Re coating 2 pack epoxy

Featured Posts

4 hours ago, Danny Tudge said:

Just wondering why you need more pressure when applying the paint?

Rarely is the surface to be painted nicely smooth, particularly along the waterline, and especially after grit blasting..  A roller forces the paint into the roughness and pits more effectively than a brush.

A sprayer is the most effective tool, but not every dock can or will spray, for equipment cost, H&S or overspray reasons.

N

• Greenie 1

20 hours ago, Jinna said:

Thanks for the replies everybody, next question is the boat is currently moored on the Shropshire union at Shebdon, any recommendations for a yard to do the job? Doesn’t have to be close as long as I can live onboard during the job.

Industry Narrowboats at Stretton Wharf.

5 hours ago, Ex Brummie said:

Doesn’t have to be close as long as I can live onboard during the job.

You do not want to live onboard whilst the boat is grit blasted.  It is a filthy job and the sh1t will get everywhere if the boat is not very carefully masked off and every orifice taped up. Ventilation then becomes a safety issue.

Find a chain hotel or an  AirBnB for the night before and the night after grit blasting, at least.

N

9 minutes ago, BEngo said:

You do not want to live onboard whilst the boat is grit blasted.  It is a filthy job and the sh1t will get everywhere if the boat is not very carefully masked off and every orifice taped up. Ventilation then becomes a safety issue.

Find a chain hotel or an  AirBnB for the night before and the night after grit blasting, at least.

N

I was under the impression from the replies on here that as it’s a re black with 2 pack epoxy it doesn’t have to be blasted just roughed up?

21 minutes ago, BEngo said:

N

It was only a day for the grit blasting itself, we hired a car and went for a drive ?

I think they blasted and got the first coat on the same day (long time ago now), though a Lot of prep was done the day before, this included taping up most holes, the actual big plastic bag over the entire  boat was readied but not fully fitted till the morning of the grit blast.

..............Dave

19 minutes ago, Jinna said:

I was under the impression from the replies on here that as it’s a re black with 2 pack epoxy it doesn’t have to be blasted just roughed up?

Yes, I think you are right, but carefully reading posts is not what the forum does ?  and I think it has turned into a more general two pack thread which is what the forum does do.

...................Dave

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, BEngo said:

N

Don't quite know what happened, I only suggested a local boatyard that could help. Grit blasting was not mentioned and you don't wantto be anywhere near when it is done, but if all you have is a pressure wash, the they will accommodate you.

Edited by Ex Brummie