E clip, C clip. How to measure?

Featured Posts

Non boat but I wonder if someone can advise. My B in L's  Florabest (Lidl) electric chainsaw keeps throwing the chain. I've had a look and e clip holding the sprocket onto the motor shaft is missing. I have an identical saw so diagnosing the problem was simple. The shaft is 10mm measured with a Vernier. Can't measure the depth of the groove. What size clip do I source? I really don't know how e clips are sized. There are any number available on E Bay just need to know which one to get. (bet I'll have 9 left over.?)

Thanks

Edited by Slim

12 minutes ago, Slim said:

Non boat but I wonder if someone can advise. My B in L's  Florabest (Lidl) electric chainsaw keeps throwing the chain. I've had a look and e clip holding the sprocket onto the motor shaft is missing. I have an identical saw so diagnosing the problem was simple. The shaft is 10mm measured with a Vernier. Can't measure the depth of the groove. What size clip do I source? I really don't know how e clips are sized. There are any number available on E Bay just need to know which one to get. (bet I'll have 9 left over.?)

Thanks

Is it an e clip,or a circlip.A circlip seems more likely.Even if you know the exact size that you need,you will not be popular at a motor shop asking for one clip.

You will probably need to buy a pack of assorted clips.

Outside diameter, inside diameter,  (base of groove), thickness for metric e series clips.  Google tfc.eu.com. 

You may have to remove your clip to measure the ID. Find a drill that fits is probably easiest.

I think imperial ones are measured the same.

N

Edited by BEngo

Toolstation do a set of asstd cheap enough: https://www.toolstation.com/e-clip-pack/p79787

Or circlips: https://www.toolstation.com/external-circlip-pack/p31366

Or Screwfix do an assortment of both but a bit more money: https://www.screwfix.com/p/easyfix-circlips-handy-pack-1000-pcs/6671X

Halfords also do them, as do various sellers on eBay. 

If you buy a set and none of them fit at least you’ll be closer to knowing what size you need. 

Personally, I wouldn't be dicking around with a chainsaw I intended to use, unless I knew it had been put together with exactly the right parts. My cautious approach to such matters helps to explain why I still have a full complement of functional limbs, digits and face furniture.