What kind of fuse holder is this?

Featured Posts

The tall clear lid suggests blade holder. But the metal terminals inside don't seem to allow a blade fuse to clip in like other blade fuse holders I've got. ? Looks like a standard cylindrical fuse should go in it instead. But it came supplied with blade fuses... so I'm a bit perplexed.

What kind of fuse does this take, anyone know? 

Thanks. 

20200608_195144.jpg

20200608_195120.jpg

18 minutes ago, BlueStringPudding said:

Thanks. That's what it came with. How does it clip in? Coz the fitting isn't like any of my other fuse holders that take those fuses ?

It doesn't "clip" in, you push it down and it fits securely between 2 metal blades for each leg of the fuse

13 minutes ago, Graham Davis said:

It doesn't "clip" in, you push it down and it fits securely between 2 metal blades for each leg of the fuse

The blades are a couple of millimetres apart. I can't see how they grip the legs of the fuse when the gap so so much wider than the fuse legs

1 minute ago, BlueStringPudding said:

The blades are a couple of millimetres apart. I can't see how they grip the legs of the fuse when the gap so so much wider than the fuse legs

Struggling to interpret your second pic. Its so out of focus. Have you got another?

10 minutes ago, BlueStringPudding said:

What happens if you insert one of the supplied fuses.

Does it grip?

There are mini blade fuses which, (surprise!) are smaller than standard blade fuses. Could it be a holder for one of these? There are also maxi blade fuses, which again look similar to standard ones, but I don't know how their size compares to standard ones as I've never used them.

https://www.polevolt.co.uk/acatalog/Mini_Blade_Fuses.html

Jen

13 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

There are mini blade fuses which, (surprise!) are smaller than standard blade fuses. Could it be a holder for one of these? There are also maxi blade fuses, which again look similar to standard ones, but I don't know how their size compares to standard ones as I've never used them.

https://www.polevolt.co.uk/acatalog/Mini_Blade_Fuses.html

Jen

I think all of these have narrow sockets to grip the legs of the fuse - I've got them elsewhere on my boat. This fuse holder has wide sockets. I've tried to photograph it here with the fuse precariously balanced in it (coz it doesn't clip in snugly) It's loose by a millimetre or more and wiggles around. It doesn't seem right. If I tilt the fuse holder the fuse drops out

20200608_211305.jpg

Edited by BlueStringPudding

Well somethings wrong. These are a good fuse system, almost universal in cars, and they grip the fuse really well and do not do loose or bad connections, much better than them funny ceramic cylinder things that the Germans used on some cars.

They can be quite tight, have you pushed the fuse fully home?

..............Dave

48 minutes ago, BlueStringPudding said:

I think all of these have narrow sockets to grip the legs of the fuse - I've got them elsewhere on my boat. This fuse holder has wide sockets. I've tried to photograph it here with the fuse precariously balanced in it (coz it doesn't clip in snugly) It's loose by a millimetre or more and wiggles around. It doesn't seem right. If I tilt the fuse holder the fuse drops out

20200608_211305.jpg

No that is still out of focus!
If you have to be that close use the macro setting of the phone/camera

Phone doesn't have a macro. You'll have to take my word for it If you can't see that in the first photo the fuse holder uprights are a few millimetres apart and shallow in depth. Totally unlike the legs of a blade fuse which are maybe 1mm thick and quite long, requiring for a proper fit two deep and narrow slots to clip into securely. What the fuse holder has is two wide and shallow "slots" 

1 hour ago, BlueStringPudding said:

Phone doesn't have a macro. You'll have to take my word for it If you can't see that in the first photo the fuse holder uprights are a few millimetres apart and shallow in depth. Totally unlike the legs of a blade fuse which are maybe 1mm thick and quite long, requiring for a proper fit two deep and narrow slots to clip into securely. What the fuse holder has is two wide and shallow "slots" 

From that photo it looks as if the fuse is not pushed in far enough.

It looks as though the 'legs' of the fuse remain partly exposed. They shouldn't be.

3 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

??

I have no idea what that means.

There is a pair of fuse removal tweezers in each of the four fuseboxes in the car.

I read the !!!! as being a comment on the number of separate fuseboxes.

6 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

??

I have no idea what that means.

Sorry, I've been flitting between this site and a Volvo Owners forum. Thought I was on other site. Fuse discussion running there as well.

2 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

There is a pair of fuse removal tweezers in each of the four fuseboxes in the car.

Quite right.

Just now, TheBiscuits said:

Yes.

I know car fuse boxes have them.

I was linking to an item that can be purchased in the absence of a car being nearby or indeed a car fuse box.