Adding a second calorifier?

Featured Posts

Good Afternoon!

I am trying to make a decision regarding my hot water requirements. I'm installing a (nearly) full sized bath so I'll need more hot water than the original 1989 55L calorifier can provide. 

Do I;

a) Purchase a surecal 75L and get rid of the original calorifier (and hope this is enough capacity)

or

b) Purchase a surecal 55L and link to my original = 110L

Will mostly have a landline connection so can use the immersion or it'll be hooked up to the Webasto.

Thoughts? How easy is it to link the two? 

Much appreciated!

Edited by ASupertramp

I had a second small calorifier fitted for a while, but for different reasons. The main one was heated by stove back boiler and by solar thermal panel, using two coils and is a third of the way down the cabin, near the stove to get the gravity circulation to work. I did have a single coil 30l one at the rear of the cabin, fed from the engine.

It worked fine. I had an isolation valve and a one way check valve on the cold input of each. The isolation valve was used to select which one to draw hot water from. Having both on at once means that you could easily be drawing from the cold one, or empty all the hot from one and draw cold, without touching the hot available in the other. Both with mixer valves. A single expansion tank for the entire hot water system. Hardly used the second engine fed cauliflower, so it went to get the space back.

Jen

How big is the cold water tank?

Needs to be at least twice the size of the proposed hot water system.

How often do you expect to have a bath, and how often do you fill up with water now?

Bod.

19 hours ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

I had a second small calorifier fitted for a while, but for different reasons. The main one was heated by stove back boiler and by solar thermal panel, using two coils and is a third of the way down the cabin, near the stove to get the gravity circulation to work. I did have a single coil 30l one at the rear of the cabin, fed from the engine.

It worked fine. I had an isolation valve and a one way check valve on the cold input of each. The isolation valve was used to select which one to draw hot water from. Having both on at once means that you could easily be drawing from the cold one, or empty all the hot from one and draw cold, without touching the hot available in the other. Both with mixer valves. A single expansion tank for the entire hot water system. Hardly used the second engine fed cauliflower, so it went to get the space back.

Jen

Thanks Jen, just good to know it’s doable. 

18 hours ago, Bod said:

How big is the cold water tank?

Needs to be at least twice the size of the proposed hot water system.

How often do you expect to have a bath, and how often do you fill up with water now?

Bod.

I haven’t measured but I think the tank is 800L. 
Plan on having a bath a couple of times a week. I last filled up six weeks ago but I’m currently refitting so only use the kitchen sink at the minute. 

I picked up a 75L surecal from Midland Chandlers yesterday and figured if possible, I could add that to my current 55, but if not, at least 75 should give me a decent amount?

Edited by ASupertramp

2 hours ago, ASupertramp said:

I think the tank is 800L.

About 10 baths worth then (if you don’t fill it too full). 

2 hours ago, ASupertramp said:

I picked up a 75L surecal from Midland Chandlers yesterday and figured if possible, I could add that to my current 55, but if not, at least 75 should give me a decent amount?

A 55 would probably do it with 1/3 cold water added to make it bearable 

• Greenie 1

23 hours ago, ASupertramp said:

Good Afternoon!

I am trying to make a decision regarding my hot water requirements. I'm installing a (nearly) full sized bath so I'll need more hot water than the original 1989 55L calorifier can provide. 

Do I;

a) Purchase a surecal 75L and get rid of the original calorifier (and hope this is enough capacity)

or

b) Purchase a surecal 55L and link to my original = 110L

Will mostly have a landline connection so can use the immersion or it'll be hooked up to the Webasto.

Thoughts? How easy is it to link the two? 

Much appreciated!

Just turn up the thermostat from (say) 65 to 85 and by the time you have added the 'cold' in your bath you'll probably have about 50% more 'bath temperature water' available.

• Greenie 2