Lighting Top Trumps

The Gravy Boater

Featured Posts

41 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

What about mains sockets then eh!! Since I bought this boat I have taken 8 out and that has left us with 26 sockets throughout the boat down from the original 34 as fitted when new.

34? I doubt you'd have that many in a 4 bedroom house. Obviously someone had a fetish.

21 minutes ago, The Gravy Boater said:

34? I doubt you'd have that many in a 4 bedroom house. Obviously someone had a fetish.

The ones I took out where a cupboard was and I fitted a stove. Its great though to have plenty throughout the boat instead of the usual half a dozen if your lucky scenario.

On 11/06/2020 at 19:26, The Gravy Boater said:

Are we gonna count fridge lights... we can count fridge lights.

No, we shouldn't count them - because they're lazy, sneaky little monkeys.  They sit there shining away whilst you look for the butter, looking the very model of the lighting world, but the moment you shut the door, they can't be bothered anymore.  If you open the door, they quickly light up - you are almost certain that they've just done that to fool you, but it's so difficult to catch them in the act, so they know you can't prove they were slacking when your back was turned.  They're laughing at us when we're on the sofa or in our beds, that's what they're doing. 

Well, I've fixed mine, oh yes sir-ee Bob, have I fixed mine!  I now wedge the fridge door open! I leave the galley lights off too, so it's really obvious if it tries to shirk on me.  I've also rigged up a webcam so I can check on it when I'm not aboard.  To be fair, it's responded well and sits there happily glowing away, but it's not going to fool me easily this time, so if it thinks it can lull me into a false sense of security, it's got another think coming!!

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

No, we shouldn't count them - because they're lazy, sneaky little monkeys.  They sit there shining away whilst you look for the butter, looking the very model of the lighting world, but the moment you shut the door, they can't be bothered anymore.  If you open the door, they quickly light up - you are almost certain that they've just done that to fool you, but it's so difficult to catch them in the act, so they know you can't prove they were slacking when your back was turned.  They're laughing at us when we're on the sofa or in our beds, that's what they're doing. 

Well, I've fixed mine, oh yes sir-ee Bob, have I fixed mine!  I now wedge the fridge door open! I leave the galley lights off too, so it's really obvious if it tries to shirk on me.  I've also rigged up a webcam so I can check on it when I'm not aboard.  To be fair, it's responded well and sits there happily glowing away, but it's not going to fool me easily this time, so if it thinks it can lull me into a false sense of security, it's got another think coming!!

I've rigged my fridge light to be permanently on... how else is the internal security camera going to keep an eye on the camembert?  I can't risk that stuff making a break for it.

1 hour ago, The Gravy Boater said:

I've rigged my fridge light to be permanently on... how else is the internal security camera going to keep an eye on the camembert?  I can't risk that stuff making a break for it.

The cambembert is just going to say to the camera "You'll forget what you saw here if you know what's good for you." Only soft in texture. Well 'ard otherwise.

• Greenie 2

15 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

The cambembert is just going to say to the camera "You'll forget what you saw here if you know what's good for you." Only soft in texture. Well 'ard otherwise.

Surely you mean "Vous oublierez ce que vous avez vu ici si vous savez ce qui est bon pour vous".

• 1 month later...

All these lighting options!

I  need to replace the switches, they are currently '......' unmatched pairs, one for 240 and one for 12 volt, I assume any domestic double switch can be used instead, vertical wood trim will be interupted by the switches, I will use chrome, I am open to other ideas.........

1 hour ago, LadyG said:

All these lighting options!

I  need to replace the switches, they are currently '......' unmatched pairs, one for 240 and one for 12 volt, I assume any domestic double switch can be used instead, vertical wood trim will be interupted by the switches, I will use chrome, I am open to other ideas.........

It is not best practice to use 230v switches for 12v DC as it will burn out the contacts. Many people do use them and replace then as necessary, but to repeat, "best use the proper ones designed for the job".

10 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

It is not best practice to use 230v switches for 12v DC as it will burn out the contacts. Many people do use them and replace then as necessary, but to repeat, "best use the proper ones designed for the job".

Theoretically yes. 240V AC switches aren't designed to switch low voltage DC and a long electrical arc on breaking the circuit will over time erode away the contacts. However, if you have all 12V DC LED lights, this shouldn't be a problem. I've had LED's on my boat for thirteen years now, since it was fitted out and none of the mains style light switches have failed yet. With halogen lights and the much higher currents flowing and being broken this will be more likely to be a problem.

For higher current DC switching, I've used a mains pattress with a chrome blanking plate, then drilled a hole in it for a proper high current DC toggle switch. Used to disconnect the solar panel input to the solar controller on my boat and done for a couple of friends boats and camper vans too. Looks neat.

Photo below. My boats solar input DC switch and below it, a normal switch to turn off the shore power. The written on insulating tape isn't so neat!

Jen

IMG_20200724_083607.jpg.375f076b76760f9007a345f5e6e05f0a.jpg

On 13/06/2020 at 16:21, mrsmelly said:

What about mains sockets then eh!! Since I bought this boat I have taken 8 out and that has left us with 26 sockets throughout the boat down from the original 34 as fitted when new.

Hotel boat?

TD'

50 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Hotel boat?

TD'

No. Purpose built liveaboard by someone who knew what he was doing for a change rather than people who live in houses that build so called liveaboard boats but realy Havnt much idea. He owned a boatyard and hire fleet for many years so the boat has some good ideas built in ?