Solo Boater - What Toilet?

Featured Posts

Hello there,

I know I'm probaly going to start a toilet war here, but I am getting a boat built at the moment and the builder would have prefered me to choose my toilet a month ago... But I hadn't' really decided what I wanted. I have always only thought about two types of toilet, the composting and the cassette. I thought about an incinerating for a while, but then went off it due the the enormous amounts of gas usage, and I ruled pump out pretty much straight away.

I am going to be a solo boater, and a continous cruiser (even through winter), and I was just curious as to what other people opinions of each option are. the composting toilet will have a carbon filter rather than a ventalation pipe. If your wondering, the composting toilet will have a splash screen, and that will enable me to stand up when I have to empty the tanker truck. I will include links to each toilet, here they are:

Anyone who is willing the help, thank you.

Thanks, Niklaus

Edited by NB 'Wrong 'Uns'

No brainer. As you are having the boat built, so you have a choice, Thetford Cassette every time - with 3 cassettes!!

ETA: After nearly 10 years with this system, nothing has happened to make me change my mind. Except that I had only 2 cassettes for a while, and discovered that 3 was the magic number :) 

Edited by Richard10002

2 minutes ago, Richard10002 said:

No brainer. As you are having the boat built, so you have a choice, Thetford Cassette every time - with 3 cassettes!!

ETA: After nearly 10 years with this system, nothing has happened to make me change my mind. Except that I had only 2 cassettes for a while, and discovered that 3 was the magic number :) 

Are you suggesting that number 1's and number 2's were not enough?! :giggles:

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, OldGoat said:

Of the two (I'm a pumpout user...) the cassette makes more sense - at least because it uses no electric power.

Hello,

I have a 900AH Lithium Ion battery bank, so electricty isnt really a problem.

Thanks, Niklaus

That composting toilet has capacity for ten number 2s. So will need emptying every few days. What are you going to do with the contents (which won't have composted at all in that time)?

1 minute ago, NB 'Wrong 'Uns' said:

Hello,

Thanks, Niklaus

So how are you going to recharge that battery?

26 minutes ago, NB 'Wrong 'Uns' said:

the composting toilet will have a carbon filter rather than a ventalation pipe.

That would rule out the composting loo you have chosen, and reading the link it suggests it needs the solids container emptying every ten uses.  You get very few of the advantages and most of the disadvantages of a compost loo with that model!

If that is the only one you think would suit, then go for the cassette, and I say that as a very happy Separett user for five years.

I empty our solids about once a month, maybe every three weeks ...

Edited by TheBiscuits
Add a bit

1 minute ago, David Mack said:

That composting toilet has capacity for ten number 2s. So will need emptying every few days. What are you going to do with the contents (which won't have composted at all in that time)?

Hello,

I am going to have quite a large well deck & engine room, so I will either let it compost in there, or (which I'm not sure if its true or not, bt it seems to be) is put it in a rubish point at the services.

Thanks, Niklaus

5 minutes ago, David Mack said:

So how are you going to recharge that battery?

Hello,

I have a 6 Kva generator, and  750 watts of solar.

Thanks, Niklaus

8 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

That would rule out the composting loo you have chosen, and reading the link it suggests it needs the solids container emptying every ten uses.  You get very few of the advantages and most of the disadvantages of a compost loo with that model!

If that is the only one you think would suit, then go for the cassette, and I say that as a very happy Separett user for five years.

I empty our solids about once a month, maybe every three weeks ...

Hello again,

It does have the capability to use a carbon filter, I know this because I know somone with this toilet on their boat and they have a carbon filter on it. Also, a narrowboat vlogger couple called Foxes Afloat have it, I saw their video while I was doing research on the toilet. Here it is if your interested: 

Thanks, Niklaus

6 minutes ago, NB 'Wrong 'Uns' said:

I am going to have quite a large well deck & engine room, so I will either let it compost in there, or (which I'm not sure if its true or not, bt it seems to be) is put it in a rubish point at the services.

Is this a wind up ?

Are you aware that many marinas have banned boats from having a mooring if they have a Composting toilet just for that very reason.

Brown Waste

It is illegal to discharge any sewage into the marina and all sea toilet seacocks should be closed when berthed in a BWML marina to ensure there is no accidental discharge. Consider a holding tank if using a sea-going craft for residential purposes, rather than face the possible prosecution by the Environment Agency. Elsan disposal points are available for portable toilets systems, and do not empty cassettes into the marina or toilets. Even if you have a pump out fitted, it is worth considering a ‘cassette’ style toilet for the winter months as marinas do freeze over. Currently, composting toilets are not permitted in BWML marinas under the current waste transfer laws.

2 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Is this a wind up ?

Are you aware that many marinas have banned boats from having a mooring if they have a Composting toilet just for that very reason.

Brown Waste

It is illegal to discharge any sewage into the marina and all sea toilet seacocks should be closed when berthed in a BWML marina to ensure there is no accidental discharge. Consider a holding tank if using a sea-going craft for residential purposes, rather than face the possible prosecution by the Environment Agency. Elsan disposal points are available for portable toilets systems, and do not empty cassettes into the marina or toilets. Even if you have a pump out fitted, it is worth considering a ‘cassette’ style toilet for the winter months as marinas do freeze over. Currently, composting toilets are not permitted in BWML marinas under the current waste transfer laws.

Hi,

I am sorry, I was unaware they banned that. I have will have enough room to store about 4 months worth of waste. I have a 6' 6" long engine room, and a 5' 6" well deck with large stroage seats, that will be make specificly for the purpuse of storing the waste from the composting toilet.

Thanks, Niklaus

• Horror 1

29 minutes ago, NB 'Wrong 'Uns' said:

Hello,

Thanks, Niklaus

You still have to charge it up.

Why would you want a carbon filter on a composting toilet, every one tells me they dont smell and yes a high percentage of owners do bag and bin, hardly composting.

Edited by ditchcrawler

12 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Why would you want a carbon filter on a composting toilet, every one tells me they dont smell and yes a high percentage of owners do bag and bin, hardly composting.

Hello again,

The carbon filter would be an extra precaution, as I don't really like the smell of poo. I only pointed out the bag and bin because I hadn't realized they'd banned it. Now that I'm aware of it I will certainly let mine compost. I pointed out how I have large well deck lockers earlier in the feed,

18 minutes ago, NB 'Wrong 'Uns' said:

I am sorry, I was unaware they banned that. I have will have enough room to store about 4 months worth of waste. I have a 6' 6" long engine room, and a 5' 6" well deck with large storage seats, that will be make specificly for the purpose of storing the waste from the composting toilet.

Thanks, Niklaus

Hello again,

I only pointed out the bag and bin because I hadn't realized they'd banned it. Now that I'm aware of it I will  

Thanks, Niklaus

They have not Banned it. CRT are , for some reason happy for you to bag and bin. some marinas don't share that view. Lots of people with "Waterless toilets" bag and bin. I think you have to sit down to wee but you could always install a urinal feeding into the urine collection bottle 

If you use Facebook there is a very good group on there for Composting toilets

This is from the CRT we site https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/enjoy-the-waterways/boating/boating-blogs-and-features/boating-team/game-of-thrones-boat-toilet-waste-disposal

Edited by ditchcrawler

27 minutes ago, NB 'Wrong 'Uns' said:

Hello again,

It does have the capability to use a carbon filter, I know this because I know somone with this toilet on their boat and they have a carbon filter on it. Also, a narrowboat vlogger couple called Foxes Afloat have it, I saw their video while I was doing research on the toilet. Here it is if your interested: 

Thanks, Niklaus

That report from the Foxes Afloat is very informative. It seems to me that composting has come a long way recently. The system they have I can’t fault. Temptation is nipping at me in the event we change our present arrangement. Going back to the OP, I would certainly consider cassette with ‘spares’. We have pump out with a standby Porta Potti. It’s okay.

8 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

They have not Banned it. CRT are , for some reason happy for you to bag and bin. some marinas don't share that view. Lots of people with "Waterless toilets" bag and bin. I think you have to sit down to wee but you could always install a urinal feeding into the urine collection bottle 

If you use Facebook there is a very good group on there for Composting toilets

Hey,

The toilet I'm interested it is possible to stand up, but you need a splash screen, so it doesn't splash and spill into the solids bucket (or very good aim). Here is a link to the splash screen https://compoosttoilets.com/collections/all-products/products/compost-toilet-urine-diverter-separator-anti-splash-screen - If you read the description on the link it will specify what I mean.

Thanks, Niklaus

4 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

That report from the Foxes Afloat is very informative. It seems to me that composting has come a long way recently. The system they have I can’t fault. Temptation is nipping at me in the event we change our present arrangement. Going back to the OP, I would certainly consider cassette with ‘spares’. We have pump out with a standby Porta Potti. It’s okay.

Hey,

The downside of the cassette is the smell when emptying it, and also that is has to use more chemicals than your standard household toilet. I would like to try and be as enviromenatly friendly as well. I am aware it is possible to get more eco friendly chemicals for cassettes/pump outs. If that was the case, which one would you be opting towards?

Thanks, Niklaus

Don't bother, it will just end up inside a tanker with all sorts.

The tanker goes to field where it is drilled under the soil surface, it is disposed of a cheaply as possible.

Edited by LadyG

4 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Don't bother, it will just end up inside a tanker with all sorts.

The tanker goes to field where it is drilled under the soil surface, it is disposed of a cheaply as possible.

All the more reason to use environmentally friendly products in the loo

Hey,

The downside of the cassette is the smell when emptying it, and also that is has to use more chemicals than your standard household toilet. I would like to try and be as enviromenatly friendly as well. I am aware it is possible to get more eco friendly chemicals for cassettes/pump outs. If that was the case, which one would you be opting towards?

Thanks, Niklaus

We use a cheapy  bio washing liquid in both the pump out and the Porta Potti. It isn’t too bad when emptying to be honest. But bare in mind it is mine and the wife’s deposits, so to be expected.? ASDAs own brand of washing liquid is good, but any is okay. Certainly better, we have found, than Blue, odurloss and other expensive products that are/were available.

56 minutes ago, NB 'Wrong 'Uns' said:

Hello again,

Thanks, Niklaus

I thought they had a cassette. Or rather they did when their boat was built.

Edit Ah so they changed.

Edited by The Happy Nomad
Watched the vid.