Boat review for constant cruising retirement plan

Featured Posts

I posted a topic inquiring about head room in engine room/back cabin last week and received replies including reference to ARS hydraulic drive systems. This boat has this system and 6’5” headroom so certainly meets this requirement.

https://narrowboats.apolloduck.com/boat/stowe-hill-marine-70-traditional/630297

Although the ARS system has great head room advantage are there maintenance issues to be considered? the bow thruster is also linked to this system.

Also how does the Beta compare to a vintage engine, I’m sure it provides better horsepower and less maintenance, oil leaks etc. but with regards to the traditional sound and ambiance how would such an engine compare.

I would appreciate any other feedback from the experienced live aboard members on this boat as a constant cruiser as my own experience is limited to hire boats for holidays only.

Cheers Mick

Knowing the owner, this will have been very well maintained. The tug sounds like a cross between a Gardner 3LW and a tractor.

One of the later Stowe Hills so will not have the gas locker into water tank corrosion issues that earlier builds had.

I have had both JD engines in boats and currently have one with an ARS hydraulic drive. I think JD engines are great, they don't smoke and parts are cheap anywhere from an agricultural dealer, not that mine ever went wrong in over 10,000 miles of cruising on the continent and they are happy to run slow all day. Of course they sound like a tractor because they are the same engine. No funny stuff like cam belts to change either. As for the hydraulic drive that so far has been very good no gearbox, drive plates and alignment to worry about and depending on the age of the system you have full control of the speed so you can go very slow if you need to and if you hit anything with the prop you will not damage the transmission.

20 minutes ago, Mike Adams said:

I have had both JD engines in boats

Are there two kinds?

I remember there was an earlier model called a BD3 which was Ford-based whereas the JD3, as its initials suggest, is John Deere-based. There's a member on here who has a BD3, though I haven't seen any posts from him lately.

27 minutes ago, Mike Adams said:

I have had both JD engines in boats and currently have one with an ARS hydraulic drive. I think JD engines are great, they don't smoke and parts are cheap anywhere from an agricultural dealer, not that mine ever went wrong in over 10,000 miles of cruising on the continent and they are happy to run slow all day. Of course they sound like a tractor because they are the same engine. No funny stuff like cam belts to change either. As for the hydraulic drive that so far has been very good no gearbox, drive plates and alignment to worry about and depending on the age of the system you have full control of the speed so you can go very slow if you need to and if you hit anything with the prop you will not damage the transmission.

Is this ARS hydraulic drive a standard item for this engine with Beta servicing etc

@trackman who posts on here has a JD3 but with a traditional drive on his boat. He will be able to fill you in on the finer points of maintenance of this engine type. Good boats appear to be selling fast so if you are interested in this one move quickly. If you are unable to view yourself suggest that you get @matty40s to view on your behalf and report back.

1 hour ago, Athy said:

Are there two kinds?

I remember there was an earlier model called a BD3 which was Ford-based whereas the JD3, as its initials suggest, is John Deere-based. There's a member on here who has a BD3, though I haven't seen any posts from him lately.

The BD3 is owned by a poster called ditch something or other, I think he posts quite a lot ?.

..............Dave

1 minute ago, dmr said:

The BD3 is owned by a poster called ditch something or other, I think he posts quite a lot ?.

..............Dave

Ah yes - but we also have a "BD3 Bill" who used to moor near us when we were at Clattercote Wharf outside Cropredy.

2 hours ago, Mike Adams said:

I am surprised you say no smoke, mine has a moderate smoke issue and I know some of the more recent ones were quite bad, though one or two are good. I think its more of an issue with slow revving DI's in general rather than the JD3 in particular, though the JD3 is running slower than John Deere intended.  Otherwise a very good powerful engine. Does not sound as good as some proper vintage engines but much much better than a modern one. At low revs can produce quite a pleasing exhaust note.  Engine parts are available from John Deere but should not be needed except maybe an injector change at very high hours.  The Stanadyne pump is a fussy one so clean fuel is important. Very clean, almost zero oil leakage.

.................Dave

There was an article some years ago in Ww magazine about such a boat - indeed it may this one.

If  6' 5" is a show stopper then this boat is ideal (hence your query) For genuine travel absolutely everywhere in the system, then at 70 feet long whis may present insurbmountible problems.

OTOH it looks like incredible value at £79K.....

5 hours ago, Mick in Bangkok said:

Although the ARS system has great head room advantage are there maintenance issues to be considered? the bow thruster is also linked to this system.

The only maintenance mine has had is to change the oil filter, that is in 18 years. Mind yoou I only do between 500 and 700 hrs travel a year. The ARS is an unusual bow thruster but in my opinion one of the simplest desgines with no gearbox or bevel drive

Edited by ditchcrawler

12 minutes ago, dmr said:

I am surprised you say no smoke, mine has a moderate smoke issue and I know some of the more recent ones were quite bad, though one or two are good. I think its more of an issue with slow revving DI's in general rather than the JD3 in particular, though the JD3 is running slower than John Deere intended. 

To be fair my were genuine JD engines and the tickover was set to 800rpm. I think to slow speed tickover set by Beta is the main cause of the problem. The main problem with narrowboat engines is the power range required so a JD3 running at 800rpm would be to much for a narrow boat. That is why small engines (2l) with a high speed range,heavier flywheel and a big reduction gearbox are best otherwise you have to have a lump of old iron that smokes,leaks oil and you can't get bits for.

2 hours ago, Mick in Bangkok said:

s this ARS hydraulic drive a standard item for this engine with Beta servicing etc

The advantage of JD is you can get any agric engineer to service it and the hydraulics as well.not much to go wrong change oils, filters maybe hoses every ten years and you will not be paying marina prices.

19 minutes ago, Mike Adams said:

To be fair my were genuine JD engines and the tickover was set to 800rpm. I think to slow speed tickover set by Beta is the main cause of the problem. The main problem with narrowboat engines is the power range required so a JD3 running at 800rpm would be to much for a narrow boat. That is why small engines (2l) with a high speed range,heavier flywheel and a big reduction gearbox are best otherwise you have to have a lump of old iron that smokes,leaks oil and you can't get bits for.

Yes,  the John Deere engine idles at about 850 and runs up to about 2400, whilst in a narrowboat it idles at 450 and rarely gets above 800rpm, with a max at about 1200. The exhaust is totally clean when working hard on a river, but gets a bit smokey with slow canals and static battery charging. Its never been anything to worry about but now that everybody is hyper-sensitised to diesel exhaust smoke I can see potential for complaints from walkers/cyclists. Ours has got quite bad since the lockdown because it is doing nothing except charging the batteries.

.................Dave

23 minutes ago, Mike Adams said:

The advantage of JD is you can get any agric engineer to service it and the hydraulics as well.not much to go wrong change oils, filters maybe hoses every ten years and you will not be paying marina prices.

You don't need to find a agricultural engineer for a JD3 service, its only an oil and filter change and they are dead easy. The tappets need adjusting once in a while but its just like a big BMC or mini engine.  The injection pump is a bit tricky to get off but unless you have fuel contamination this should never happen.

.................Dave

1 minute ago, Mike Adams said:

I made up  little puller. It must still have it somewhere!

I made one too, but its still a fiddle working down a little hole right next to the water pump hose, and you have to be damn careful not to drop that washer into the engine.

We purchased our boat second hand with a very sick JD3, I looked at a rebuild but decided a new engine was a better option. Have still not worked out exactly how the old one got into such a sorry state but my best guess is that somebody dropped that washer into the doings.

..................Dave