Limehouse or Hertford Union

Richardcn

Featured Posts

Hi All

Which is the better (or preferred) route when heading out of the smoke for the Lea? Canalplan suggests that it's approx 3 miles and 1.5hrs longer and with 2 more locks via Limehouse but I've noted that the Hertford seems to suffer from empty pounds from time to time.

(I corrected the difference because I had been comparing a longer journey with other variations)

Thanks

Edited by Richardcn
So it makes sense

Wrong way round.

3 locks via Hertford Union, 5 via Limehouse.

On the other hand, very handy canalside Tesco at Three Mills if you go via the Lee, if you can moor.

Edited by pearley

The Olympic park route is incredibly weedy as is Limehouse cut at the moment. 

I've not been down the Hertford cut for a while but if coming out of somewhere like Islington en route to the river Lea ie out of London then the Hertford cut is certainly the quicker option.

Obviously if you were further down below Mile end lock then the other option might make more sense but it's down and up whereas Hertford union/ducketts cut is just down so bound to be quicker. 

Edited by magnetman

9 hours ago, magnetman said:

The Olympic park route is incredibly weedy as is Limehouse cut at the moment. 

I've not been down the Hertford cut for a while but if coming out of somewhere like Islington en route to the river Lea ie out of London then the Hertford cut is certainly the quicker option.

Obviously if you were further down below Mile end lock then the other option might make more sense but it's down and up whereas Hertford union/ducketts cut is just down so bound to be quicker. 

Thanks. I guess I could nip along the Hertford on the bike to check for any problems before committing. It sounds like no contest otherwise.

18 hours ago, Richardcn said:

Hi All

Which is the better (or preferred) route when heading out of the smoke for the Lea? Canalplan suggests that it's approx 3 miles and 1.5hrs longer and with 2 more locks via Limehouse but I've noted that the Hertford seems to suffer from empty pounds from time to time.

(I corrected the difference because I had been comparing a longer journey with other variations)

Thanks

By avoiding Limehouse you are missing out on a unique mooring experience where you will be rubbing shoulders with million pound yachts and getting lovely views across the Thames.

In normal times you will also be missing visiting one of London’s best pubs, The Grapes, and within a short walk another in the Prospect of Whitby. There also some interesting riverside walks.

As others have said take the opportunity of doing the Bow Back loops. There are two, one of which requires the booking of City Mill and Carpenters Road locks. Carpenter Road is a unique lock not to be missed.

I have boated the Limehouse Cut and City Mill Loop within the last week or or so and although there was weed it didn’t stop us.

You can always do the Hertford Union on the way back. Ignore social media posts. Empty pounds are rare and the ones affected are easily filled if it does happen.

Limehouse

Limehouse Basin.jpg

City Mill River Loop

183 City Mill River on Atropos14th May 2020.JPG

Edited by Tim Lewis
Change

Limehouse is quite pleasant yes. You'll see a couple of my boats if you go that way however they are not million pound yachts. Just scruffy high quality English canal barges. As someone who glides around Limehouse marina in my dinghy most days I am struggling to work out which of the boats if any are worth a "million pounds". 

Edited by magnetman

I've done both and enjoyed both, although the first bit of the Limehouse Cut south of Bow Locks isn't that exciting. Didn't have any problems with the Hertford Union, one of the middle pounds was a bit low but got through fine, last time I walked through there was plenty of water, although it was pre return of general navigation and some people were playing a piano, on a boat, in one of the locks... ?

1 hour ago, Jonkx said:

I've done both and enjoyed both, although the first bit of the Limehouse Cut south of Bow Locks isn't that exciting. Didn't have any problems with the Hertford Union, one of the middle pounds was a bit low but got through fine, last time I walked through there was plenty of water, although it was pre return of general navigation and some people were playing a piano, on a boat, in one of the locks... ?

Oh that's excellent!

On 07/06/2020 at 11:14, magnetman said:

Limehouse is quite pleasant yes. You'll see a couple of my boats if you go that way however they are not million pound yachts. Just scruffy high quality English canal barges. As someone who glides around Limehouse marina in my dinghy most days I am struggling to work out which of the boats if any are worth a "million pounds". 

I think the the poster of that might have gotten confused with St Katherine's dock? That does have million pound boats in it.

RE low pounds in the Hertford cut...The pound in question is easily refilled. There is a very interesting story about the poor original engineering behind why it happens. If it is low it *usually* isn't because some idiot didn't close up the locks.

6 hours ago, Dave123 said:

I think the the poster of that might have gotten confused with St Katherine's dock? That does have million pound boats in it.

RE low pounds in the Hertford cut...The pound in question is easily refilled. There is a very interesting story about the poor original engineering behind why it happens. If it is low it *usually* isn't because some idiot didn't close up the locks.

No, Tim knows the difference between Limehouse and St Kats...