Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Bewildered

Fancy firewood

Featured Posts

Well I usually start with the smallest and work up in size once the stove's good and hot, but don't take my word for it - I've never burned anything with a moustache! :D

(I think they're awesome by the way - how long did they take you?)

You should try advertising them as doorstops - ideal Christmas presents, if the recipients doesn’t like them they can go on the fire!

5 hours ago, Bewildered said:

Been getting bored during lockdown so started playing with my Dremel, 

Well, I've never heard one called that before.

You haven't been on holiday to Easter Island, have you?

7 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

Well I usually start with the smallest and work up in size once the stove's good and hot, but don't take my word for it - I've never burned anything with a moustache! :D

(I think they're awesome by the way - how long did they take you?)

I suppose a lot depends on the hardness of the wood, the one on the left is cherry and was the first one carved it took about 40 mins to carve. The other three are ash, the faces took about an hour and the owl took about 20 mins. As I practice, and hopefully improve, I would expect to be able to carve them in about 20-30 mins

6 hours ago, Mike Tee said:

You should try advertising them as doorstops - ideal Christmas presents, if the recipients doesn’t like them they can go on the fire!

I was planning on making more of these for sale at Christmas 

image.jpeg.e1cf401d6c35ad3c89f5552415055051.jpeg

4 hours ago, Athy said:

Well, I've never heard one called that before.

You haven't been on holiday to Easter Island, have you?

Didn't start out to make them look like Easter Island heads, I'm just not confident enough to do a detailed beard yet

Edited by Bewildered

8 minutes ago, Bewildered said:

I was planning on making more of these for sale at Christmas 

Didn't start out to make them look like Easter Island heads, I'm just not confident enough to do a detailed beard yet

Despite my jesting, I think they look very accomplished and, indeed, professional. You should sell lots of them.

^^^^ As Athy says - my comments were meant to be complimentary, I admire anybody who has an artistic streak in them - my artistic attributes are limited to making logs look like um  .. logs.

How's about trying your hand at witches?  After you finish carving, you can dunk 'em and if they sink they're not witches so you need to do another til you get it right.  On the other hand, if they float, you can burn 'em! :)

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Sea Dog said:

How's about trying your hand at witches?  After you finish carving, you can dunk 'em and if they sink they're not witches so you need to do another til you get it right.  On the other hand, if they float, you can burn 'em! :)

:clapping:

Or very small rocks ... or a duck that weighs the same ...

1 hour ago, Sea Dog said:

But if I carve a witch I run the risk that she might turn me into a newt

I think they’re great. 
What attachments you using?

Sounds like you’re carving them quickly. 

You’ll increase in confidence. 
Keep at it. 

There’s a bloke I meet now and again in passing who is carving faces in logs and makes a few quid doing it.
He does horror faces (Dracula, werewolves and such like), pop stars and will do portraits from a photograph. 
some are really good. 

Thought I gave you a greenie yesterday but didn’t, so have one today 👍

16 minutes ago, Goliath said:

I think they’re great. 

Keep at it. 

There’s a bloke I meet now and again in passing who is carving faces in logs and makes a few quid doing it.
He does horror faces (Dracula, werewolves and such like), pop stars and will do portraits from a photograph. 
some are really good. 

Is that the guy on the Norman? Hardcore living but seen his work on the boat roof at Marple last year and on Instagram and agree he's talented.

Think the OP's ones are great. Love a blowtorch for bringing out the grain in rustic stuff

2 minutes ago, BilgePump said:

Is that the guy on the Norman? Hardcore living but seen his work on the boat roof at Marple last year and on Instagram and agree he's talented.

Think the OP's ones are great. Love a blowtorch for bringing out the grain in rustic stuff

Yep that’s the bloke

his names Neil

and yea, hardcore living

proper hardcore

last time I saw him he’d extended the cabin with plywood

he was on his way south to claim an abandoned narrowboat. 

He uses small chisels and gouges and only began for fun. 

With practice he gained confidence

And now he’s got pretty good at it. 

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Goliath said:

I think they’re great. 

Keep at it. 

some are really good. 

I'm using a Dremel 3000 with a flex shaft, most of the wood removal is done with a Kutzal extreme flame bur, then the standard Dremel flame bur for smoothing out the tool marks left by the Kutzal. Once it is burnt with a blowtorch I use a flap wheel made with squares of emery cloth to sand it back. I need to spend some time playing with other burs to see what use I can get out of them, but the Kutzal is excellent for removing a lot of material fairly quickly.

edit to add, I have also just bought a router attachment for the Dremel to do precision carving in flat planks, thought I might carve the boat name on an old scaffold board and mount it on the roof 

Edited by Bewildered

6 hours ago, Bewildered said:

Still bored so made another one, wall hanging piece this time

image.jpeg.d817480650184fcbaccd8d5e7484f1f2.jpeg

Love it. You should feel rightly chuffed with yerself. 

Mr Bewildered, there can only be one I suppose, are you the same as I’ve spoken to in occasion during the past six months.

I had no idea you did this. They are good.

2 hours ago, Nightwatch said:

Mr Bewildered, there can only be one I suppose, are you the same as I’ve spoken to in occasion during the past six months.

I had no idea you did this. They are good.

That would indeed be I.

Dremel carving is an outdoor activity when you live on a boat due to excessive sawdust and a desire not to be beaten senseless by my better half. So today was my first attempt at whittling as it is sawdust free (wood chips easily swept up) and I can do it in the boat over wintertime 2AE099E2-44DA-4EC7-89A0-0F397CEA6BFE.jpeg.41de87fdc036c7b22dd42ee107e318fb.jpeg

4 minutes ago, Bewildered said:

imageproxy.php?img=&key=fba7ffdd30274950D3A171FC-E9EF-4D14-B28E-36F4577629BE.jpeg.b55e293bcb3b30c9c06e225e8150ab3c.jpeg

The green men are very good and show a far more skill than I would ever have but I do like these, they make me smile

1 minute ago, tree monkey said:

The green men are very good and show a far more skill than I would ever have but I do like these, they make me smile

When I have made enough I will paint them, can’t be bothered with paint for such small items until I have a job lot to do. Next plan is to whittle a smiling tree with a wind bent crown and wearing a Santa hat

• Greenie 2

Far, far better than the far east KAK you see everywhere in Garden Centres.

Deffo sell them.