advice for newbie

Neil McFarlane

Featured Posts

Hi, I'm about to solo pilot a 22-foot GRP boat on a 2-week journey along the Trent and various canals. Never done anything more than row a boat before.

Could I have some tips for a total newbie to help me complete my journey without mishaps?

E.g. drive on the right. (That's about my level.)

Maybe you can remember when you were a newbie and think of things you wish people had told you then.

Thanks!

7 minutes ago, Neil McFarlane said:

Maybe you can remember when you were a newbie and think of things you wish people had told you then.

Have you got the correct windlass, keys etc for the locks ?

Have you got mooring pins, nappy pins and / or goat chains and plenty of ropes to tie up ?

Have you got spare parts for the engine, etc. Not may places to get parts if you break down.

Is it a petrol engine ? Plan your re-fueling stops, there are very few places that sell petrol on the river or canals. You will need cans and to walk to the nearest petrol station.

1 minute ago, Neil McFarlane said:

Actually I have a choice of tidal route or non-tidal route. Would the tidal route be very unwise for a total newbie?

Its not the greatest idea for a first trip.

• Greenie 1

Where exactly are you going from/to? As @mrsmelly says tidal isn't the best idea for a first trip.

Is that because I'd want to time the tides and it could get complicated or because it can be a struggle to control in the strong currents?

All that. Extra complication you don't need right now. Especially on a boat you don't know the reliability of. Engine failure on a tidal river can get pretty scary fast.

Jen

3 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Where exactly are you going from/to? As @mrsmelly says tidal isn't the best idea for a first trip.

All that. Extra complication you don't need right now. Especially on a boat you don't know the reliability of. Engine failure on a tidal river can get pretty scary fast.

Jen

Lincoln to Macclesfield, either clockwise or anti-clockwise around the Peak District.

Engine failure - hadn't even thought about that. Do river boats have anchors? What do you do in a strong current if the engine conks out.

11 minutes ago, Neil McFarlane said:

Lincoln to Macclesfield, either clockwise or anti-clockwise around the Peak District.

Engine failure - hadn't even thought about that. Do river boats have anchors? What do you do in a strong current if the engine conks out.

Clockwise for preference. Lincoln to Torksey on the Fossdyke. Torksey to Cromwell Lock on the tidal Trent. It is relatively tame this far up stream. Take advice from the lock keeper at Torksey on time to travel. Non tidal Trent from Cromwell to Nottingham. Canal through Nottingham. Non tidal Trent to Derwent Mouth. Trent and Mersey Canal to Stoke on Trent. Turn on to the Macclesfield canal to Macc the other side of Harecastle Tunnel.

Yes boats on rivers should have anchors. Stops you being swept away to your doom while you sort out the dead engine.

Not sure if it is possible to reach Macclesfield on the canal at the moment as there are restrictions. Do you have any guide books, or canal maps at all? Go to the Canal River Trust boaters guides. Download guides for the Fossdyke, River Trent, Trent & Mersey Canal and Macclesfield Canal. Will give current stoppages, phone numbers to book passage and so on.

Going anticlockwise means doing the more hard core bit of the tidal Trent, plus the cross Pennine routes are mostly closed, along with the Peak Forest canal.

I'm assuming you've worked out insurance, license etc. Some places will check you have a license and won't let you through without.

Good luck with the trip.

Jen

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies

4 minutes ago, mark99 said:

What is the boat called and where did you buy it from. Why are you moving it? Let's first see if you are real or this is a total wind up. 

Mark, I'm posting here for some advice. I have no idea why you replied in that way. Feel free to not reply if for some reason you think I'm "not real".

11 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Clockwise for preference. Lincoln to Torksey on the Fossdyke. Torksey to Cromwell Lock on the tidal Trent. It is relatively tame this far up stream. Take advice from the lock keeper at Torksey on time to travel. Non tidal Trent from Cromwell to Nottingham. Canal through Nottingham. Non tidal Trent to Derwent Mouth. Trent and Mersey Canal to Stoke on Trent. Turn on to the Macclesfield canal to Macc the other side of Harecastle Tunnel.

Yes boats on rivers should have anchors. Stops you being swept away to your doom while you sort out the dead engine.

Not sure if it is possible to reach Macclesfield on the canal at the moment as there are restrictions. Do you have any guide books, or canal maps at all? Go to the Canal River Trust boaters guides. Download guides for the Fossdyke, River Trent, Trent & Mersey Canal and Macclesfield Canal. Will give current stoppages, phone numbers to book passage and so on.

Going anticlockwise means doing the more hard core bit of the tidal Trent, plus the cross Pennine routes are mostly closed, along with the Peak Forest canal.

I'm assuming you've worked out insurance, license etc. Some places will check you have a license and won't let you through without.

Good luck with the trip.

Jen

Thanks Jen, I already have insurance and license sorted. Didn't know there were downloadable guides - thanks for that - really useful. With dropping an anchor, I assume it can be dangerous to do so in a strong current. (I just did a quick google search and found stories of it sinking a boat if you do it wrong : (

11 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Only way over the Pennines would be the Leeds and Liverpool when it opens in July with Calder and Hebble shut all year. Very long way around.

43 minutes ago, Neil McFarlane said:

Actually I have a choice of tidal route or non-tidal route. Would the tidal route be very unwise for a total newbie?

What spare engine parts would you recommend?

you could join RCR river and canal repair/rescuehttps://www.rivercanalrescue.co.uk/

https://www.rivercanalrescue.co.uk/

Delrosa Built by John Freeman in 1961 - Length : 6.7 metres ( 22 feet ) - Beam : 2.08 metres ( 6 feet 10 inches )
Powered by an Inboard Petrol engine with a power of 10 HP. Registered with Canal & River Trust number 12992 as a Powered Motor Boat.  ( Last updated on Wednesday 22nd May 2013 )

Edited by LadyG

When are you planning to do this trip? If the boat isn't your current home then, unless you name is really Dominic Cummings, current lock down rules say you can't stay on board overnight. If it isn't going to be for a while I'd suggest going for a pootle up and down the Fossdyke and River Witham to get a feel for the boat and enigine reliability.

3 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

When are you planning to do this trip? If the boat isn't your current home then, unless you name is really Dominic Cummings, current lock down rules say you can't stay on board overnight. If it isn't going to be for a while I'd suggest going for a pootle up and down the Fossdyke and River Witham to get a feel for the boat and enigine reliability.

In a couple of weeks the boat will become "my current home". I don't know the exact details of rules on boats re lockdown, but if I don't live on the boat soon, I won't be living anywhere else. Also I work in a hospital on covid wards, so maybe that will make a difference, I don't know. Otherwise, if I find I am breaking the rules, as long as the authorities treat me with the same unbending rigidity that they treated Cummings, then I won't have much to worry about!

• Greenie 1

In a couple of weeks the boat will become "my current home". I don't know the exact details of rules on boats re lockdown, but if I don't live on the boat soon, I won't be living anywhere else. Also I work in a hospital on covid wards, so maybe that will make a difference, I don't know. Otherwise, if I find I am breaking the rules, as long as the authorities treat me with the same unbending rigidity that they treated Cummings, then I won't have much to worry about!

Just tell 'em you're checking that you can clearly see the signs...

18 minutes ago, LadyG said:

you could join RCR river and canal repair/rescuehttps://www.rivercanalrescue.co.uk/

https://www.rivercanalrescue.co.uk/

Delrosa Built by John Freeman in 1961 - Length : 6.7 metres ( 22 feet ) - Beam : 2.08 metres ( 6 feet 10 inches )