HELP My ignition light doesn’t work anymore! What the hell

BIG DOG BONGO

Featured Posts

Hi just tightened up my key ignition on my thornycroft board  and my red light has gone out and my batteries don’t seem to be charging... god knows what I’ve done, can anybody help before I open the Rum to lower my blood pressure ?? 

B280D2CE-1E14-4A98-BE8E-25D91477B9FE.jpeg

3 minutes ago, Nut said:

what would the charging of leisure batteries have to do with the ignition switch ?? have you checked the fuses?

Most domestic alternators on twin alternator boat are energised from the ignition on terminal. Either directly or via a relay. If a relay is involved its probably behind the instrument panel so messing with the ignition switch might have pulled a wire off that. If its a single alternator boat then there should be no relay.

Few alternators are fitted with a fuse in their main output and if the gauges work the ignition on terminal will be live.

• Greenie 1

Thanks guys it’s the red light not the ignition switch that was lose so when I tightened bolt the light does not work! Since the light isn’t working for some bizarre reason my batteries are not charging from alternator. So I’m assuming the light being on has something to do with that! I really don’t know! 

So replace the bulb and bush bash bosh! Should work again?

4 minutes ago, BIG DOG BONGO said:

Thanks guys it’s the red light not the ignition switch that was lose so when I tightened bolt the light does not work! Since the light isn’t working for some bizarre reason my batteries are not charging from alternator. So I’m assuming the light being on has something to do with that! I really don’t know! 

So replace the bulb and bush bash bosh! Should work again?

If it's the bulb and not the holder yes. That's almost certainly why your alternator isn't working, would be astonishing if it weren't the reason.  

If you need charge before you can get a bulb just start the engine and make a momentary connection between the two wires on the bulb holder and the alternator should leap into action.

10 minutes ago, BIG DOG BONGO said:

Sir Nibble you are a true gent!!! thank you so much and to TB, Nut Thank you guys. I will get one ordered and do a wire fix for now.. Thank you again

Note the word MOMENTARY - don't simply joint the two wires and lave them there