How long does an LPG generator take to deplete a gas bottle?

Thomas C King

Featured Posts

Hi, thinking of getting a Honda generator converted for LPG, maybe the EU10i or the EU22i. This should be simple, but I'm struggling to find out how long a full gas bottle, the typical size for a boat, would last if the generator was at full power (from there I can work out how long it'd last for typical usage). Does anyone have a ballpark figure they could give me?

1 hour ago, WotEver said:

There's a thread here that should help:

If a 6kg bottle lasts 10 hrs at full power, a 13kg bottle will last just over 20 hours at full power. I wonder if rate of use is linear such that it will run for the quoted 80 hours at just 1/4 power.

2 hours ago, Richard10002 said:

If a 6kg bottle lasts 10 hrs at full power, a 13kg bottle will last just over 20 hours at full power. I wonder if rate of use is linear such that it will run for the quoted 80 hours at just 1/4 power.

I doubt it would run for ever -even if you drew no power from it

23 minutes ago, Tacet said:

I doubt it would run for ever -even if you drew no power from it

Well, that would break the 8am to 8pm guidance, but even 12 hours solid is likely to seriously hack off everyone with in a mile radius.  Sorry, its a Honda, so that radius will be closer to 1000 metres.  ;)

Does the EU20i/EU22i run correctly on a 13Kg bottle?  At least one authorised UK seller of Honda units (Kelvin Power Tools) states that the minimum bottle size should be 19Kg.  On that basis I dropped the idea.

Have a 2.2eui and it runs on propane .  No problem with 13kg lil bit lumpy at zero or very light load but that virtually goes away as it gets up to temp . Regards consumption it is great at low to medium loads but at full chat is a thirsty beast 13 kg bottle lasts 1 week at 2 -3 hours a day if running my immersion (1kw) and other loads , so at close to full chat 1800 watts due to efficiency loses , about 15-20 hours but I am told that is no worse than petrol . Certainly when just charging batteries and the missus iron etc it does not use much at all and last easily between fuel boat visits 3-4weeks and zone running.3 hours a day 

11 hours ago, RufusR said:

Have a 2.2eui and it runs on propane .  No problem with 13kg lil bit lumpy at zero or very light load but that virtually goes away as it gets up to temp . Regards consumption it is great at low to medium loads but at full chat is a thirsty beast 13 kg bottle lasts 1 week at 2 -3 hours a day if running my immersion (1kw) and other loads , so at close to full chat 1800 watts due to efficiency loses , about 15-20 hours but I am told that is no worse than petrol . Certainly when just charging batteries and the missus iron etc it does not use much at all and last easily between fuel boat visits 3-4weeks and zone running.3 hours a day 

Really useful, thanks.

• 1 year later...

I have just looked up my spreadsheets and find that for my Kipor rated at 900kVA I have been getting an average of 87 hrs per 13kg bottle of propane.

HTH

N

16 minutes ago, Theo said:

I have just looked up my spreadsheets and find that for my Kipor rated at 900kVA I have been getting an average of 87 hrs per 13kg bottle of propane.

HTH

N

Are you sure you are getting 900,000 VA ?

the OP is running at 1800VA so (assuming you mean 900VA he will be using a considerably greater volume than you (twice ?)

Edited by Alan de Enfield

On 19/07/2021 at 19:16, Alan de Enfield said:

Are you sure you are getting 900,000 VA ?

the OP is running at 1800VA so (assuming you mean 900VA he will be using a considerably greater volume than you (twice ?)

Hm...

900kVA.  Do I run a mobile paoer station on a narrowboat?

900VA it is.

Nick