Turning near Ely

Featured Posts

38 minutes ago, Gerry underwood said:

We are currently going up the Ouse towards Ely. Can someone please advise me if there is a wide enough area to turn a 59ftX13ft widebeam. We know we can turn at fish and duck but we want to go a bit further.

I'm confused about which way you're going: "up" implies upstream , but going upstream you get to Ely before the Fish and Duck.

Anyway, in Ely you can turn pretty much anywhere except some of the moored bits in town. Certainly you can turn  downstream of the railway bridge and upstream of the A142 bridge.

MP.

And there are lots of places to turn between Fish and Duck and Ely., for example the EA moorings at Little Thetford, and the junction with Soham Lode. As MP says, are you going upstream (south) or downstream (north)? 

It gets a bit trickier on the Cam and the Old West, but that's not the question you asked. You could probably turn almost anywhere on the Ely Ouse.

27 minutes ago, Gerry underwood said:

We are heading towards Ely from Stretham on the old West River.

See my comments above. Lots of places to turn between F&D and Ely. Don't get too close to the banks as you get near to Ely, it's a bit shallow and the mud is very sticky. Don't ask how I know this.

If you arrive in Ely from the direction of the Old West, stop where you like and can find a space. When you come to leave, keep going until you pass under the railway bridge. Beyond that is a wide, straight section where you can turn without problem. You may even be able to do it without using reverse.

MP.

• Greenie 1