Tewkesbury to North Kilworth - canal journey planner?

Jacsprat

Featured Posts

Hello all! Hope you are cosy and warm in your boats. 

I'm planning to move the little boat I recently bought from Tewkesbury to North Kilworth in about a month's time. I'm a total newbie and will be single-handing for the most part. I've used CanalPlanAC to plot the route and to get an idea about total journey time. I'm presuming it's based on a boat with at least one crew. Can anyone enlighten me as to the general accuracy of this journey planner or recommend another method to calculate? Even better, has anyone done this journey or close to it and can tell me how long it took? I know it's a bit of a 'how long is a piece of string' thing, but simply trying to get the big picture. I only have 11 days to get it there!

Thank you, 

Jac

Canalplan gives a good outline of journey times for the average boater. There are default speed on certain types of waterways and lock time settings which you can alter.

I tend to find that over long distances can get inside the total journey time comfortably.....especially on routes with narrow locks.

Very long days and luckily meeting a good crew on another boat in the 2nd lock at Hatton gave me a 3 day Tewkesbury to Braunston time, Kilworth is an easy day from there.

Is the Avon fully open yet, it was trashed in the Winter floods and I'm not sure Covid19 has been volunteer friendly time

Edited by matty40s

2 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Canalplan gives a good outline of journey times for the average boater. There are default speed on certain types of waterways and lock time settings which you can alter.

I tend to find that over long distances can get inside the total journey time comfortably.....especially on routes with narrow locks.

Very long days and luckily meeting a good crew on another boat in the 2nd lock at Hatton gave me a 3 day Tewkesbury to Braunston time, Kilworth is an easy day from there.

Is the Avon fully open yet, it was trashed in the Winter floods and I'm not sure Covid19 has been volunteer friendly time

Blimey! Good to know - thanks Matty! Journey planner gave me much longer time than that with fairly long days. Yes, the Avon got pretty trashed and a couple of locks were inoperable. I think they've got it mostly in hand now, and hopefully within another month, all will be navigable. Keeping a close eye on their website and here for first hand info.

Canalplan has customizable settings so you can choose how fast you get along, work locks etc. Not much help if it is your first trip.

For the two of us I would reckon on 50 hours from Tewkesbury to Kilworth  with a fairly deep 60ft.

Eleven days is enough time, even on your own.  You have picked a heavily locked route though.  I would think something like Tewkesbury, Evesham, Stratford, Wilmcote, Kingswood , Warwick, Long  Itchington, Braunston,  Watford bottom, North K  would do it without killing you.

Longish days on the river  so you might want to break that up more.  You will need an Avon Navigation Trust licence from Tewkesbury to Stratford.  Check their website as there have been flood problems which may still be being fixed.

Try and get some help from Hatton to Stockton top.  The locks are OK on your own, but much easier with 2+.  If on your own just work one side of the lock, it saves much  work and costs little time.

Be aware of the Watford staircase opening hours.

Matty is a professional movista.  Trying to keep up with his times is not recommended as a newbie.

N

Edited by BEngo
  • Love 1

Just now, Rob-M said:

I expect Matty's 3 days were extremely long summer days boating during the hours of daylight.

I would have said 4 days Tewkesbury to Braunston.

I dont recommend doing my journey if you have 9days to play with......enjoy it (I did, but in my own way ?).

It was early April, with the river as low as it gets and was let through the Avon Lock at 9am, quick lunch stop in Evesham and then moored above Wier Brake Lock at sunset. 6am next morning start resulted in getting to Kingswood Junction well after dark at 10.30pm. Up bright and early for a 5.30am start, reached Hatton to find 2 lads just setting off in the 2nd lock....taking their boat to London....we had a good method worked out, and was sat in the Mill House at Braunston for an absolutely shockingly bad dinner at 9pm....complained by email to Marstons head office before hitting the pillow.

• Greenie 2
  • Happy 1

There is a difference between what is feasible and what is enjoyable.

I've single handed the Avon end to end in two pleasant days. Three would be nicer. I've also done Stratford to Kingswood in a day with a crew and we were utterly knackered. Two or three days is better. Single handed, the Wilmcote flight would be hard work. Two or three days onwards to Kilworth is fine. Hatton (indeed all of that part of the GU) has been surprisingly easy whenever I've done it, the locks work like they say in the books.

• Greenie 1

4 hours ago, Jacsprat said:

Blimey! Good to know - thanks Matty! Journey planner gave me much longer time than that with fairly long days. Yes, the Avon got pretty trashed and a couple of locks were inoperable. I think they've got it mostly in hand now, and hopefully within another month, all will be navigable. Keeping a close eye on their website and here for first hand info.

I was looking at the ANT site earlier, their Covid 19 update No3 dated 13th May. They seem to have got all the flood damage problems sorted & at the moment are operating in the same way as CRT, essential travel only, no overnight, need to book passage through some locks 24hrs in advance.

https://www.avonnavigationtrust.org/covid-19-information/

• Greenie 1

You don’t say if the boat is your home but if it is not then I assume you know that you currently can not stay overnight on the boat.  I guess you may be banking on the restrictions on second homes being lifted early July, but how things are going at moment I personally would not bank on that.

I would say that the 4 days Tewkesbury to Braunston, is a hard 4 days single handed.  If it were me and I wanted to do this reasonably fast I would plan on 3 days Tewkesbury to Stratford, 2 days Stratford to top of Hatton, 1 day top Hatton to far side of Leamington, 1 day Leam to Braunston.  I make that 7 days, and I would plan on say 8 for that bit and perhaps allow 10 days for the full trip.  It’s a lot of locks and will be hard days single handed.

• Greenie 1

50 minutes ago, john6767 said:

You don’t say if the boat is your home but if it is not then I assume you know that you currently can not stay overnight on the boat.  I guess you may be banking on the restrictions on second homes being lifted early July, but how things are going at moment I personally would not bank on that.

I would say that the 4 days Tewkesbury to Braunston, is a hard 4 days single handed.  If it were me and I wanted to do this reasonably fast I would plan on 3 days Tewkesbury to Stratford, 2 days Stratford to top of Hatton, 1 day top Hatton to far side of Leamington, 1 day Leam to Braunston.  I make that 7 days, and I would plan on say 8 for that bit and perhaps allow 10 days for the full trip.  It’s a lot of locks and will be hard days single handed.

Yes John - you are right! I AM banking on restrictions being lifted. My boat is indeed my home now, but I work as a live-in care worker two weeks of the month in Norfolk. I'm trying to save myself a bundle in Tewkesbury marina fees by moving to NK, and also trying to cut my travel time to work. Given my notice at Tewkes for July 8th. Fingers crossed. If it goes pear-shaped, I'll beg for mercy at Tewkes and stay on until we can go without hassle. Thank you VERY much for your route advice. As easy as I can make it for myself on my maiden voyage, the better. 

When single handing, I find Canalplan pretty accurate. I tend to start pretty early, have proper stops for breakfast and lunch, and stop by 5pm, to enjoy the evening. I tend to find that I make mistakes if I don't take proper breaks. Take your time, and work out your own system esp for going uphill.

• Love 1

7 minutes ago, Scholar Gypsy said:

When single handing, I find Canalplan pretty accurate. I tend to start pretty early, have proper stops for breakfast and lunch, and stop by 5pm, to enjoy the evening. I tend to find that I make mistakes if I don't take proper breaks. Take your time, and work out your own system esp for going uphill.

There’s a lot of uphill in that trip, there’s only 23 locks downhill!

Also worth remembering that the Avon locks are generally... err... characterful. Not a great place to start for a lock virgin. Single handing in a narrowboat I found one way of doing them (there are others) was to tie the stern line to a bollard towards the tail of the lock, and take the bow line forward to the gate where you can control the boat. Let the paddles up gently and concentrate on holding the boat in place with the bow line. The lock design is such that the usual technique of opening the paddles on the side next to the boat which should hold it to the wall doesn't (usually) work. And then there is Pershore lock, the deepest one, with the single side paddle.  Not forgetting Wyre lock, diamond shaped, with some interesting cross-currents by the entrance.

Another recommended technique is to hang around until you can share the locks with a boat with a competent crew.

• Greenie 1
  • Love 1

4 hours ago, Jacsprat said:

Yes John - you are right! I AM banking on restrictions being lifted. My boat is indeed my home now, but I work as a live-in care worker two weeks of the month in Norfolk. I'm trying to save myself a bundle in Tewkesbury marina fees by moving to NK, and also trying to cut my travel time to work. Given my notice at Tewkes for July 8th. Fingers crossed. If it goes pear-shaped, I'll beg for mercy at Tewkes and stay on until we can go without hassle. Thank you VERY much for your route advice. As easy as I can make it for myself on my maiden voyage, the better. 

As your boat is your primary residence then restrictions are already lifted for you. The Avon is navigable for essential pre-booked journeys (24 hr notice Mon - Fri) and moving moorings for a key worker must qualify as essential, Ring 0300 111 2010 to speak to the friendly team at Avon Navigation Trust. CRT is fully open for your route and there are some very helpful people on this forum who might offer assistance at locks along your way if you ask.

Edited by nikvah
correct tel No.
  • Love 1

5 hours ago, nikvah said:

As your boat is your primary residence then restrictions are already lifted for you. The Avon is navigable for essential pre-booked journeys (24 hr notice Mon - Fri) and moving moorings for a key worker must qualify as essential, Ring 0300 111 2010 to speak to the friendly team at Avon Navigation Trust. CRT is fully open for your route and there are some very helpful people on this forum who might offer assistance at locks along your way if you ask.

Thank you! I did wonder but was hoping I wouldn't need to check if I qualified for essential travel. By the sound of it, restrictions on the rivers and canals could drag on - surprising since CCers now have to keep moving again.

7 hours ago, Onewheeler said:

Also worth remembering that the Avon locks are generally... err... characterful. Not a great place to start for a lock virgin. Single handing in a narrowboat I found one way of doing them (there are others) was to tie the stern line to a bollard towards the tail of the lock, and take the bow line forward to the gate where you can control the boat. Let the paddles up gently and concentrate on holding the boat in place with the bow line. The lock design is such that the usual technique of opening the paddles on the side next to the boat which should hold it to the wall doesn't (usually) work. And then there is Pershore lock, the deepest one, with the single side paddle.  Not forgetting Wyre lock, diamond shaped, with some interesting cross-currents by the entrance.

Another recommended technique is to hang around until you can share the locks with a boat with a competent crew.

I have been concerned about this! Thank you very much for the tips!! 

I don't think CC ers were ever a great risk in the big scheme of things, but giving them a bit of slack allowed time to resolve any problems.

I think life will be much less restrictive out of the marina, more your own home rather than everyone else's.

Edited by LadyG

14 hours ago, Onewheeler said:

You may get help from the ANT team at your 1st lock and at the deepest and diamond locks, see 11/5 update on their website: https://us18.campaign-archive.com/?u=dd70487f491f61a9edd4e5105&id=df0f2da722

"To try to control boat passages through locks in support of the government’s instructions, Tewkesbury, Strensham, Pershore, Wyre, Evesham and Trinity locks are closed to normal traffic, however they can be booked for essential passages. Boats should book a passage 24 hours in advance by ringing 0300 111 2010. A team will then be sent to the relevant site to open the lock at an agreed time (Monday to Friday between 9.00am and 4.00pm)."

Edited by nikvah
corrected date
  • Greenie 1

19 minutes ago, nikvah said:

You may get help from the ANT team at your 1st lock and at the deepest and diamond locks, see 11/5 update on their website: https://us18.campaign-archive.com/?u=dd70487f491f61a9edd4e5105&id=df0f2da722

"To try to control boat passages through locks in support of the government’s instructions, Tewkesbury, Strensham, Pershore, Wyre, Evesham and Trinity locks are closed to normal traffic, however they can be booked for essential passages. Boats should book a passage 24 hours in advance by ringing 0300 111 2010. A team will then be sent to the relevant site to open the lock at an agreed time (Monday to Friday between 9.00am and 4.00pm)."

Thank you for that. Hopefully we'll be up and running on the Avon without the need to pre-book - it'll be difficult for me to predict my arrivals. On the other hand, as you say, I'd have a team to help me get through them! Six of one, half a dozen of the other!

On 06/06/2020 at 17:09, sharpness said:

I was looking at the ANT site earlier, their Covid 19 update No3 dated 13th May. They seem to have got all the flood damage problems sorted & at the moment are operating in the same way as CRT, essential travel only, no overnight, need to book passage through some locks 24hrs in advance.

https://www.avonnavigationtrust.org/covid-19-information/

I came here looking for advice / experience of the Avon in the current situation. My understanding is that the CRT position is no longer essential travel only - as of June 1st their advice is

"Our navigations are now open in full, subject to some exceptions, and you can go on longer journeys."

My boat is my primary residence, hence I can go where I like and stop the night wherever I want on CRT waters. Which is what friends of mine are now doing. Yet ANT updated their advice yesterday and it says "In line with CRT, including the River Severn, the latest government advice means that passages through locks is still restricted to limited travel only."

That doesn't appear to be in line with CRT - yes the Severn locks require booking because they aren't boater operated and CRT are operating with reduced staff. However ANT still say that many boater operated locks are closed to normal traffic and require booking, which isn't in line with CRT at all.

i was hoping to take a trip up the Avon in a couple of weeks, but it seems the position of ANT will make it a pain - I've got to work out in advance when I need to use the locks and can't change my plans. It's not an essential trip, but as a liveaboard government advice is that it doesn't have to be - do I have to justify the reasons for my movement to ANT in order to get them to open locks for me?

7 minutes ago, aracer said:

I came here looking for advice / experience of the Avon in the current situation. My understanding is that the CRT position is no longer essential travel only - as of June 1st their advice is

"Our navigations are now open in full, subject to some exceptions, and you can go on longer journeys."

My boat is my primary residence, hence I can go where I like and stop the night wherever I want on CRT waters. Which is what friends of mine are now doing. Yet ANT updated their advice yesterday and it says "In line with CRT, including the River Severn, the latest government advice means that passages through locks is still restricted to limited travel only."

That doesn't appear to be in line with CRT - yes the Severn locks require booking because they aren't boater operated and CRT are operating with reduced staff. However ANT still say that many boater operated locks are closed to normal traffic and require booking, which isn't in line with CRT at all.

i was hoping to take a trip up the Avon in a couple of weeks, but it seems the position of ANT will make it a pain - I've got to work out in advance when I need to use the locks and can't change my plans. It's not an essential trip, but as a liveaboard government advice is that it doesn't have to be - do I have to justify the reasons for my movement to ANT in order to get them to open locks for me?

Ye, it is a pain. I was disappointed to get that ANT email yesterday. I'm moving to a new marina in the midlands to be closer to work in three week's time and only have a limited amount of time to get there. Booking 5 locks in advance, M-F between certain hours is a big added stress (first time I'm navigating in my boat off the river - total newbie). I think the best advice is to ring ANT and feel out the situation. 

On 06/06/2020 at 19:24, Jacsprat said:

Have you thought about transport overland - worth a look if this journey has the potential to be a task rather than a pleasure

Have you thought to join RCR to give you additional peace of mind that the boat won't let you down 1/2 way

As I get older I become more risk averse but in these times don't be too optimistic as all the usual help/backup simply isn't there.

In general terms I would say go for it and enjoy it but if you have other constraints explore your options .........

• Greenie 1

8 minutes ago, aracer said:

CRT to a degree have to be aligned to what the Government say as ultimately they are a public body funded in the majority by the state. They also have the obligation to uphold the law in terms of movement of boats without home moorings.

The ANT is a small private organisation that is funded almost exclusively through the tolls it raises and given the impact Covid-19 will have on their income I think their approach is entirely reasonable irrespective of the status of the boater. I’m not sure they are under any obligation to allow any boater to use their built infrastructure at all.

JP

• Greenie 2

8 minutes ago, Jacsprat said:

Ye, it is a pain. I was disappointed to get that ANT email yesterday. I'm moving to a new marina in the midlands to be closer to work in three week's time and only have a limited amount of time to get there. Booking 5 locks in advance, M-F between certain hours is a big added stress (first time I'm navigating in my boat off the river - total newbie). I think the best advice is to ring ANT and feel out the situation. 

You could always go via the Severn, only then have to book Tewkesbury lock and Diglis before getting on to the canal at Worcester.

• Greenie 1

6 minutes ago, Captain Pegg said:

CRT to a degree have to be aligned to what the Government say as ultimately they are a public body funded in the majority by the state. They also have the obligation to uphold the law in terms of movement of boats without home moorings.

The ANT is a small private organisation that is funded almost exclusively through the tolls it raises and given the impact Covid-19 will have on their income I think their approach is entirely reasonable irrespective of the status of the boater. I’m not sure they are under any obligation to allow any boater to use their built infrastructure at all.

JP

3 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

You could always go via the Severn, only then have to book Tewkesbury lock and Diglis before getting on to the canal at Worcester.

True Rob - that is my back-up plan precisely. It'll add a day to my total journey and about 20 locks over the move, but still doable. Thank you!

Edited by Jacsprat

9 minutes ago, Halsey said:

Have you thought about transport overland - worth a look if this journey has the potential to be a task rather than a pleasure

Have you thought to join RCR to give you additional peace of mind that the boat won't let you down 1/2 way

As I get older I become more risk averse but in these times don't be too optimistic as all the usual help/backup simply isn't there.

In general terms I would say go for it and enjoy it but if you have other constraints explore your options .........

Yes, I can relate to the 'risk averse' issue. Transport overland is out of the question for price and hassle, but breakdown cover is on the cards. I expect I'll very much enjoy this trip despite getting past the Avon restrictions and having a bit of a time constraint. I can always find a temporary secure mooring along the way if I can't make it all the way to N Kilworth in one go.