Jump to content

Featured Posts

27 minutes ago, Mad Harold said:

Is your boat narrow beam (6-10).If it is a Freeman,they made very few narrow beams.The usual Freemans were 7-6.

This may limit you to wider canals.

As for spares,tools,spark plug,spare throttle cable,gears are usually a pole sticking up through the floor.

The narrow beam Freemans had a weed hatch,if yours hasn't,then I don't know how you would clear the prop.

Wet suit and snorkel??

Saw it on ebay. The boat has only just sold and is a narrowbeam. Looks tidy and much play made in advert on reliability of engine and new ropecutter. Certainly not a project boat. My only worry would be the inexperience of the OP and state of the network at the moment. If this move is to take place during work leave and essential to get to Macc within the two weeks then a man and trailer on a slipway (there are a couple above Bosley) may be less hassle and remove the worries of breakdown or other. At 150 miles and 68 locks, any breakdown or stoppages could make the timescale tight or near impossible. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mad Harold said:

Is your boat narrow beam (6-10).If it is a Freeman,they made very few narrow beams.The usual Freemans were 7-6.

This may limit you to wider canals.

As for spares,tools,spark plug,spare throttle cable,gears are usually a pole sticking up through the floor.

The narrow beam Freemans had a weed hatch,if yours hasn't,then I don't know how you would clear the prop.

Wet suit and snorkel??

Yes.

12 hours ago, LadyG said:

 

Delrosa Built by John Freeman in 1961 - Length : 6.7 metres ( 22 feet ) - Beam : 2.08 metres ( 6 feet 10 inches )
Powered by an Inboard Petrol engine with a power of 10 HP. Registered with Canal & River Trust number 12992 as a Powered Motor Boat.  ( Last updated on Wednesday 22nd May 2013 )

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Especially since you can't go up the Bosley lock flight between Congleton and Macc at the moment anyway. Closed due to lack of water. A small boat like this won't need a big lorry, or crane and will be easier and cheaper to lift and transport than many boats. No idea where, but it may be possible to get the boat dropped in on the upper level of the Macc, near to Macclesfield. No idea on suitable lift out/drop in points, or haulage contractors. Others can recommend if you are interested in this approach.

Doing the trip by boat will be a good adventure and will probably go fine, but a lift out and road transport will be quicker and not such a steep boating learning curve.

 

Jen

I've taken two weeks' annual leave so am all psyched to do it now. I think two weeks is enough and I will have enough time to take my time, stop and watch other boats if I'm unsure how to handle an obstacle or don't understand what the signs are telling me, etc. I think I will subscribe to the rescue service before setting off. Will be good to have for the first year at least, if I get through that far. Thanks for all the advice so far, exactly what I'm looking for.

Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Neil McFarlane said:

I've taken two weeks' annual leave so am all psyched to do it now. I think two weeks is enough and I will have enough time to take my time, stop and watch other boats if I'm unsure how to handle an obstacle or don't understand what the signs are telling me, etc. I think I will subscribe to the rescue service before setting off. Will be good to have for the first year at least, if I get through that far. Thanks for all the advice so far, exactly what I'm looking for.

Something that will be worth watching/reading. Boaters Handbook, if you've not seen it before. You'll be fine. Got the right attitude. Let us all know how it goes.

 

Jen

  • Happy 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 weeks later...
On 12/06/2020 at 21:11, Neil McFarlane said:

Is that because I'd want to time the tides and it could get complicated or because it can be a struggle to control in the strong currents?

 

On 13/06/2020 at 08:53, Mad Harold said:

Is your boat narrow beam (6-10).If it is a Freeman,they made very few narrow beams.The usual Freemans were 7-6.

This may limit you to wider canals.

As for spares,tools,spark plug,spare throttle cable,gears are usually a pole sticking up through the floor.

The narrow beam Freemans had a weed hatch,if yours hasn't,then I don't know how you would clear the prop.

Wet suit and snorkel??

I wish I'd paid more attention to your post, Harold.  While the owner, the survey, the safety certificate, the online info, and decades of documents all stated it was narrow beam, I got stuck in a lock at Burton on Trent. It was indeed a wide beam.

 

Edited by Neil McFarlane
  • Horror 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Neil McFarlane said:

 

I wish I'd paid more attention to your post, Harold.  While the owner, the survey, the safety certificate, the online info, and decades of documents all stated it was narrow beam, I got stuck in a lock at Burton on Trent. It was indeed a wide beam.

 

 

 

The legal definition of narrowbeam / narrowboat is 7' 6" or less, so probably all the paperwork and the seller was correct.

 

From whom did you buy it ? (Private purchase or commercial trader) you could possibly argue it was not 'fit for purpose' but I don't think you'd get very far.

 

Unfortunately with buying a 2nd hand boat it is usually Caveat emptor.

 

On which canals are you (were you) planning to use it ?

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

 

 

The legal definition of narrowbeam / narrowboat is 7' 6" or less, so probably all the paperwork and the seller was correct.

 

From whom did you buy it ? (Private purchase or commercial trader) you could possibly argue it was not 'fit for purpose' but I don't think you'd get very far.

 

Unfortunately with buying a 2nd hand boat it is usually Caveat emptor.

 

On which canals are you (were you) planning to use it ?

No Alan, all the paperwork, surveys, safety certificates, etc. going back many years explicitly stated 6'10", whereas in fact it's 7'5".

Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Neil McFarlane said:

No Alan, all the paperwork, surveys, safety certificates, etc. going back many years explicitly stated 6'10", whereas in fact it's 7'5".

That is really a tough break - I really don't know what to say.

 

If the boat is not suitable for what you want then all you can try is contacting trading standards and explain that it was misrepresented  and that it is 'not usable'.

 

https://www.gov.uk/find-local-trading-standards-office

 

If you intend to use it on 'wide canals' then maybe all you can do is get it there on a truck and put the experience behind you.

 

Good luck.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/06/2020 at 21:05, Alan de Enfield said:

 

 

Post deleted as points all ready discussed.  
 

hope you can get the move sorted ok.    Would recommend a RYA Inland Helmsman course at some stage to give you some experience and pointers.  

Edited by Dharl
  • Greenie 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, max campbell said:

Get a rope on each end of the boat - long enough to reach up 10', around a bollard and back down to the cockpit.

 

If he is coming down using the Rivers he may well need a line considerably longer, I would recommend 50 foot, and 'tie' it onto the boat ensuring it cannot slip off the dolly when the pull is vertical.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The Macclesfield is listed as having a 7ft max beam for the locks.

Best option is road transport to a wide canal.

You have my sympathy if you really needed a 6'10" beam boat,it seems you have been misled with the paperwork.

You might try the vendor to see if you can get your money back,but they are not legally obliged to do so.

If a 6'10" boat is essential for your needs, then your only option is to sell and buy another.

If you have a Nicholson's guide,it gives the dimensions of the waterways.

To find the correct dimensions of any boat you are interested in, then try to google the manufacturers original brochure.Failing that take your tape to measure any potential purchase.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 09/07/2020 at 13:15, Neil McFarlane said:

 

I wish I'd paid more attention to your post, Harold.  While the owner, the survey, the safety certificate, the online info, and decades of documents all stated it was narrow beam, I got stuck in a lock at Burton on Trent. It was indeed a wide beam.

 

That's a horrendous situation to be in Neil. If the boat was sold as 6' 10" beam rather than narrow beam I would think you have a case under "fit for purpose" legislation. Hope it works out for you.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.