Temporary solar mountings for roof.

Tasemu

Featured Posts

On 09/06/2020 at 15:52, Dave 2 said:

I've just fitted 2 x 175w panels using the black plastic feet, I found the best way way was to put the feet on the roof then the Panel then drill the holes it took care of the curve of the roof, then stick them down using Soudal Soudaflex. 

IMG-20200530-WA0001 2.JPG

If you live aboard off grid and need every amp when it’s not high summer then tilting them into sun at the correct angle for the season will give you at least 30 % more power . Indeed my current old panels doubled their output when I stopped the denial and listened to my elders and betters on the cut . I was amazed and delighted . Do not believe the flat earthers ( panelers) that it makes no difference , they are plan wrong . 

Of of course you may just be looking for a little addition while cruising and not living aboard off grid on which case it probably doesn’t matter as much .

4 hours ago, RufusR said:

If you live aboard off grid and need every amp when it’s not high summer then tilting them into sun at the correct angle for the season will give you at least 30 % more power . Indeed my current old panels doubled their output when I stopped the denial and listened to my elders and betters on the cut . I was amazed and delighted . Do not believe the flat earthers ( panelers) that it makes no difference , they are plan wrong . 

Of of course you may just be looking for a little addition while cruising and not living aboard off grid on which case it probably doesn’t matter as much .

I don't liveaboard, and when boating I usually put in fairly long days. So my solar needs are modest - basicaly enough to keep the batteries topped up (all year), and to keep the fridge going for a few hours, or maybe a day or two in summer.  I also want a roof which has minimum obstructions so I can easily nip from one end of the boat to the other especially in locks, and access lock ladders. So just one solar panel, set slightly to one side, to allow a walkway on the other, and laid flat to minimise obstruction and overall air draft.

Works for me.

1 hour ago, roland elsdon said:

Mine have a rubber doorstop on each corner and recline elegantly on the roof. The have a  Flexible cable lock through the mushroom ventilator for security.

I have the same thing on a small 20W panel that runs the solar hot water pump. This is an additional system to the three 80W panels that are Nd magnet mounted and charge the boat batteries. In a gale I do sometimes hear this panel vibrating as the wind tries to get under it, but so far it hasn't taken off. Been like that for thirteen years, so seems to be OK. There may well be a size limit on the panel that would be safe like this, but what it is I don't know. Rubber door stops are useful things and are used for several tasks around the boat. Some are even used as door stops!

Jen

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies

12 hours ago, RufusR said:

This best option. By far . Currently have 2 x big inefficient Solar’s on 30 degree tilt mounts held by 6 x neomyedium (six ) 9.1 kilo magnets and didn’t move an inch in recent high winds even when from behind . Have 6 x 270 watt panels coming tomorrow and they will be held by 6x 12 kilo magnets each on tilting frames . Cost from amazon is 12 quid delivered per six . Job done  

This sounds excellent, got a link?

1 hour ago, ditchcrawler said:

I never got round to fixing mine down, just sit on 4 rubber door stops

Does that mean you take it in at the end of every cruise Brian? If so have you had any problems connecting and disconnecting the cable? I'm thinking about a dismountable panel and wondering if it is going to be trouble

16 minutes ago, Cheshire cat said:

Does that mean you take it in at the end of every cruise Brian? If so have you had any problems connecting and disconnecting the cable? I'm thinking about a dismountable panel and wondering if it is going to be trouble

Other way round, I normally remove them when cruising and leave them on when moored to maintain the batteries. I little squirt of WD now and again on the connectors

My panels are each secured by 4 x L shaped brackets, each with a footprint of 2" x 1", stuck to the roof with Stixall from Toolstation.  Many here have used it for a variety of purposes.  It's not silicone based, so it can be painted over, and it will stick and cure underwater.  I used clear, but they also to black and white.  It works well for this application, being not only secure but barely noticeable. 

Another vote for door stops, mine are just lashed down. It would take about 2 minutes to disconnect them and remove them from the roof, but i have not yet done so.  

This is the Mark I installation, has been improved (by adding a second panel, and more eyes on the roof).

dsc_1516.jpg

I bolteded my panels to a sheet of twin wall plastic which is longer than the panels and normally sits on top of the gang plank; the plastic is held to the plank by a couple of bungee straps which just hook through holes on the plastic and pass under the plank. Quickly and easily removed if the plank is required. When I leave the boat I add a couple of ropes over the top of the plastic ends, tied to the handrails, as extra fastenings in case of gale force winds.

5 hours ago, wiltshirewonderer said:

I use these rubber coated magnets attached to 'L' brackets. About £24 for 10. 

https://www.guysmagnets.com/magnetic-products-c2/vehicle-mag-pad-1-p194

These look good, what size panel would they be able to hold?  presume you need four of them per panel plus any fixings? 

I have been looking around at solar fixings for a long time and had pretty much intended to go for brackets that bolted to the roof. I then figured if a magnetic way could be used:

you don't have any holes in your roof

you can move them if you need to

remove completely for painting

If you had to replace a panel you're not tied to getting one the same size for the bolted down fixings...

Thinking about getting two panels and hold down horizontally with magnets. Getting larger panel than i would otherwise get as they wont tilt.

Edited by robtheplod

19 hours ago, robtheplod said:

These look good, what size panel would they be able to hold?  presume you need four of them per panel plus any fixings? 

I have been looking around at solar fixings for a long time and had pretty much intended to go for brackets that bolted to the roof. I then figured if a magnetic way could be used:

you don't have any holes in your roof

you can move them if you need to

remove completely for painting

If you had to replace a panel you're not tied to getting one the same size for the bolted down fixings...

Thinking about getting two panels and hold down horizontally with magnets. Getting larger panel than i would otherwise get as they wont tilt.

I've been using 4 per panel on my 160w panels. Friends have used 6 on 250-300w ones.

Same reasons I went for the magnet solution. No damage from water ingress affecting the paintwork after 18 months either which was the main downside risk as far as I was concerned.