Watering can old style for painting

Cruiser_Boy

Featured Posts

You raise an interesting point. I’ve been asked many times to apportion value to painted ware and these days my reply is

” Whatever someone is willing to pay “. Brian has a long and noted association with Canals, becoming involved in the early 60s with the end of commercial boating with David Blagrove and is a well established transport artist whose works can be found in boatman’s Tom Foxon’s 3 memoirs of his time working commercially in the 50s. Brian deserves respect as a proper painter, imbued in the traditions, though his timeframe precludes the accolades given to such as Frank Nurser of Braunston, his protege Ron Hough, Bill Hodgson from the Potteries and Frank Jones of Leighton Buzzard, whose surviving works command high prices. If monetary value is your prime consideration, put it on eBay and let the market decide. You may be delighted....or disappointed. I just don’t know.......

Out of curiosity, I've just spent 1/2 hr looking at barge ware on e-bay.

What struck me was the barge stools.

All made to the same design woodwork, different paint styles.  All much the same price!

For the genuine old stools, were they made to the same pattern all over the system, or did different yards have different styles, of woodwork?

Bod.

Cabin stools were made by boatyards in the old days, in the main. Each yard probably had a standard pattern but would have built to a boater’s requirement, if asked. Many modern stools bear little resemblance to their forbears. The ones I make and paint are based on an old stool, though I don’t know which yard produced it.

2 hours ago, dave moore said:

Here’s one of mine

05E19D8A-6F29-4E89-AAD9-D6FEEC0F18BE.jpeg

This stool looks familiar ?

Here are a couple from my collection of 'boat tat', the first being painted by Ron Hough and the second not known to me :captain:

117169504_CabinStoolbyRonHough.jpg.8d640e9bf855a8fafb5e8c4649cfdff2.jpg

400392749_CabinStool(withlidclosed).jpg.85a9bacd7287499db07cbf212cec4d62.jpg485729005_CabinStool(withlidopen).jpg.08c0ee098d8eb7cac9f02a96a5cf9b8f.jpg

Edited by pete harrison

13 hours ago, dave moore said:

Cabin stools were made by boatyards in the old days, in the main. Each yard probably had a standard pattern but would have built to a boater’s requirement, if asked. Many modern stools bear little resemblance to their forbears. The ones I make and paint are based on an old stool, though I don’t know which yard produced it.

Here is one I made a few years ago from timber in the scrap bin, and had decorated by Ron Hough

809326131_MyStool03.jpg.3a95d14ccc198de2eb9b2dfe0e742af7.jpg

Edited by David Schweizer

they are all very good fantastic really ..when i made my mind up to live on my boat i got rid of a lot of stuff as you do .even all my canal ware . this fella came to my then house and gave me £300 for the canal ware .but what did amaze me was ,there was this beaten up old plate thinking he would not want it any way.  he did tell me who had painted it .but forgotten who he said it was .as it as been a long time ago . any way he gave me £100 for it alone .the paint work was shabby most of it had peeled of in fact .the fella who had my stuff came from the wolverhampton area .i very often think of that old plate