continuous crusing and children

Featured Posts

Hi everyone, 

I've lived alone on a narrowboat on a mooring for a couple of years but now my circumstances are about to changed dramatically and my 11 year old son will be living with me. I will need to get a bigger boat and move off my mooring to take up continuous cruising for budget reasons. My son has autism and plan give up my job to home school him, but before I make the leap I have  a few, maybe obvious questions - mostly around the lack of address.

1. Can you claim careers allowance without an address?

2. Can you claim any benefits?

3. Can you register for Doctor's surgery? 

4. How do you have a bank account? 

5. Are potential (part time, home working) employers ok with a lack of address? 

If anyone has any experience of something similar, I would love to hear how you do it? 

thanks!

I don't know the answer to any of your questions but in your position I would contact the Waterways Chaplin, they deal with these sorts of issues all the time. There will probably be one for the area you are moored in at the moment or they have a web site. They wont preach to you, just help.

https://www.waterwayschaplaincy.org.uk/

Edited by ditchcrawler
  • Greenie 4

1 hour ago, Paps said:

Hi everyone, 

I've lived alone on a narrowboat on a mooring for a couple of years but now my circumstances are about to changed dramatically and my 11 year old son will be living with me. I will need to get a bigger boat and move off my mooring to take up continuous cruising for budget reasons. My son has autism and plan give up my job to home school him, but before I make the leap I have  a few, maybe obvious questions - mostly around the lack of address.

If anyone has any experience of something similar, I would love to hear how you do it? 

thanks!

You can deffo register for a doctors, I and many are. My bank is an address with a rellie and has been for many years. I have never claimed any benefits so cant help you there.

2 hours ago, Paps said:

Hi everyone, 

thanks!

If you're on Facebook there is a very good page, benefits for boaters, moderated by a chap who actually knows and works in the business, highly recommended.

• Greenie 1