Government realises boats exist!

frangar

Featured Posts

I got an impression from the Welsh government they are going to allow static caravans and holiday cottages first thus boats campervan and towed caravans may still be not allowed. As said earlier, most canals are in or near the cities they caused to expand, cities have big hospitals to deal with large populations, another no sense applied idea, but with D C steering common sense is in short supply.

12 minutes ago, Detling said:

I got an impression from the Welsh government they are going to allow static caravans and holiday cottages first thus boats campervan and towed caravans may still be not allowed. As said earlier, most canals are in or near the cities they caused to expand, cities have big hospitals to deal with large populations, another no sense applied idea, but with D C steering common sense is in short supply.

I believe (from talking with our Welsh marina) that it will only be static caravans and properties that will be opening - those FULLY independent and self contained. Touring caravans (and boats) which need to use communal toilet facilities (for emptying cassettes or pumping out) are unlikely to be included in the next swathe of lifted restrictions.

41 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I believe (from talking with our Welsh marina) that it will only be static caravans and properties that will be opening - those FULLY independent and self contained. Touring caravans (and boats) which need to use communal toilet facilities (for emptying cassettes or pumping out) are unlikely to be included in the next swathe of lifted restrictions.

All the extra restrictions don’t seem to be reducing numbers in Wales tho...so kind of pointless really. 

3 minutes ago, frangar said:

All the extra restrictions don’t seem to be reducing numbers in Wales tho...so kind of pointless really. 

Or looking at it another (more realistic ?) way - how much worse would it be without the restrictions ?

Edited by Alan de Enfield
  • Greenie 1

Are they still pretending there are any rules, or any people are following? Last weekend a kid died near here at a rave with thousands. Bus was stopped letting a guy on as walked past yesterday. Two people out of about 20 on it with masks, rush hour out of Manchester. 

Pubs and restaurants in our area gearing up for an early July opening for outside seating. Advertising on Facebook they are taking bookings one has had a brand new deck built to the rear to accommodate outside seating.

eg  

The vault.JPG

14 hours ago, The Happy Nomad said:

The manager of our local chain pub was out powerwashing the outside seating area this afternoon.

Hopefully a positive indication.

I think its pretty clear industry bodies like those that represent pubs, retail, camping, etc etc. get briefed about opening dates and then somebody remembers to let Boris know so he can 'announce' it.

If they dont brief the breweries there wont be any beer when they do open

6 hours ago, WotEver said:

I can see their point, and especially places with large premises and or beer gardens the risk might be manageable. Although at the moment, especially as we are in the northwest, I remain cautious and very aware the levels are still reasonably high, as is the chance of a second wave, without a longer wait and a good track and trace capability. 

Daniel

2 minutes ago, DHutch said:

I can see their point, and especially places with large premises and or beer gardens the risk might be manageable. Although at the moment, especially as we are in the northwest, I remain cautious and very aware the levels are still reasonably high, as is the chance of a second wave, without a longer wait and a good track and trace capability. 

Daniel

Trouble is the risk will still be there, there are hundreds who have it, maybe thousands, there were only ten when it all kicked off

17 minutes ago, DHutch said:

Daniel

due to the high water?

48 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Yesterday in East Cheshire there were four new infections recorded, and it's pretty unlikely I'm going to run into one of them. Especially on a boat.

As a matter of interest, where are you getting the number from? I've identified that only 4 people from our postcode have died with/of Covid 19, so our chances of dying from it seem slim. However, I haven't found a site which gives local daily infections and deaths.

Along the same lines, there are a number of figures being bandied about regarding the total number actually infected at any one time, (i.e. Now), and it seems to vary anecdotally from around 1 in 1500 to 1 in 6,000. Whichever is the case, in order to become infected you actually have to find the one person in 1500/6000 that is infected right now, then you have to be in their presence in such a way that you get a large enough dose to become infected. So, whilst between 100 and 200 people are still dying daily, it seems a pretty tall order, (not impossible), to actually become infected, never mind die.

17,000 people dying of flu, each year, (on average), since 2014, translates to 46 per day. Thus, when C19 deaths fall to "only" 50 a day, the risks will have fallen to those of flu - risks we have all been prepared to take without restriction or fear.

Edited by Richard10002

Get the figures from the government via the bbc news website. It gives you daily figures by county, I've been keeping a note of them.  You can get them by postcode too elsewhere. How accurate the figures are is anyone guess, and they are only positive tests, so there may be other untested infections around too.

16 hours ago, The Happy Nomad said:

I think its pretty clear industry bodies like those that represent pubs, retail, camping, etc etc. get briefed about opening dates and then somebody remembers to let Boris know so he can 'announce' it.

That's the plan. Sometimes he announces stuff without being told and then everyone has to pretend that he was meant to say it. (world beating track and trace, anyone)?

12 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Get the figures from the government via the bbc news website. It gives you daily figures by county, I've been keeping a note of them.  You can get them by postcode too elsewhere. How accurate the figures are is anyone guess, and they are only positive tests, so there may be other untested infections around too.

Axiomatically no-one knows how many cases there are as not everyone is tested (even assuming the test has no false negatives). However, the sampling programme that has been underway for a few weeks (but started well after the peak) will give a good measure - better accuracy than opinion polls I guess.

But then politicians don't like scientists, believing that their only useful role is as someone to blame when it all goes wrong. Cassandras are no longer allowed to appear at briefings.

Not just politicians - I've had bosses that say, "Don't bother me with facts, just give me the answer I already want to hear."

41 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

Axiomatically no-one knows how many cases there are as not everyone is tested (even assuming the test has no false negatives). However, the sampling programme that has been underway for a few weeks (but started well after the peak) will give a good measure - better accuracy than opinion polls I guess.

Using a countrywide sample of just under 4 million this is about as accurate as you will get.

https://assets-global.website-files.com/5e3d471e8cf4751833faf0f9/5eec67f641925612afb0f88a_covid_symptom_study_report_new.pdf

Sorry its a PDF but it does have some interesting data.

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, Richard10002 said:

So, whilst between 100 and 200 people are still dying daily, it seems a pretty tall order, (not impossible), to actually become infected, never mind die.

If it is so difficult to catch the virus how is it that we have been getting 1200 -1300 new cases for 10 days or so.   Those new case will also not be all cases they will only IIRC hospital admissions.

3 hours ago, Richard10002 said:

As a matter of interest, where are you getting the number from? I've identified that only 4 people from our postcode have died with/of Covid 19, so our chances of dying from it seem slim. However, I haven't found a site which gives local daily infections and deaths.

Along the same lines, there are a number of figures being bandied about regarding the total number actually infected at any one time, (i.e. Now), and it seems to vary anecdotally from around 1 in 1500 to 1 in 6,000. Whichever is the case, in order to become infected you actually have to find the one person in 1500/6000 that is infected right now, then you have to be in their presence in such a way that you get a large enough dose to become infected. So, whilst between 100 and 200 people are still dying daily, it seems a pretty tall order, (not impossible), to actually become infected, never mind die.

17,000 people dying of flu, each year, (on average), since 2014, translates to 46 per day. Thus, when C19 deaths fall to "only" 50 a day, the risks will have fallen to those of flu - risks we have all been prepared to take without restriction or fear.

That would worry me there are 5 people living in our postcode

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jerra said:

If it is so difficult to catch the virus how is it that we have been getting 1200 -1300 new cases for 10 days or so.   Those new case will also not be all cases they will only IIRC hospital admissions.

1200 a day over the entire country isn't really that bad. I think the case numbers now include all cases, not just the hospital ones, but I may be wrong. It's only the hospital admissions that really matter anyway, as everyone else get better without too much trouble. The infection numbers will still be concentrated in certain areas where people live close together.

2 hours ago, Loddon said:

Using a countrywide sample of just under 4 million this is about as accurate as you will get.

https://assets-global.website-files.com/5e3d471e8cf4751833faf0f9/5eec67f641925612afb0f88a_covid_symptom_study_report_new.pdf

Sorry its a PDF but it does have some interesting data.

Is this the symptom self-reporting app that was being talked about on the Today programme? It's probably useful but as a hay fever sufferer I would be reporting some of those symptoms most days from April to September.

Just now, Arthur Marshall said:

Even the postcode figures aren't really just the postcode. It's still a larger area surrounding it.

MSOA? That's quite a large number. I think about 12000 though I might be wrong. My village (7500) is aggregated with some others. There were 6 deaths between March and May if we're looking at the same interactive map from ONS.

8 minutes ago, George and Dragon said:

Is this the symptom self-reporting app that was being talked about on the Today programme? It's probably useful but as a hay fever sufferer I would be reporting some of those symptoms most days from April to September.

Yes

I to suffer from hay fever and a persistent cough  that I have had for 2 years, it asks if you feel normal  or similar so I answer yes, if there was a change I would answer no.