not been the same since the martinet (martinette? ;)) who used to run Python stopped ...

Whip the scurvy dogs until they litter pick again, eh @cheshire~rose:D

Well, either that or they are not allowed to be gathered on Python or officially volunteering at the moment.

I hear she is off galivanting on another boat, fickle lady that she is

A de E missed the later bit of the article:

In the meantime, he (Rod Auton, of the Chesterfield Canal Trust)

suggested the people of Retford team together to keep the waterways clean.

“I would be very interested to hear what the local resident thinks about cleaning it up and stopping it,” he said.

“With the lockdown and lack of tourism recently, it must be local residents who are dumping the rubbish.”

“Maybe some local residents could organise a clean-up," he added.

Mr McManus disagrees and thinks the mess has been built up over months and years, and also feels it could be too “dangerous” for residents to clear up.

So that's alright then. Mr McManus doesn't think it's locals littering and he thinks somebody else should deal with it!

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, David Mack said:

A de E missed the later bit of the article:

That's why I posted the link.

I see nothing worse that when 'just a link' is posted without any idea of its relevance.

I could have just cut and pasted the whole article, but decided to give a 'taster' and, if it was of sufficient interest, the reader could open the link and read it.

• Greenie 2

12 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I see nothing worse that when 'just a link' is posted without any idea of its relevance.

Hear hear.

Though this may not be the poster's intention, ,it can come across as lazy and rude.

59 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

That's why I posted the link.

I could have just cut and pasted the whole article, but decided to give a 'taster' and, if it was of sufficient interest, the reader could open the link and read it.

No offence intended. 

I just thought it interesting to point out to those who didn't click on the link, that the chap featured is quick to complain, but unwilling to help the community deal with the problem.

• Happy 1

39 minutes ago, David Mack said:

No offence intended. 

I just thought it interesting to point out to those who didn't click on the link, that the chap featured is quick to complain, but unwilling to help the community deal with the problem.

But you didn't do that. Posting "Just a link" means posting one of those lines of blue writing which is underlined, with no explanation. That's absolutely not what you did - your post was fine.

Did a spot of Kayak cleaning up after the good folk of Retford this evening,  every little helps..

Mostly crisp packets left by the little darlings fishing/smoking weed upstream at Whitsunday lock. It would be good to think they'll grow out of it and learn to appreciate their surroundings but unfortunately as the saying goes, you can't educate pork. Or shit.

The crap was caught in huge blooms of gently fizzing blanket weed, even the kayak was a struggle! 

20200614_212954.jpg

• Greenie 4

There's little hope for the next generation with parents that couldn't care less. I was brought up not to leave litter, from an early age. We regularly get a family groups fishing who leave all sorts of crap on the bank from lager cans to disposable bbq's and of course numerous fag packets. If you're really lucky they'll have had a dog there all day too.. 

The kids see the mess left behind when they leave so it's hardly a good example.

Teenagers just don't seem to care, when walking the Brampton Valley Way I passed a couple of young cyclists who where sat on one of the many benches, drinking Bud, later when I came back and passed the now empty seat there was a pile of empty Bud bottles tossed under the bench, they are still there weeks later.