Thoughts On Another Boat .

Parahandy

Featured Posts

https://narrowboats.apolloduck.co.uk/boat/narrow-boats-traditional/614490

I have been considering the above Boat for some weeks now and I have even gone as far as speaking with Sammy the broker who is handling the sale . I currently have a 2009 70ft Orion Hull with the Tug style well deck which I dont immediately need to sell in order to purchase  though the broker has kindly offered to take it in PX for what I assume will be the customary derisory offer .

I wonder if anyone has any thoughts or general comments on the above Boat , I have owned many Boats over my 40 years afloat but have never paid this kind of money before always managing to wheel and deal whilst always paying cash . In short is it a time to be buying , is it worth its money and any other thoughts would be welcome . 

A lovely boat with an impeccable pedigree, looks to be in good condition inside. Hull needs a careful check for peace of mind.

Its older than your present tug, going older is your choice.

Its not for me, boatmans cabin and trad engine not my scene to live on but its what most aspire to.

Never seen the use of a bath, but the stove is in the best place.

The JP3 is lovely but most reckon that the JP2 is a better engine, is it a marine one or a generator one? 27 HP, it should be.

I don't think the price is over the top. I would not wait too long before buying, surprised that it has been reduced and not sold.

TD'

3 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

A lovely boat with an impeccable pedigree, looks to be in good condition inside. Hull needs a careful check for peace of mind.

Its older than your present tug, going older is your choice.

Its not for me, boatmans cabin and trad engine not my scene to live on but its what most aspire to.

Never seen the use of a bath, but the stove is in the best place.

The JP3 is lovely but most reckon that the JP2 is a better engine, is it a marine one or a generator one? 27 HP, it should be.

I don't think the price is over the top. I would not wait too long before buying, surprised that it has been reduced and not sold.

TD'

70 ft apparently can be hard to shift ?? Thanks for the comments

Edited by Parahandy

2 minutes ago, Parahandy said:

70 ft apparently can be hard to shift ??

But a Northwich Trader has to be 70' surely?

I accept that its not the go anywhere length but lovely to have all the space. Will you ever find another? How many were made?

A "proper" boat for sensible money, assuming you are okay with handling a heavy/deep draft combination.

There is a similar 70 footer for sale at the moment by another recognised builder for the same price at another broker so it must be about right.

Northwich Traders change hands for big money so I don't think you will get much off that price. It looks like a really nice example too. Except for the silly glass handbasin the interior looks very tasteful and boaty.

My only slight concern is that the Traders are deep boats and the canal system is sadly getting shallower.

..............Dave

1 hour ago, GRLMK38 said:

A "proper" boat for sensible money, assuming you are okay with handling a heavy/deep draft combination.

There is a similar 70 footer for sale at the moment by another recognised builder for the same price at another broker so it must be about right.

2" 3 Draught and 26 Ton in weight according to the Broker

Ah, now this is a bit different. In my opinion R W Davis are actually boat builders and not just steel fabricators, I have had a look at one of their replica Dutch Barges and 'replica' did not do it justice. If I was after a boat of quality this would be right up there with the best. As for fit out and that sort of stuff that's just a matter of taste.

2 hours ago, Parahandy said:

https://narrowboats.apolloduck.co.uk/boat/narrow-boats-traditional/614490

I have been considering the above Boat for some weeks now and I have even gone as far as speaking with Sammy the broker who is handling the sale . I currently have a 2009 70ft Orion Hull with the Tug style well deck which I dont immediately need to sell in order to purchase  though the broker has kindly offered to take it in PX for what I assume will be the customary derisory offer .

I wonder if anyone has any thoughts or general comments on the above Boat , I have owned many Boats over my 40 years afloat but have never paid this kind of money before always managing to wheel and deal whilst always paying cash . In short is it a time to be buying , is it worth its money and any other thoughts would be welcome . 

I am surprised that someone with your experience is asking on here. What are you afraid of?

1 hour ago, Tracy D'arth said:

But a Northwich Trader has to be 70' surely?

I accept that its not the go anywhere length but lovely to have all the space. Will you ever find another? How many were made?

https://narrowboats.apolloduck.co.uk/boat/rw-davis-70-traditional/610804

This is the other one currently available but a £10k difference in the asking price . The Broker did say when discussing my own Boat that 70ft was indeed hard to sell , whether that was as a preliminary to making me a derisory offer I dont know .

1 minute ago, PhilR said:

I am surprised that someone with your experience is asking on here. What are you afraid of?

Im not afraid of anything in particular though I have a couple of concerns . Firstly the Boat has hung around for a bit so I was unsure about the value and perhaps making a cheeky offer . Secondly I will be left with two 70ft boats albeit in the short term , I have never bought through a broker before and until I spoke with her had no idea of the procedure . With hindsight I should have asked how much my own was worth though I suspect I would be better selling privately . I have genuinely no idea of the current value of 70ft Boats and if they are indeed hard to shift which in turn impacts on values . I wouldn't have though this was the case .

23 minutes ago, Parahandy said:

https://narrowboats.apolloduck.co.uk/boat/rw-davis-70-traditional/610804

This is the other one currently available but a £10k difference in the asking price . The Broker did say when discussing my own Boat that 70ft was indeed hard to sell , whether that was as a preliminary to making me a derisory offer I dont know .

Mor info here http://stuartgolledge.com/

7 minutes ago, Parahandy said:

2" 3 Draught and 26 Ton in weight according to the Broker

I would check that. We are just a humble Colecraft with a Beta JD3 and a Lot deeper than that, and I don't think 27" and 26 ton go together.

..................Dave

I do not know what makes a good pleasure / house boat as my boating revolves around unconverted Grand Union Canal Carrying Company Ltd. narrow boats, but in my world Northwich Traders have always been regarded as a caricature at best and a bit of a joke at worst - purely based upon appearance and what they claim to be a reproduction of. I could only ever buy a boat I liked the look of and for a modern boat this catches my eye :captain: 

https://narrowboats.apolloduck.co.uk/boat/narrow-boats-tugs/610116

• Greenie 2

9 minutes ago, pete harrison said:

I do not know what makes a good pleasure / house boat as my boating revolves around unconverted Grand Union Canal Carrying Company Ltd. narrow boats, but in my world Northwich Traders have always been regarded as a caricature at best and a bit of a joke at worst - purely based upon appearance and what they claim to be a reproduction of. I could only ever buy a boat I liked the look of and for a modern boat this catches my eye :captain: 

Its easy be negative about modern "replicas", but 99% of new boats are now fat narrowboats, or reverse layout cruiser stern narrowboats with bus windows and cartoon character ducks on the side.

Northwich Traders and even Hudsons are nice looking boats, they might not be pefrect, but they are still much much better than most others. I would be very happy to own a Northwich Trader, I know there are even better boats about but there are not many, and Davies and Hudson have done a very good job of putting nicer boats onto the cut. We would love a historic pair, but I am not sure they would make a good liveaboard for us,

.................Dave (a hobby boater who does it 24/7???),

52 minutes ago, dmr said:

Its easy be negative about modern "replicas", but 99% of new boats are now fat narrowboats, or reverse layout cruiser stern narrowboats with bus windows and cartoon character ducks on the side.

Northwich Traders and even Hudsons are nice looking boats, they might not be pefrect, but they are still much much better than most others. I would be very happy to own a Northwich Trader, I know there are even better boats about but there are not many, and Davies and Hudson have done a very good job of putting nicer boats onto the cut. We would love a historic pair, but I am not sure they would make a good liveaboard for us,

.................Dave (a hobby boater who does it 24/7???),

I think I should not have got involved with this thread as it is a bit out of my league as I do not know what 'reverse layout' means (really - I don't) and I am not boating 24/7 (I feel like I am being looked down upon), but I wanted to put TYRLEY into the mix as it represents a small Northwich reproduction that I could live with and is for sale :captain: 

Edited by pete harrison

7 hours ago, pete harrison said:

I think I should not have got involved with this thread as it is a bit out of my league as I do not know what 'reverse layout' means (really - I don't)

Bedroom towards the bow, saloon towards the stern.

The shape and quality of the steelwork apart, those bakelite light switches are a "blast from the past" - they will remind quite a few of us here of the houses in which we grew up, I'm sure.

Regarding Para's original potential boat choice, to this layman's eyes she looks well-appointed and eye-catching. It is rather a shame about the glass wash basin, but then you might not want to spend too long in the bathroom, especially in the mornings, as unless I've misunderstood the sales blurb, the only heating in there comes from a radiator using hot water from the engine, so it will be cold on a winter's morning.

10 hours ago, pete harrison said:

That does look nice

11 hours ago, dmr said:

I would check that. We are just a humble Colecraft with a Beta JD3 and a Lot deeper than that, and I don't think 27" and 26 ton go together.

..................Dave

Our boat is 57 foot and 18 tones and draws between 24" and 28" that is  o.31578 tons per foot length so by that calculation at 70 foot boat would come in at 22 tons .