unidentified locks

magpie patrick

Featured Posts

Three pictures of locks - the two pcitures with several boats in the locks are, I think, the same lock - those two were taken by Mum, the other one is a postcard, but I think it's caption (on the back) may be wrong

I've a few tentative ideas but I don't know where they are, which is unusual for me - I've considered and dismissed a few options though

Any ideas? Thanks In advance

locks on postcards 001 (2).jpg

locks on postcards 001 (3).jpg

locks on postcards 001 (4).jpg

25 minutes ago, Timx said:

So it's on the bridgewater and Taunton canal then.

Thanks, although I don't think the flottila is on the B&T because (i) the paddle gear is wrong and (ii) I know that canal quite well and can't think of a lock with a railway bridge or similar upstream of it.

Edited to add - I'm no longer sure it's a bridge, but it's definitely a built up area and the B&T locks are not in built up areas except for Firepool, which has a sharp bend above it, and Newtown, which is level 

They're on different canals btw - he locks are far too different to be on the same canal

15 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Top one looks like Higherland Lock 32 on the L&L at Gargrave.

https://canalplan.org.uk/place/92bf

https://maps.app.goo.gl/m8DLLRMCWo5DLz6p8

Do Streetview from the bridge.

Nailed it, thank you - the caption says Greenberfield Top Lock and I knew it wasn't that - Greenberfield is one of the few flights on the L&L that I know well

Edited by magpie patrick

2 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

I fancy the Basingstoke Canal for the other two pictures, but can't say which lock.

Did Mum go on the caracruiser rally there in 1990?

Not on a boat but she could well have been at it! I hadn't thought of the Basingstoke so it's a possible

22 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

I fancy the Basingstoke Canal for the other two pictures, but can't say which lock.

Did Mum go on the caracruiser rally there in 1990?

I've just realised the top paddles are gate paddles, so probably not Basingstoke

Chelmsford? 

Well, If the top image is lock 32, then with the bottom one and the railway line- Stegneck was near a railway bridge.

Another question- Is this a challenge to get as many boats as possible into a canal lock  on the L & L, assuming it is the L & L that is ?  

6 hours ago, Philip said:

The line of the canal and depth of the lock are very similar, but different building landscape on the left.

Yes, but I have an unfair advantage - we moored there at Wheelton Boat Club for some years, so I know it very well.

The road and fence and boatyard on the right are different too. :)

9 minutes ago, Heartland said:

Another question- Is this a challenge to get as many boats as possible into a canal lock  on the L & L, assuming it is the L & L that is ?  

It's only the top picture that is on the L&L.  The other two photos definitely are not, and are still unidentified.

5 hours ago, Cheese said:

According to their (rather broken) website https://snbc.org.uk/?page_id=14 Somerset Navigators Boat Club were only formed in 1991, so it has to be more recent.

Fair enough.  It was only a wild guess as I have never seen 3 caracruisers together at once so guessed at the rally thing.

It could of course not be on the Basingstoke either, which would make the Basingstoke rally even more unlikey!

So when would the ladder have been added to Higherland lock? The pic. in the OP looks 1960's No ladder evident.

The bollards are different too. I'd always assumed the bollards and ladders were original features but perhaps not?

https://canalplan.uk/photo/ee_94p - ladder evident. Along with different bollards.

Photograph taken by Charles Polkey on 16 April 2009 and was added to the database on Tuesday the 22nd of March, 2011

ccasa.pngLicensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike licence, see the terms of use

Higherland lock.jpg

Edited by The Happy Nomad

3 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

So when would the ladder have been added to Higherland lock? The pic. in the OP looks 1960's No ladder evident.

The bollards are different too. I'd always assumed the bollards and ladders were original features but perhaps not?

https://canalplan.uk/photo/ee_94p - ladder evident. Along with different bollards.

@Pluto will probably know.

Bottom picture - possibly Springfield lock on the Chelmer and Blackwater Navigation?

Also re the top picture, I'm fairly sure it is more recent than the 60s...the picture quality/colour suggests probably late 70s and also I think that type of paddle gear was brought in in the 70s.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Philip said:

Bottom picture - possibly Springfield lock on the Chelmer and Blackwater Navigation?

Also re the top picture, I'm fairly sure it is more recent than the 60s...the picture quality/colour suggests probably late 70s and also I think that type of paddle gear was brought in in the 70s.

You are right about Springfield lock:

Taken in 1992 during it's restoration by the IWA

cb3.jpg

In 2005:

cb4 2005.JPG

Edited by Tim Lewis
Change
  • Greenie 1

On 11/06/2020 at 23:40, Philip said:

First thought with the top picture was Johnson's Hillock top lock.

That's what it claims to be on the back but there are several minor things wrong, there should be a road and a fence to the right for example - JH top is one of very few on the L&L that I know well

10 minutes ago, Tim Lewis said:

You are right about Springfield lock:

Thank you - Mum and Dad often visited friends near Chelmsford so I thought it might be

8 minutes ago, magpie patrick said:

That's what it claims to be on the back but there are several minor things wrong, there should be a road and a fence to the right for example - JH top is one of very few on the L&L that I know well

You said Greenberfield not Johnson's Hillock earlier in the thread!

9 minutes ago, magpie patrick said:

<Snip>

Thank you - Mum and Dad often visited friends near Chelmsford so I thought it might be

I am assuming that the photos were taken during the IWA National Trailboat Festival in 1993

8 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

You said Greenberfield not Johnson's Hillock earlier in the thread!

Yes I did and it does - I need to get out more!

Edited to add - yes, it says Greenberfield - my first thoughts were "no, it's Johnson's Hillock" - then I though "no it's not"... which was when I posted it here. 

There had been two false identifications before I posted - one of them mine! 

I need coffee... 

6 minutes ago, Tim Lewis said:

I am assuming that the photos were taken during the IWA National Trailboat Festival in 1993

Probably, although they are undated

Edited by magpie patrick

23 minutes ago, Tim Lewis said:

That means I was on the right track with the three caacruisers, just on the wrong canal in the wrong year.

Not even close to a cigar! :)