Narrow boat sailaway

John Gibson

Featured Posts

45 minutes ago, John Gibson said:

Hi guys. 
I am new in the narrowboat world.

I would like to buy a mid trad sailaway and to fit out myself.

Could you please recommend a good narrowboat shell builder?

Colecraft.

3 minutes ago, John Gibson said:

For a sailaway narrowboat?
I want to buy only the shell.  50 feet 

no more than £25000-

A sailaway, means fitted with an engine etc etc and can be 'sailed away' under its own propulsion.

An empty shell with no engine etc should be fairly easy to find at £25k but allow another £10k for an engine and gearbox and ancilliaries, £2000 for insulation and about £8000-£10000 for lining out.

Edited by Alan de Enfield
  • Greenie 1

Colecraft is primarily a hull builder and when I bought mine they were producing about one per week. They have produced well over a thousand in the many decades they have been around.  They will listen to what you want and build it provided that it does not ask for something below their standard of quality. I strongly recommend that you visit their premises and talk to them, you will find it useful and helpful even if you decide not to go with them.  Their aftersales service is also good though they don't do hand-holding.

22 minutes ago, system 4-50 said:

Colecraft is primarily a hull builder and when I bought mine they were producing about one per week. They have produced well over a thousand in the many decades they have been around.  They will listen to what you want and build it provided that it does not ask for something below their standard of quality. I strongly recommend that you visit their premises and talk to them, you will find it useful and helpful even if you decide not to go with them.  Their aftersales service is also good though they don't do hand-holding.

Thank you for the advice 

9 hours ago, peterboat said:

Tyler Wilson for me ask yourself who's shells win Crick Crick boat show every year and it ain't Colecraft

Does the winner win on the quality of the hull alone or is this won on fitout as well?

Does Colecraft enter a boat in the competition?

I am curious, I don't know how Crick works.

36 minutes ago, PeterF said:

Two Hoots, last year's winner was on a Colecraft shell.

Once in a blue Moon it happens, but didnt Johnathon win best big boat with his Bragantine? https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwjzk8DBq-rpAhVpUBUIHXj7AbQQFjASegQIBRAB&url=https%3A%2F%2Ffinesseboats.co.uk%2F2019%2F05%2F29%2F2019-crick-show-wide-beam-winners%2F&usg=AOvVaw0WXEYQO9rIjLudtfGaRVCk

13 hours ago, peterboat said:

The public and boat owners, some boat owners know a thing or two about them 

Most seasoned boaters I know dont bother going to Crick any more and at a guess most of the people who look round dont have a clue what is below the water line

• Greenie 1