Windiest Marina Table....

robtheplod

Featured Posts

47 minutes ago, magpie patrick said:

I moored at Saul with Ripple, 62 foot narrow boat with a lot of cabin side (semi-trad) and four right angle turns to get out of the marina followed by a 180 degree turn if you wanted to go to Gloucester.

The winds could get up a bit and I once proudly came in after doing the full monty - U turn, right into the Stroudwater Canal, right into the marina, left towards my pier and then right turn onto it without incident in the crosswind.

Then I realised I was on the wrong pier, mine was four boat widths away...  

I find Saul isn't too bad, did a but of show boating turning our boat round in the wind by reversing off the mooring and letting the wind catch the back end which whipped it round the I reversed straight back in to the mooring. Only problem was there was only one person watching.

I did get caught by the wind at the junction one time and got pinned to the bank by the old lock, the bridge keeper had to open the bridge so I could reverse back to get off the wall.

40 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

I find Saul isn't too bad, did a but of show boating turning our boat round in the wind by reversing off the mooring and letting the wind catch the back end which whipped it round the I reversed straight back in to the mooring. Only problem was there was only one person watching.

I did get caught by the wind at the junction one time and got pinned to the bank by the old lock, the bridge keeper had to open the bridge so I could reverse back to get off the wall.

We have the added interest of a popular restaurant with balcony opposite our mooring. We had a year round audience watching us get blown around the marina ?

It's often windy at West Stockwith when other locations  seem relatively calm.

Possibly the worst wind conditions I have seen  were at Hull - the rain was horizontal ! Basic UK wind speeds below ......

Calculation of wind peak velocity pressure - UK National Annex

Edited by MartynG

Not so much a marina tale but last year when we were in Salthouse Dock, Liverpool, the Sunday of our stay was very windy. Midday a boat came in from the Albert Dock to moor and, whilst attempting to swing round and come in stern first just got completely caught out by the wind. Not helped by the various pedlows and canoes mind you. Well, a woman off a nearby boat stood on the jetty and started shouting ( very loudly ) words of "advice "After 10 minutes of this the guy on the boat had had enough and told this woman, in no uncertain terms, to "stop shouting and ****** OFF !. Fortunately, with a few of us using some brute strength and ignorance we got him in. Never saw the woman again.

17 hours ago, magpie patrick said:

I moored at Saul with Ripple, 62 foot narrow boat with a lot of cabin side (semi-trad) and four right angle turns to get out of the marina followed by a 180 degree turn if you wanted to go to Gloucester.

The winds could get up a bit and I once proudly came in after doing the full monty - U turn, right into the Stroudwater Canal, right into the marina, left towards my pier and then right turn onto it without incident in the crosswind.

Then I realised I was on the wrong pier, mine was four boat widths away...  

I did a very similar thing, in Weltonfield, many years ago. Had to start all over again, with witnesses, for some reason my partner stayed down below throughout the remooring.

All marinas have problems the worst I have had is Tattenhall where it was occasionally required when returning from a trip to moor in any berth you could get into and leave the keys, when the wind dropped the marina staff would return your boat to it's berth, they also tried to only have one boat in every pair of jetties to save you from hitting another boat. This was a few years ago and the trees which then were only 10 foot high will be a bit taller. Ventnor and Calcutt are very sheltered in comparison with many others and yes I have had a few years in them.

• 1 month later...

I tried to get off the side the other day, having organised some passers by to operate the swing bridge:  too late, I asked them to wait 'til I was ready , by the time I got sorted, we had quite a crowd, and had to re-open the road!

The stern was absolutely opposite the bolllard, and reversing with or without a spring had the effect of clinging to the side like a limpet mine. It took a big boathook and a bit of assistance from the shore to get out, I have a big tyre at the back to allow me to crunch the side, but 'pivoting' does not work if wind is perverse.

Popping in to Brinklow to sort out a problem, on a very windy day, was challenging. It took three hefty chaps to hold the boat against the bank before we could secure.

As far as other marinas are concerned, most are in open locations due to their nature. But having had moorings at Yelvertoft , Crick and Dunchurch, the latter was by far the worst for wind. It is a very open location, with no shelter and exposed to the prevailing winds. Boats circling the islands trying to berth,  including us, is a common sight. You can travel the canal in relative calm, only to turn into the circular entrance pool to be met by howling gale.

I love watching people try to wind in the mill pool at Sileby when its windy especially from the west and if theres some fresh in the river!! The trick is to go clockwise and let the weir streams help you turn. Go anti-clockwise and you hit every boat moored on the jetties. Our current mooring is right on the most easterly part of the pool so getting out in a westerly gale will be fun but the weir streams will help.

I went into Barton Turn once and have vowed never to go in again. Whoever did the layout took no account whatsoever of the wind and the effect it can have on boats especially those going to the service berths. On the otherhand the service berths at Streethay Wharf are nice and easy to get to

41 minutes ago, blackrose said:

Perhaps part of the issue is some people's insistence on moving their boats in high winds and giving themselves problems? Just a thought...

Not everyone has the luxury of choosing when they move their boat....  If you're at Yelvertoft then times for services are limited and if you've just got the weekend you can't wait for ideal conditions.... I often give the residents a good chuckle when I'm out!

4 hours ago, Richard T said:

I love watching people try to wind in the mill pool at Sileby when its windy especially from the west and if theres some fresh in the river!! The trick is to go clockwise and let the weir streams help you turn.

Only a complete idiot would reverse down the lock with the river on red boards, with only 1 cylinder working, in the dark, with a gale force wind blowing......

Just so he wasnt caught moored in a lock for another week!

1 hour ago, blackrose said:

Perhaps part of the issue is some people's insistence on moving their boats in high winds and giving themselves problems? Just a thought...

If you waited for a day with no wind at Burton Waters you would never move your boat! 

• 1 month later...

We've just moved from Yelvertoft to Ventnor so will be interesting to see what the difference is. I've just checked on elevation and Ventnor is 93m above sea level and Yelvertoft is 133m so in theory might be better???  plus more trees around Ventnor... here's hoping!!