Marina on Rochdale?

umpire111

Featured Posts

Bronte boats have some offside moorings in Hebden Bridge, they are not fully secure but its a safe place. They are pretty full at the moment with liveaboards, lockeddown boaters, and boats undergoing work, but they might just squeeze you in.   There is a small marina at Todmorden full of long term liveaboards, and it probably is full, but speak to Bronte Boats about this too.  Sowerby Bridge to the summit is a good safe area so leaving your boat on the towpath should be ok. If you choose to do this then let me know, we are probably going to stay up here for this year (assuming CRT let us) to sit out the virus so you could maybe moor next to us.

.................Dave

1 minute ago, dmr said:

Bronte boats have some offside moorings in Hebden Bridge, they are not fully secure but its a safe place. They are pretty full at the moment with liveaboards, lockeddown boaters, and boats undergoing work, but they might just squeeze you in.   There is a small marina at Todmorden full of long term liveaboards, and it probably is full, but speak to Bronte Boats about this too.  Sowerby Bridge to the summit is a good safe area so leaving your boat on the towpath should be ok. If you choose to do this then let me know, we are probably going to stay up here for this year (assuming CRT let us) to sit out the virus so you could maybe moor next to us.

.................Dave

Tx Dave, will keep tour details and let you know. Sowerby Bridge, Shire Cruises can accommodate us but moorings not secure and no plug in. Any idea where you plan to stay

I was about to say similar regards Todmorden marina and the reasonable safety of the stretch above Todmorden. 
Top of Gauxholme locks is safe enough for a couple of weeks. 

2 minutes ago, umpire111 said:

Tx Dave, will keep tour details and let you know. Sowerby Bridge, Shire Cruises can accommodate us but moorings not secure and no plug in. Any idea where you plan to stay

Ahr, ok 

You need plug in. 
So can’t just leave by towpath?

8 minutes ago, umpire111 said:

Sowerby Bridge is pretty safe too, the Calder Valley is generally a safe place. If you really need a plug in then Bronte at Hebden is the best option but its very hard to book in advance, its a turn up and hope sort of place as boats that they are working on can take up the space. We hope to be doing a reduced continuous cruising thing so will likely be between Hebden Bridge and the Summit, but if the virus really reduces and the pubs open we might get as far as Sowerby.

The Rochdale is still a remote and under-used canal with very few facilities.

.................Dave

20 minutes ago, dmr said:

The Rochdale is still a remote and under-used canal with very few facilities.

I mentioned the lack of bins to Richard Parry once, due to the sheer volume of prop rubbish we collected on the way to Manchester.  He said the problem was lack of space - they got given the canal and towpath, but very little extra land to put helpful things like bins or service yards on.   It's also a bit chicken and egg - with few facilities boaters don't like to use it, and with few boaters there isn't much need for extra services.

Which is a shame, because I like the Rochdale (well, most of it!)

18 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

I mentioned the lack of bins to Richard Parry once, due to the sheer volume of prop rubbish we collected on the way to Manchester.  He said the problem was lack of space - they got given the canal and towpath, but very little extra land to put helpful things like bins or service yards on.   It's also a bit chicken and egg - with few facilities boaters don't like to use it, and with few boaters there isn't much need for extra services.

Which is a shame, because I like the Rochdale (well, most of it!)

I think the Manchester rubbish would go into the canal even if there were bins, pushbikes (and motorbikes) like to go into the canal but don't really like bins ?.

CRT are closing some bin compounds because they keep getting full and it costs too much to empty them. There are certainly some that are are used more by locals then boaters, and with council tips getting more difficult to use its no surprise the the locals realise that a BW key off eBay is a good investment. In Hebden Bridge most people using the bins arrive by car, but they could well be boaters from the long term moorings.

I think both the Rochdale and the HNC suffer from the chicken and egg syndrome, its not just facilities, a better supply of water would be good.

................Dave

and the last time I spoke to Richard Parry I think he said he had never been to the Rochdale, he likes a bit of boating so that could be a project for you.

...............Dave

11 minutes ago, dmr said:

There are certainly some that are are used more by locals then boaters, and with council tips getting more difficult to use its no surprise the the locals realise that a BW key off eBay is a good investment. In Hebden Bridge most people using the bins arrive by car, but they could well be boaters from the long term moorings.

Much the same on the Gloucester-Sharpness. In the past the red Biffa bins have been in the open but they've just built a new lockable compound  at Saul Junction & are doing away with the bins at Fretherne bridge which were always overflowing but where very few boats ever stopped. I don't suppose it will take long for the lock to disappear. 

36 minutes ago, sharpness said:

Much the same on the Gloucester-Sharpness. In the past the red Biffa bins have been in the open but they've just built a new lockable compound  at Saul Junction & are doing away with the bins at Fretherne bridge which were always overflowing but where very few boats ever stopped. I don't suppose it will take long for the lock to disappear. 

Rubbish disposal is now a valuable service so if its easily accessible people will use it,  just like if you put a skip in the road outside your house. A locked compound does not help much. As you say the lock ends up dangling on its chain, or if the compound has no roof the rubbish just gets lobbed in over the fence. There is a convenient boaters toilet at Todmorden and just about every local schoolkid, walker and cyclist has got themselves a key.

The Northwich (River Weaver) bins were mostly used by locals so CRT moved them to a pontoon outside their yard so that you could only get to them by boat, though this made their task of emptying them much more time consuming.

...........Dave

• 1 month later...
8 minutes ago, Cheshire cat said:

The annoying thing about CRT bins is there is no attempt to provide recycling opportunities. All my beer bottles have to stay with me until I go home

Due to lockdown I have a LOT of beer bottles, the local tip is open but not taking bottles. The other day the council recycling collection lorry went past so I flagged him down and after a bit of negotiation he took the lot.

...............Dave

14 minutes ago, Cheshire cat said:

The annoying thing about CRT bins is there is no attempt to provide recycling opportunities. All my beer bottles have to stay with me until I go home

We were talking about this earlier.

If you put recyclables loose in general waste there is about a 60% chance they will be separated for recycling (depends on location).

Don't put them in a bin bag, just drop them in the bin/skip and they are more likely than not to be diverted to recycling later