Mooring etiquette

Clanky

Featured Posts

I’m booked into a dry dock for blacking and the wharf wants me there on the Sunday afternoon so first thing Monday morning they can get  me in. I know it’s quite busy where they are, so what’s the etiquette of mooring alongside another boat? Just ask? Are most boaters receptive to this happening for one night?

32 minutes ago, Nut said:

Why Just why

If I have CV19 and cough on my hand then touch the handrail of your boat as I cross to mine.

You come out touch the handrail and pick up the virus.

Rub your eyes cos they are itching

Then you have CV19

42 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Maybe not so keen at the moment, not sure if I would want strangers crossing my boat and touching the steel work

That is a very good point, if I have to moor alongside I’ll wear gloves as much for my protection as well as others.

Edited by Jinna

44 minutes ago, Jinna said:

That is a very good point, if I have to moor alongside I’ll wear gloves as much for my protection as well as others.

Gloves make it worse,unless you chuck them away immediately. You're better off just washing your hands a lot. But in this case, as it's a wharf, you're probably going to moor up next to an empty boat - I'd ring the wharf and ask for advice. They'll want to be safe, too.

1 hour ago, ditchcrawler said:

Maybe not so keen at the moment, not sure if I would want strangers crossing my boat and touching the steel work

Presumably you wont be using any locks, moveable bridges, water points etc?

After all they have been touched by other people.

47 minutes ago, Loddon said:

If I have CV19 and cough on my hand then touch the handrail of your boat as I cross to mine.

You come out touch the handrail and pick up the virus.

Rub your eyes cos they are itching

Then you have CV19

So the scare mongers would have you believe, the government boffins suggest you need to be close or in contact for 15 minutes. The truth is out there probably somewhere in between. 

5 minutes ago, Detling said:

So the scare mongers would have you believe, the government boffins suggest you need to be close or in contact for 15 minutes. The truth is out there probably somewhere in between. 

That's breathing, not touching an infected surface, and it's an average to reduce risk, not a guarantee you will be okay.

Contact spread can be from hours or days ago.  If you get active virus on your hands you can infect yourself immediately.

15 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

That's breathing, not touching an infected surface, and it's an average to reduce risk, not a guarantee you will be okay.

Contact spread can be from hours or days ago.  If you get active virus on your hands you can infect yourself immediately.

You can also reduce your risk of infection by washing your hands on a regular basis and after you have touched potentially infected areas or items.

We can't all live wrapped up in cotton wool in a protective bubble forever. But you can reduce your risk of contracting the virus by being sensible and using some common sense. 

• Greenie 2

Just now, Naughty Cal said:

You can also reduce your risk of infection by washing your hands on a regular basis and after you have touched potentially infected areas or items.

We can't all live wrapped up in cotton wool in a protective bubble forever. But you can reduce your risk of contracting the virus by being sensible and using some common sense. 

I agree, I was just trying squish the thought that you'd need to touch a surface for more than 15 minutes to transmit the virus, which you don't.

The hand washing is still the best thing you can do to reduce or prevent contact spread, and when we do Wigan flight on Sunday I'll be either washing or gelling my hands after each lock.  It's not just to protect me - I'm fairly sure I can't have been exposed - but just in case, because it helps protect others from me unknowingly leaving the virus on lock beams too.

• Greenie 1

48 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

Presumably you wont be using any locks, moveable bridges, water points etc?

After all they have been touched by other people.

Correct, I am not on my boat I am following the government's advice and staying at home, I have only been in one shop in the past three months

• Greenie 1

31 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

.... I have only been in one shop in the past three months

Me too

3 hours ago, Jinna said:

I’m booked into a dry dock for blacking and the wharf wants me there on the Sunday afternoon so first thing Monday morning they can get  me in. I know it’s quite busy where they are, so what’s the etiquette of mooring alongside another boat? Just ask? Are most boaters receptive to this happening for one night?

Don't be surprised if permission is declined on the basis of the occupants wanting to remain  isolated.  And do respect a refusal. Some people remain very frightened. 

Edited by MartynG