Suggestions on new engine

Ant cole

Featured Posts

Hi guys ,  we are thinking of an upgrade , we have a 45 ft boat , currently 2 cylinder engine , , 25 years old boat , keel cooled , it runs fine , maybe bit noisy  , not as clean as it was ,,it vibrates as a 2 cylinder, we’re near lichfield , any suggestions as to new or recon with 12 ,month warranty. ,?  3 cylinder min ,, best make ? Advised h power . ? And where to get a quote , , ,   

Canalline popular with hire fleets at present, mostly Korean I believe.

Beta possibly most popular, based on Kabota Jap. units.

Vetus, Mitsubishi based, horrible spares prices.

Then there are Barrus, Yanmar and others. Isuzu not in the market now.

45ft  needs 25 to 30 HP, but consider matching to your existing prop.

Go for a hydraulic PRM gearbox, possibly PRM150 for reliability rather than any other.

What is in it now?

TD'

Edited by Tracy D'arth
added more text

I have a Canaline in this boat, and so far I can't fault it. Did a full service on it a few weeks ago and it's incredibly straightforward to work on. Nothing's in an awkward place or difficult to access (subject to installation, of course), nothing's difficult to do or replace.

1 hour ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Canalline popular with hire fleets at present, mostly Korean I believe.

Beta possibly most popular, based on Kabota Jap. units.

Vetus, Mitsubishi based, horrible spares prices.

Then there are Barrus, Yanmar and others. Isuzu not in the market now.

45ft  needs 25 to 30 HP, but consider matching to your existing prop.

Go for a hydraulic PRM gearbox, possibly PRM150 for reliability rather than any other.

What is in it now?

TD'

You do not need those power figures quoted .. a 9 ‘oss puts a 70footer along nicely 

look at the type of engine before assuming you know the answer please 

live long and prosper 

• Unimpressed 1

9 minutes ago, Chris-B said:

You do not need those power figures quoted .. a 9 ‘oss puts a 70footer along nicely 

live long and prosper 

I was of course talking about legal low pollution quiet modern engines rather than antique lumps of noisy dirty cast iron thumpers.

See, its easy to be nice and answer politly.

Live long and learn manners.?

TD'  

4 minutes ago, Chris-B said:

Cut was built on proper engines ... 

see I can be nice

when warranted 

stay frosty 

Sorry Chris, the cut was built using horses and wooden boats. The modern cast iron stuff with any internal combustion  engine is simply not quite as modern as the superior modern engine of today.

• Greenie 1

21 minutes ago, Chris-B said:

Modern have no soul 

still horses for courses 

all gets us afloat 

that’s all from me as I await the slagging off 

In total agreement Chris. 

But a vintage engine is not for everyone. I've had them and modern stuff too.

For the current boating scene, most will want trouble free modern engines like they have in their cars, minimal servicing, free from breakdowns, easy access to spares and a low price.

Yes, I have spent many hours behind the exhaust of an Ailsa Craig RF4 smoker, come out of tunnels coughing, covered in oily carbon smuts with burn holes in my clothes off the red hot clinkers, loved it all.

But its not what the OP asked for.

I love old BMCs, not vintage I know but old and not  Far Eastern.  Just about reliable enough for most boaters.

Would I at my time of life go back to a vintage lump? No, too much trouble and expense. For me an engine 'ole and boatmans cabin now have no magic.

Edited by Tracy D'arth

23 hours ago, Ant cole said:

Hi guys ,  we are thinking of an upgrade , we have a 45 ft boat , currently 2 cylinder engine , , 25 years old boat , keel cooled , it runs fine , maybe bit noisy  , not as clean as it was ,,it vibrates as a 2 cylinder, we’re near lichfield , any suggestions as to new or recon with 12 ,month warranty. ,?  3 cylinder min ,, best make ? Advised h power . ? And where to get a quote , , ,   

Not as clean as it used to be and vibrates a bit? Have you thought about having the injectors serviced, valve clearances and timing checked, maybe a decoke and perhaps some new engine mounts? A lot cheaper than a new engine, and might give you years of cleaner, quieter boating.

21 hours ago, Chris-B said:

live long and prosper 

My electric widebeam goes nicely on 30 HP, but most of the time its running at 3 - 4 HP it takes surprisingly little power to move a boat

32 minutes ago, peterboat said:it takes surprisingly little power to move a boat

But a fair amount to stop it quickly. 

32 minutes ago, peterboat said:

it takes surprisingly little power to move a boat

36 minutes ago, peterboat said:

My electric widebeam goes nicely on 30 HP, but most of the time its running at 3 - 4 HP it takes surprisingly little power to move a boat

3 minutes ago, WotEver said:

For towing the recommendation is a minimum of 1hp per tonne of boat, (but there is no 'stopping' allowance) its a bit like watching the strongman competition trying to pull an Articulated truck or a 737 Jet, nothing happens for ages, then it veeeery veeeeeery slowly starts to creep gradually getting a bit faster, but to stop, you just get out the way and let it 'free-wheel'.

19 minutes ago, WotEver said:

12 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

For towing the recommendation is a minimum of 1hp per tonne of boat, (but there is no 'stopping' allowance) its a bit like watching the strongman competition trying to pull an Articulated truck or a 737 Jet, nothing happens for ages, then it veeeery veeeeeery slowly starts to creep gradually getting a bit faster, but to stop, you just get out the way and let it 'free-wheel'.

33 tons most cruisers and narrowboats stay out of the way ?

• Happy 1

For the power required a lot depends on how big a propeller you can swing, those old working boats function well on 9hp because they were so long and therefore needed less power to push through the water at any given speed and a large slower turning propeller could be twice as efficient as a smaller faster turning one

"As a very general rule the maximum speed of any displacement hull--commonly called its hull speed--is governed by a simple formula: hull speed in knots equals 1.34 times the square root of the waterline length in feet (HS = 1.34 x √LWL).26 Mar 2010"https://www.boats.com/reviews/crunching-numbers-hull-speed-boat-length/

• Greenie 1