Norman Mitchell 1944 - 2020

Featured Posts

It is with shock and great sadness that I learned that our good friend Norman Mitchell died suddenly on Wednesday from a heart attack.

He will be best known and always remembered by so very many as the Commentator for many years at The Braunston Historic Boat Rally, and in the earlier days of August Bank Holiday historic narrow boat weekends at The Samuel Barlow at Alvecote.

Informative, always witty and amusing, and not really politically correct, Norman's commentaries were the centre of the boat parades, which in themselves were the centre of these events.

Norman was an electrical engineer and recently retired chairman of the the Gloucester firm of LC Mitchell, founded by his grandfather in 1905. His interest in canals and canal boats were wide ranging from the Historic Narrow Boat Club for which he was the representative for South Wales & the Severn, the Russell Newbery Register of which he was a past chairman and the Commercial Boat Operators Association and doubtless much, much more.

I hope that others will now contribute to this topic, filling in all that I have inevitably left out as I am sure you will have as many lovely stories to tell of Norman as he had of us!

Our thoughts, of course are with Pauline and all his very many friends and colleagues.

Sad days

James

• Greenie 3
  • Sad 2

I only knew Norman for a few years. I knew OF him through being a visitor to the Braunston bash for many years, enjoying his commentaries and seemingly endless fund of information, epithets and references to "40 foot springers" When I later became involved in the Braunston parade team, I got to know him better. I quickly came to realise what a knowledgeable, friendly and witty man he was. He will be sadly missed and the cut will be a poorer place without him.

• Greenie 1

James,

I've only just seen this - so sad - another big loss to the system and the old values he will be greatly missed - Lynne will make contact with Pauline I'm sure.

EDIT - I'm just reflecting on the incredible amount of knowledge which will be lost with his passing......

Edited by Halsey